The Official Florida @ Tennessee Weekend Series Thread (Thurs. 4/6 8PM EST) ESPNU (Fri. 4/7 7PM EST) SEC Network (Sat. 4/8 2PM EST) ESPN 2

Playing baseball in the SEC is the equivalent of playing football in a conference with 8 Alabamas. Florida entered tonight 4th in the SEC East... but third in the nation. Sure it feels bad to be 7th in the league, but the discrepancy will show in the post season when your 7th place team in the league can beat the number 1 from ANY other conference.
Please continue to post along w VP and the others who aren’t doom and gloom. It’s a breath of fresh air to not dwell on the negatives and actually see glass as half full.

Missouri is 3-9 in SEC play...Only 3 wins was a sweep agaisnt us. I'll say it again, this team is probably good, but not a Omaha or even a Super Regional team. I now question if we even make the SEC tourney...lol
No one else played in Columbia MO in 20 degree weather with 30 mph winds when they had to scrape snow off the field in order to play the DH on Sun. Plus, 2 of their best starting pitchers are now out. That weekend was a total cluster

No one else played in Columbia MO in 20 degree weather with 30 mph winds when they had to scrape snow off the field in order to play the DH on Sun. Plus, 2 of their best starting pitchers are now out. That weekend was a total cluster
The weather excuse looks even worse now than it did then. Fact is Missouri hasn’t even won another conference game since. It’s ok to admit we had a terrible weekend and earned 3 Ls. You act like Knoxville is Miami and our guys have never seen weather below 70 degrees.

It's kinda crazy but seems like the team really likes the warm weather. I'm not saying it was cool last night but they all just seems dosal if it's under 75 . Oh and nice crowd you hang out with.

Reactions: taylorvol
If you can’t function in cold weather then you can’t play in the majors for anyone expecting to contend. October/November in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, etc can be on the chilly side. Hell, even the Braves had some home games in the 40s during their run to the title two years ago.

If you can’t function in cold weather then you can’t play in the majors for anyone expecting to contend. October/November in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, etc can be on the chilly side. Hell, even the Braves had some home games in the 40s during their run to the title two years ago.
Believe I'm not trying to make an excuse for the guys. You need to step up no matter what the conditions are. Hope things turn around soon but baseball is a really hard game. We're probably not going to see another team like we saw the past 2 years.

Reactions: VolGirl81
Blake Burke is really the only reliable batter-- everyone else is streaky. Dollander is hurt by errors but seems to always give up a big inning. Team just out if synch-- hope Tony can get it fixed.

Was hoping that knowing our bats were not this year what they were last season our pitching would makeup for it and that's not been the case so far...

Also having some of the same defensive issues we had last season like base running blunders...pitchers doing a poor job holding runners on better...etc is concerning. We had hitters up and down the lineup last season that could change the score in a hurry...We don't have that now and need to manufacturer runs and aren't good at that so far...A lot of improvement is inorder.

A lot of new players....so hopefully they get better as the season progresses.

What can you say? Sproat shook off his issues. I was on vacation the weekend of Missouri so hardly got to see any of it. With that in mind this is the first game I've been really disappointed in our play. Watching that 3rd strike come in, time and again, with the bat on the shoulder is tough to watch. Keep saying 6-6 versus this four series gauntlet puts us in fine position. Probably need these next two to hit that number. Winning the SEC probably died in Columbia. Just trying to keep in mind that the main goal is be playing our best ball at tournament time. Playing at home in the regional is a big part of that so need to hold serve and win these home series. Im digging out my rain gear but pretty disappointed in the weather. It kills the crowd enthusiasm and we could really use it.

The weather excuse looks even worse now than it did then. Fact is Missouri hasn’t even won another conference game since. It’s ok to admit we had a terrible weekend and earned 3 Ls. You act like Knoxville is Miami and our guys have never seen weather below 70 degrees.
No. Exaggerate much? It was absolutely miserable conditions with cold and high winds with wind chills in the teens. They were literally removing snow from the field on Sat. Fact is Missouri has been decimated by injuries with their best 2 starters. If we played them again, it would be a different story.

Blake Burke is really the only reliable batter-- everyone else is streaky. Dollander is hurt by errors but seems to always give up a big inning. Team just out if synch-- hope Tony can get it fixed.
You are forgetting about Moore and Dickey who will play in MLB due to their elite bats. Dreiling as well. Off nights at the plate happen even for Hall of Famers.

It doesn't matter what the weather was like, the team wasn't ready to play in that series. It is late winter, the team should be ready for that and other contingencies. They scored a total of 6 runs in that series and gave up 23. At this point in the season, the starting pitching rotation has been underwhelming, Dollander, who I think is an outstanding pitcher and prospect is 4-3 but 1-3 in SEC play with a 4.19 era. He needs to settle down and stop giving up dingers. Drew Beam has performed better with a 2.51 era and a 3-1 record and Burns as underperformed quite a bit with a 4.97 era and also giving up untimely dingers. This team doesnt seem to have the fire that the past two teams had, hope they can catch it because the SEC schedule will eat them alive this year.

Reactions: Titan05
This season going forward from this start, and with the issues we all see, is a chance for CTV to really show his stuff. What can we be by season's end? Let's just keep taking it one game at a time.

We are the worst team in SEC, my bad, that is LSU. They should have been run ruled their last two games. We can’t hit. Oh my bad we did almost score 20 runs last Saturday. I just wonder what some of you guys expectation was going into the season. We are playing what any logical person would say is the toughest four week stretch in the history of college baseball.
And if some of you say Missouri was not a big deal then you really have no clue. I have Coached in it and when it is 20° and sleeting which it was it is really hard to play the game of baseball.

VN Store

Back