The Official Florida @ Tennessee Weekend Series Thread (Thurs. 4/6 8PM EST) ESPNU (Fri. 4/7 7PM EST) SEC Network (Sat. 4/8 2PM EST) ESPN 2

We are the worst team in SEC, my bad, that is LSU. They should have been run ruled their last two games. We can’t hit. Oh my bad we did almost score 20 runs last Saturday. I just wonder what some of you guys expectation was going into the season. We are playing what any logical person would say is the toughest four week stretch in the history of college baseball.
And if some of you say Missouri was not a big deal then you really have no clue. I have Coached in it and when it is 20° and sleeting which it was it is really hard to play the game of baseball.
Thank you for being a voice of reason. Some of these NegaVols always see everything from the lense of negativity and seem thrilled to tear down the players and team. I’m sure some are trolls but others claim to be be long time fans. It seems like a miserable existence to be that negative. The team needs true fans to support them now more than ever. Toughest 4 weeks in UT BaseVols history. Let’s turn it around.

It doesn't matter what the weather was like, the team wasn't ready to play in that series. It is late winter, the team should be ready for that and other contingencies. They scored a total of 6 runs in that series and gave up 23. At this point in the season, the starting pitching rotation has been underwhelming, Dollander, who I think is an outstanding pitcher and prospect is 4-3 but 1-3 in SEC play with a 4.19 era. He needs to settle down and stop giving up dingers. Drew Beam has performed better with a 2.51 era and a 3-1 record and Burns as underperformed quite a bit with a 4.97 era and also giving up untimely dingers. This team doesnt seem to have the fire that the past two teams had, hope they can catch it because the SEC schedule will eat them alive this year.
Guess we will agree to disagree. Weather impacted 22 team vs KY as well as 23 team vs Missouri. I‘ve played baseball while it’s snowing and saw lots of 0 for 4s. I think team will bounce back and host a Regional.

Is there any doubt we pissed off the SEC leadership? Plus they thought Texas A&M were gonna be good.

Yep, and we weren’t even scheduled to play Arkansas in the original schedule, but they had to go back and sneak that series in right in the middle of LSU, UF, and Vandy…

Yep, and we weren’t even scheduled to play Arkansas in the original schedule, but they had to go back and sneak that series in right in the middle of LSU, UF, and Vandy…

I always tell my kids when they are facing a problem or burden that may seem more than they think they can handle "that it ain't no hill for a climber!"

Iron sharpens Iron and if we survive the SEC gauntlet we will be all the more tougher for it. The Volunteers have always been "climbers".

Go Vols

Last edited:
I always tell me kids when they are facing what seems to them a problem or a burden that may seem more than they think they can handle "that it ain't no hill for a climber!"

Iron sharpens Iron and if we survive the SEC gauntlet we will be all the more tougher for it. The Volunteers have always been "climbers".

Go Vols

Yes indeed, we will likely take some lumps, but hopefully it will pay off in the long term!

The kid does have some good stuff but not even trying to protect the plate with 2 strikes shows me they were not dialed in. We have great hitters in the lineup and I know Elander and Tony teach them to be aggressive so I truly have no idea what was going on tonight.
Tony seemed to be at a loss of words for what happened, too.

Reactions: VolPack22
A few weeks back. The coaches shook up the lineup and I would not be surprised to see some real shake ups for at least one game.

Like I said in this thread. Christian Scott off all guys was the only player who had a plan at the plate. Some changes were made tonight and I bet they go further on Friday.

Worse, the batters are making poor plays or decisions in the field or running the bases. Some of the guys on the bench may not hit as well but they may be better fundamentally in field and running bases.

The big time portal guys are REALLY struggling right now. Well, at least 2 of them. Maybe that speaks to how tough the SEC really is.

We are all spoiled from the last 3+ years. 5 years ago, we would have been thrilled to be sitting where we are.
Some may be spoiled by the last 2 years but for me, and I would think for a lot of others as well, the frustration stems from seeing the same mistakes time and time again, the lack of discipline and urgency (at plate and in the field) and leadership/attitudes. C Mo’s final K was on a pitch damn near the same spot as two others he watched earlier in the game (belly button, outside). At what point do you realize that’s a strike with that guys zone and you can’t take it? UF couldn’t lay off of the chest high FB all night so Halvy puts two of them thigh high and they got blasted. Short pop-fly’s are still an adventure, Burke continues to commit errors on routine plays. It’s just maddening.

Is there any doubt we pissed off the SEC leadership? Plus they thought Texas A&M were gonna be good.
Yeah, I’ve thought long and hard about the schedule the SEC weaved for us. I came to a conclusion that it was more than likely an intentional means of trying to put us in a hole early that we’d be unable to dig out of. I think it will serve this team well in that we will have been through the hardest possible gauntlet of games ever, and it will pay dividends postseason.

Reactions: Ned Land and MAD
If we don't bat Maui at leadoff, who else has the wheels to fill that role?

For me, Maui looks more like a 6 hitter.

Reactions: TechnoVol
Yeah, I’ve thought long and hard about the schedule the SEC weaved for us. I came to a conclusion that it was more than likely an intentional means of trying to put us in a hole early that we’d be unable to dig out of. I think it will serve this team well in that we will have been through the hardest possible gauntlet of games ever, and it will pay dividends postseason.
4B091063-9D78-4421-96A5-A28F5ED21147.jpeg

Eric Cain said on the Volquest mailbag podcast yesterday that if the Florida-Tennessee game is rained out on Saturday that it will NOT be made up on Easter Sunday.

Reactions: MAD
Something I noticed early last night before the wheels fell off. It seemed like each time they showed the Florida dugout, there were a lot a smiling faces etc. They looked loose and like the were having fun. Our dugout, not so much. I know it was just one game and I could be WAY off... Anyone else notice this?

We are the worst team in SEC, my bad, that is LSU. They should have been run ruled their last two games. We can’t hit. Oh my bad we did almost score 20 runs last Saturday. I just wonder what some of you guys expectation was going into the season. We are playing what any logical person would say is the toughest four week stretch in the history of college baseball.
And if some of you say Missouri was not a big deal then you really have no clue. I have Coached in it and when it is 20° and sleeting which it was it is really hard to play the game of baseball.
I’ve often thought how hard it would be to be a parent of one of these players, knowing a bunch of the others and their families, and hang out on this board. While this board is better than most, we can be relentless.

Appreciate your presence here, and your contributions. (You too, @greasemachine, just stay on the couch the rest of the series, please. 😉)

If we don't bat Maui at leadoff, who else has the wheels to fill that role?

For me, Maui looks more like a 6 hitter.
I am not an Acuna hater but makes no difference who replaces him at lead off. Seldom does he even need the wheels. I think he needs about 6 to take some of the pressure off him, He had a hell of a time even getting to play at all and sometimes the old noggan gets affected.

I LOVE this. I spent the COVID year (2020) back and forth to pediatric oncology with one of my boys. The isolation during treatment was challenging. I know what a joy these players must bring to these kids, and I am grateful for their selflessness with their time. Important stuff is, well, important.

VN Store

Back