The Official FSU @ #1 Tennessee CWS Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 14) (7PM EST) (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One way an umpire judges swing or no swing is by looking straight down the foul line at home plate is whether he saw the end of the bat or not. With the foul line lining up with the first edge of the plate , if you see the end then the bat got into the plate if not it didn't. The umpire was very quick to signal no swing, so I think he may have been using that approach. Plus you sure as H### do not want to end the game on a marginal call. Let the players decide it.
I don’t care what anyone says - neither the 1st base umpire nor the 3rd base umpire can really see well enough from their distance and angle to determine whether a hitter went or not! It really should not even be an appealable call.

I hope some of you go back and read how silly your comment sound in retrospect and in reference to these players and coaches. Most of you have never been on a platform even close to this and cannot imagine. You talk like you played in the majors, or coached teams that won multiple championships. It is funny to me. I promise there is not a player coach in that dugout that is not trying their best but that is a crazy place to play with that many people. Add in umpires and other stuff.
I wanted to turn around to the guy sitting behind me last night who had not been to a single UT game and did not know one of our players might have been wearing FSU gear But the good part was he left in the seventh and talking smack about our players

Watched to the end. I knew it was a long shot but knew better than throwing in the towel on this group of guys. You should be proud today 🫡

According to that, Stamos was painting the corners like a pro. He really got a raw deal if that's right.
At best the ump did him no favors and at worst he was flat out squeezed. Either way, I wonder if he kicked himself a little on that 1st ball hit to the right side. With the blame immediately going to BB I had to replay it to see how quick he got to 1st, and he took off fast enough. But about 2 or 3 steps into his sprint I noticed his hat almost fly off and he grabbed it with his left hand to push it back down and it sure appeared to slow him up a scosche. Doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme, it was just the first of many interesting happenings in that awesome game.

Reactions: txbo
Truth be told, I am pretty sympathetic to them. They may have the worst CWS luck all time. So many appearances. 3x in the final. No titles.

I might if it weren’t versus the Vols. Good to be on the other side of a Jabar Gaffney moment.

And I don’t care what anyone says - neither the 1st base umpire nor the 3rd base umpire can really see well enough from their distance and angle to determine whether a hitter went or not! It really should not even be an appealable call.
I can see why they allow it. The plate umpire is - or should be, focused on the ball and the strike zone.

If they could use a reliable electronic ball and strike system, the plate umpire could better focus on swings. The plate umpire is really poorly positioned to see any of this

Reactions: VolPack22 and vol66
I don’t care what anyone says - neither the 1st base umpire nor the 3rd base umpire can really see well enough from their distance and angle to determine whether a hitter went or not! It really should not even be an appealable call.
You can see if the end of the bat got pointed toward you. You cannot tell if he rolled his wrists or not.

According to that, Stamos was painting the corners like a pro. He really got a raw deal if that's right.
And check out Combs pitches. No wonder he was talking to the ump about throwing strikes that were called balls. Lucky he didn't get tossed by blue behind that plate. That's one of the only things blue did right last niight. He let Combs, CMO and CTV openly vent without tossong them.

It's the angle the photo is taken. The replay on tv had a much better look. His wrists didn't break and the swing never broke the front of the plate. The ball was outside the zone. It was called correctly for a 50/50 play in the moment
Doesn't matter, we won. My entire point is that every championship team has a bit of luck. Oh well.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back