The Official FSU @ #1 Tennessee CWS Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 14) (7PM EST) (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLB doesn’t even define a check swing. Doesn’t say how far the bat has to go around or anything of the sort. It’s all a judgment call and the ump judged it was not a swing. Even if we wanted to go off what we think a check swing is, in your picture it looks as if Burke’s bat is parallel with the front of the plate and never actually goes beyond that 90 degree angle. Technically that is not a swing because he never made the bat go beyond that 90 degree angle. But once again, there is not a definition of a check swing in the rule book so you can argue all day but nobody actually knows what a check swing is because it’s not in the rule book.

And I don’t care what anyone says - neither the 1st base umpire nor the 3rd base umpire can really see well enough from their distance and angle to determine whether a hitter went or not! It really should not even be an appealable call.

Are these actual Trackman stats you see here or just estimates? I assume this is from the ESPN app. If so, we throw 4 strikes and walk the FSU batter.

View attachment 649024
ESPN uses their own K Zone technology for MLB games. Not sure if Trackman is associated with that or not. Also not sure if they use the same tech for NCAA games or not.

who has the Trackman data?

Every Pitch, Every Angle

• Drone: ESPN’s drone footage will provide dramatic aerials throughout each game.
  • MindFly: ESPN will place MindFly BodyCams on first- and second-base Umpires to bring viewers unprecedented, decisive shots of close plays throughout the MCWS. The wearable-camera technology uses an AI-stabilized POV camera with built-in microphone.
  • TrackMan: TrackMan radar will be employed to capture contemporary baseball data, including precise pitch speeds, spin and movement, HR distance, exit velocity and launch angle.
  • Ultra Slo-Mo: Two Fletcher Sports Nucleus Ultra Slo-Mo cameras will be deployed around the ballpark – one to show the relationship between the runners and the ball and one to track action at home plate and along the foul lines.
  • UmpCam: ESPN will provide an alternate UmpCam telecast on ESPN+ throughout the MCWS and on ESPNU for the best-of-three finals, highlighting the action from a behind-the-plate perspective.
  • Audio note: To capture the full impact of stadium sounds, ESPN is deploying around 75 mics including RF mics in the bases, buried mics at home plate and the pitcher’s mound, warning track mics spanning the entire outfield wall and even impact mics on the foul poles. With additional commentator mics in the booth and on the field and umpire mics, there will be upwards of 100 microphones available to capture the action in Omaha.

Last edited:
It shouldn't be lost in the late 9th inning rally, that Kavares Tears lead off the 9th by burning the FSU center fielder with a triple. I think that is what jump started the whole rally.
It did seem strange that the CF made 2 ? 3 ? plays that he either didn't play well or was out of position for. Especially when he was inserted as a defensive substitution as they called him. I know nothing about him or the FSU team but from what I saw of his play, he looked like someone who had replaced an injured player rather than being an upgrade from what they already had. Not dogging him at all, the plays weren't simple by any means.

Every Pitch, Every Angle

• Drone: ESPN’s drone footage will provide dramatic aerials throughout each game.
  • MindFly: ESPN will place MindFly BodyCams on first- and second-base Umpires to bring viewers unprecedented, decisive shots of close plays throughout the MCWS. The wearable-camera technology uses an AI-stabilized POV camera with built-in microphone.
  • TrackMan: TrackMan radar will be employed to capture contemporary baseball data, including precise pitch speeds, spin and movement, HR distance, exit velocity and launch angle.
  • Ultra Slo-Mo: Two Fletcher Sports Nucleus Ultra Slo-Mo cameras will be deployed around the ballpark – one to show the relationship between the runners and the ball and one to track action at home plate and along the foul lines.
  • UmpCam: ESPN will provide an alternate UmpCam telecast on ESPN+ throughout the MCWS and on ESPNU for the best-of-three finals, highlighting the action from a behind-the-plate perspective.
  • Audio note: To capture the full impact of stadium sounds, ESPN is deploying around 75 mics including RF mics in the bases, buried mics at home plate and the pitcher’s mound, warning track mics spanning the entire outfield wall and even impact mics on the foul poles. With additional commentator mics in the booth and on the field and umpire mics, there will be upwards of 100 microphones available to capture the action in Omaha.
So that play by play is actually using TrackMan. I found the box score from last night's game and reviewed several of the at bats from both teams. If I'm to believe this data, that home plate ump balls/strikes percentage was alarmingly bad.

For all the talk about the check swing call, it was undeniably a tough/close call. It’s not like they totally blew an obvious call. I am feel FSU’s pain, but there’s zero reason to put an asterisk by that.

Like I said, sometimes championship teams need a little luck. It's okay to admit that, ALL teams have it. But to call people idiots or not true fans is not fair. I'm happy we had luck on our side.

Look at the third base line. That picture is taken from way right of the 3B ump. It was a 50/50 from his perspective.

Last edited:
So that play by play is actually using TrackMan. I found the box score from last night's game and reviewed several of the at bats from both teams. If I'm to believe this data, that home plate ump balls/strikes percentage was alarmingly bad.
the box scores on ESPN?.....NM found it

I hope some of you go back and read how silly your comment sound in retrospect and in reference to these players and coaches. Most of you have never been on a platform even close to this and cannot imagine. You talk like you played in the majors, or coached teams that won multiple championships. It is funny to me. I promise there is not a player coach in that dugout that is not trying their best but that is a crazy place to play with that many people. Add in umpires and other stuff.
I wanted to turn around to the guy sitting behind me last night who had not been to a single UT game and did not know one of our players might have been wearing FSU gear But the good part was he left in the seventh and talking smack about our players

I hope some of you go back and read how silly your comment sound in retrospect and in reference to these players and coaches. Most of you have never been on a platform even close to this and cannot imagine. You talk like you played in the majors, or coached teams that won multiple championships. It is funny to me. I promise there is not a player coach in that dugout that is not trying their best but that is a crazy place to play with that many people. Add in umpires and other stuff.
I wanted to turn around to the guy sitting behind me last night who had not been to a single UT game and did not know one of our players might have been wearing FSU gear But the good part was he left in the seventh and talking smack about our players
Negas In Omaha! Say it ain’t so! They talked about you last night so check out the replay sometime! What a game!!! I said It’s Great To Be A Tennessee Vol! Enjoy your week because I will see you next Saturday!

For all the talk about the check swing call, it was undeniably a tough/close call. It’s not like they totally blew an obvious call. I am feel FSU’s pain, but there’s zero reason to put an asterisk by that.
One way an umpire judges swing or no swing is by looking straight down the foul line at home plate is whether he saw the end of the bat or not. With the foul line lining up with the first edge of the plate , if you see the end then the bat got into the plate if not it didn't. The umpire was very quick to signal no swing, so I think he may have been using that approach. Plus you sure as H### do not want to end the game on a marginal call. Let the players decide it.

Only here for the weekend. Having a job, new job, is not good. Will drive through the night again going home after Sunday night and then hopefully come back next weekend.
Oh that’s right….stupid jobs…I forgot!!! I’m not looking forward to the drive but we will be there loud and proud next weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back