The Official FSU @ #1 Tennessee CWS Game 1 Thread (Fri. June 14) (7PM EST) (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting. It was interesting hearing their take on "The Rant"--but I don't think they got it.

I think "The Rant" was Tony (1) getting ahead of the Texas story (deep NIL resources being promised to a coach who deeply suspects NIL-motivated players in his clubhouse), (2) pre-setting the narrative for the media in Omaha (what success is and isn't), and (3) establishing for players what is really at stake for them in Omaha--to play in such a way that, for the rest of their lives, they will be respected for [pardon the cliche] how they played the game (as "warriors") rather than whether or not they bring back hardware. And by doing so in a press conference, he (4) modeled for his players how to deal with those kinds of questions in Omaha. He knows his guys, and that their mannerly respectfulness toward adults could be turned against them by experienced news story creators.

My take is that Tony's "rant" was neither off-the-cuff nor emotionally provoked by some writer. He just used those as convenient excuses to say with passion what he wanted to say anyway. He established as "team policy" what his players are to focus on inside their own heads, and gave them the verbal stick with which to fend off sports journalists. I'd say he used his rant to equip them for Omaha, on field and off.

His rant also put the media on notice. Anyone who brings up that (perfectly logical to ask) question about winning the CWS will be seen as poking the bear and viewed a little less respectfully for asking a Barbara Walters question in the mecca of college baseball.

As for recruiting, I think his rant set the table for how he wants potential future Vols to observe the current players in this highest profile arena. When you consider the various points in Tony's postgame sermon, he was begging certain questions: How hard do Tennessee players compete on the field? How much do they care for and cover for each other when things don't go right? How willing are Tennessee players to put the team first despite how eager they are to have the ball or bat in critical moments? How well does Tennessee's staff develop players mentally, physically, and technically, to reach their individual potentials? He practically handed every interested player a checklist.

I think Tony Vitello is brilliant. He uses the ruse of "being Italian" and "not the smartest guy" to create space for himself to say things bluntly and unconventionally so that they have greater impact, without incurring penalty from the press for "lack of statesmanship" that a more polished personality would be held to.

To murder the simile... Tony Vitello is Italian like a fox!
You smart man!

Reactions: BruisedOrange
I know I just went and walked outside for 45 minutes. I am a nervous wreck
I was working in a lab basement lab for a little while, walked home. (which takes about 10 min if I walk slow, which I did.)

It's 91 outside, which I love.

Now I'm going to try to do a little more work after I eat a late lunch and call it a day.

I don’t know if I can eat or not. I may just drink

We're having Quorn and lemonade, which is a very light lunch because Quorn is just compressed mushrooms with a coating like chicken nuggets have, so it's a really, really light lunch. js

Sometimes, when I don't feel like eating I eat small amount of something healthy like a pear, or celery, or Asparagus etc. 'Tis the season haha.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
We're having Quorn and lemonade, which is a very light lunch because Quorn is just compressed mushrooms with a coating like chicken nuggets have, so it's a really, really light lunch. js

Sometimes, when I don't feel like eating I eat small amount of something healthy like a pear, or celery, or Asparagus etc. 'Tis the season haha.
are those shrooms magical

I don’t know if I can eat or not. I may just drink
I've been informed that after lunch we'll be drinking lightly and the beverage being served is Sweetwater 420 which is a pale ale, (I think)

haha, I'm spent, can't think straight I'm tired of making any decisions about anything, so I'm gettin' whatever my roomates serve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 84Volfan
I’m picking the Tennessee Volunteers to win the 2024 College World Series.
The factual reasons why realistically they could win the College World Series is they do have a rotation of reliable pitching.
They have an offense that can score a high amount of runs.
Also, they have the ability to hit home runs, hit the baseball into the outfield, base hits, and bunt if needed.
That makes them a Fantastic Four offensive threat so it’s challenging to defeat them even if a foe is able to keep the game close.
I'm picking UT to lose tonight for the factual reason that...well...it's UT and I'm making the call.

I've been informed that after lunch we'll be drinking lightly and the beverage being served is Sweetwater 420 which is a pale ale, (I think)

haha, I spent, can't think straight I'm tired of making any decisions about anything, so I'm gettin' whatever my roomates serve.
Ever tried Dragons Milk Crimson Keep? If not, give it a taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back