The Official Tennessee @ Arkansas Series Thread (4/14 8PM EST SEC NETWORK) (4/15 7PM EST SEC NET+) (4/16 3PM EST SEC NET+)

We have the pitching to compete but our bats have yet to show they can be consistent. Plus our defense makes it really hard for our pitchers to keep runs off of the board. We have got to get better at fielding and hitting to make it far this year.

fair assessment.

Reactions: VolPack22
Sorry was the wrong stat. You Negas got me so worked up I posted the wrong one.
I’ve seen that posted numerous times and I think everyone is misunderstanding or misquoting it. The last 2 NC’s both started 0-8 this year but not in their championship seasons. Hell, State was the #6 national seed the year they won.

Are you saying State and OM started 0-8 this year? Cause neither did in their championship seasons. And their success last year (and really 2021) is irrelevant to the next years team. Baseball has more turnover, mashed together rosters and unknowns than any other sport. Lemonis inherited a solid core of guys that he’s not been able to duplicate himself.
Ole Miss was 7-14 going into their last three series last season.

I’ve seen that posted numerous times and I think everyone is misunderstanding or misquoting it. The last 2 NC’s both started 0-8 this year but not in their championship seasons. Hell, State was the #6 national seed the year they won.

I've heard it on broadcasts, and seen it in the Twitter-verse so it's clearly out there. I do hope we can mount the kind of run Ole Miss did last year. We have the pitching to do it.

On April 15 in Baseball History...
  • 1909 - Before an Opening Day crowd of 30,000 at New York, Red Ames pitches a no-hitter for nine innings against the Brooklyn Superbas, surrenders a hit with one out in the tenth, then loses the game 3-0 in the 13th. The Giants outfield has no putouts.

• 1918 - The A.L. season opens with Babe Ruth pitching a four-hit 7-1 victory over the A's. Red Sox manager Ed Barrow will start Ruth's conversion to slugger by working him into 72 games in the outfield and first base.

• 1947 - Jackie Robinson goes hitless in three trips in his debut but handles 11 chances at first base, a new position for him, in a 5-3 Brooklyn win over the Boston Braves. Coach Clyde Sukeforth, interim manager and the man credited with first scouting Robinson, guides the team to two wins before stepping down.

• 1954 - Clint Courtney of the Orioles hits the first major league home run in Memorial Stadium. The Birds draw an Opening Day record crowd of 46,354 in a 3-1 afternoon win against the White Sox.

• 1958 - The San Francisco Giants defeat the Los Angeles Dodgers in the first major league game played at Seals Stadium, with Ruben Gomez pitching an 8-0 shutout. Giants shortstop Daryl Spencer hits the first home run. The Giants set an attendance record for Seals Stadium by drawing 23,192 fans.

• 1966 - Bob Gibson's 9-2 win at Forbes Field is the 18th straight for St. Louis in Pittsburgh. St. Louis ties the major league record (set by the Dodgers against the Phillies in 1945-46) for consecutive road wins against one club.

• 1968 - Three records are smashed when the Astros score an unearned run in the 24th inning to squeeze by the Mets 1-0 after six hours and six minutes. It sets the mark as the longest N.L. game played to completion, the longest major league night game, and the first 23 innings are the longest major league scoreless game. The game ties the A.L.'s longest complete game (A's 4, Red Sox 1 in 24 innings on September 1, 1906).

• 1972 - Reggie Jackson sports a mustache as the A's top the Twins 4-3 in 11 innings. Jackson is reported to be the first major league player with facial hair since Wally Schang in 1914.

• 1976 - Newly remodeled Yankee Stadium is jammed with 52,613 fans for Opening Day ceremonies. The 1923 Yankee team is honored, and Bob Shawkey, winner of the 1923 Stadium opener, throws out the first ball. The Yankees beat the Twins 11-4 on 14 hits, but the only home runs are two hit by Minnesota's Dan Ford.

• 1983 - Detroit pitcher Milt Wilcox is one out away from a perfect game when pinch hitter Jerry Hairston singles, and Wilcox settles for a 6-0 one-hitter over the White Sox. This is only the third time in major league history a perfect bid has been stopped with one out to go.

• 1987 - Juan Nieves throws the first no-hitter in Brewers history, winning 7-0 against Baltimore. Milwaukee runs its record to 9-0.

• 1993 - Andre Dawson became the 25th player to hit 400 home runs as the Boston Red Sox beat the Cleveland Indians 4-3.

• 1993 - Sparky Anderson got his 2,000th victory as a manager in the Detroit Tigers' 3-2 win over the Oakland Athletics.

• 1997 - The 50th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's breaking the color barrier in baseball is celebrated before 54,047 at Shea Stadium during a game between the Mets and the Dodgers. President Bill Clinton and Jackie's widow, Rachel Robinson, both speak during the 35-minute presentation, but the surprise of the evening occurs when acting commissioner Bud Selig announces that the number 42 will be retired in perpetuity for every team. On the field, the Mets beat the Dodgers 5-0.

• 1998 - The first-ever American League-National League doubleheader ends up a good day for New York. The Yankees are forced to come to Shea Stadium after a beam falls into the stands at Yankee Stadium on April 13. The Yankees earn their first victory in Queens in 22 years as they defeat the Angels 6-3. Former Mets star Darryl Strawberry, the all-time home run leader at Shea, adds to his total with a shot into the left field bleachers. In the regularly-scheduled night game, the Mets beat the Cubs 2-1. The Yankees, who played at Shea in 1974-75 while Yankee Stadium was renovated, are the winner in the attendance department (40,743 to 16,012).

Baseball Birthdays on April 15...

Baseball Deaths on April 15...

Reactions: txbo and volz2wallz
Interesting that you don’t think pitching is good. Likely deepest staff in college baseball.
Not what I said. What I said was that what I'm seeing right now isn't encouraging when thinking of making the dance. We all know the struggles that some of our pitchers have had which led to the shake up of the rotation tonight. Same for some of our hitters. Our defense and base running have been questionable all season long. Right now what I'm seeing doesn't give me the warm fuzzies when thinking of the post season. Simple as that.

Reactions: vol66
Our best lineup armchair fan...
1. Dickey LF
2. Scott 2B
3. Burke 1B
4. Merrit RF
5. Denton 3B
6. Dreiling DH
7. Ahuna/Jaslove SS
8. Ensley CF
9. Taylor C

Reactions: Volfan1000
Got in real late so watched the game over.. I’m not trying to be negative but reading here now I mean I love the optimism from a few posters but we have looked like dog sh*t at the plate for 2/3 of sec play lol.. this team lacks the ego and confidence in my eyes.. talented? yes, could they figure it out? Yes, should we expect to make it to the college World Series? No, also I hate to say it but right now tennessee is the biggest over hyped team this year as of now.. and that’s just taking the orange colored glasses off, also hate to say it but USCjr and UK are good ball clubs.. and for the ones saying it gets better down the stretch might be looking at 2 top 10 teams after Georgia and if we don’t get to 13 conference wins I don’t really think we have a very good shot at the ncaa.. but again that can change

Reactions: minorvol
Today is a new day. Here’s to the Vols taking the next two to win the series. Must eliminate the boneheaded errors.

Go Vols.

Heard that with LSU and UF, too. Hope that finally comes to pass this weekend. We really need to win a series against a really good opponent.

Hope so too. However, at this point, it is quickly becoming a rebuilding season.

Need another power right hand bat to emerge.

Defense is trainwreck.

Took a hard look this morning at our infielders defensive fielding percentages. I never imagined this would be the case. We’re in the game last night until the end if we even play decent defense. It really puts a strain on our pitchers and ramps up the pressure on our hitters when we keep giving up these runs early. Still have a ways to go, and I hope we can fix this, but time will tell. Also have got to dial the strike outs down.

Play some clean baseball the next two days and we take the next two.

Reactions: taylorvol
Not what I said. What I said was that what I'm seeing right now isn't encouraging when thinking of making the dance. We all know the struggles that some of our pitchers have had which led to the shake up of the rotation tonight. Same for some of our hitters. Our defense and base running have been questionable all season long. Right now what I'm seeing doesn't give me the warm fuzzies when thinking of the post season. Simple as that.
Got it. Baserunning has improved. No issues in the last couple of weeks. Pitching is still a strength. Just got to get Burns back on track.

TV someone needs to flip the magic switch. It's all there pitching is really close just a few too many home runs. Our middle infield has to start clicking. You think Maui has let it get in his head?

Took a hard look this morning at our infielders defensive fielding percentages. I never imagined this would be the case. We’re in the game last night until the end if we even play decent defense. It really puts a strain on our pitchers and ramps up the pressure on our hitters when we keep giving up these runs early. Still have a ways to go, and I hope we can fix this, but time will tell. Also have got to dial the strike outs down.

Play some clean baseball the next two days and we take the next two.
Defense has been the Achilles Heel's as well as untimely hitting........last year we simply outscored everyone which covered up some of the pitching mistakes and fielding errors to some degree. When you don't score more than 2-3 runs, every mistake is magnified by a wide margin. Just make it to the post season.......

I was told Kentucky are frauds. LSU appears to be the frauds.
Don't forget SCjr. I said at the beginning of this gauntlet that this schedule was no accident and we might have a completely beaten down an dejected bunch by the end of this stretch. Now we have UK and SC, both of whom might be top 10, to finish what's left of us off at season's end. Did I mention that this schedule was no accident?

VN Store

Back