The Official Tennessee @ Arkansas Series Thread (4/14 8PM EST SEC NETWORK) (4/15 7PM EST SEC NET+) (4/16 3PM EST SEC NET+)

How do you figure LSU are frauds? They’ve lost 6 games. It’s baseball. You don’t win them all. This is the 5th SEC series of the season, and they haven’t lost one yet. And every team so far has been ranked in the top 12 at the time they played. Two in the top 6.

Their pitching staff is depleted right now. 3 relievers and 1 starter are out at the moment. That would hurt any team. Are they the #1 team in the country? Right now, I’d say no, but that doesn’t mean they are frauds by any stretch. And although it’s nice to see the #1 next to your name, it doesn’t mean anything right now. It only matters if you finish #1 in Omaha!

In regards to Tenn, your pitching staff is unreal. Get the offense rolling consistently, and I think you’ll be a dangerous team in the post season. I know it’s frustrating as a fan to see the struggles they’re going through, but I still believe they’ll pull it together and finish the season strong. The SEC is just an unbelievable conference, and there really are no gimmes. Gotta bring your A game every weekend. Tenn has the talent to compete with anyone in the league. Hang in there Vol fans, and keep the faith!
I think Volpack was implying that LSU, while loaded when healthy, may not be the #1 team right now….it’s all subjective right now anyway

How do you figure LSU are frauds? They’ve lost 6 games. It’s baseball. You don’t win them all. This is the 5th SEC series of the season, and they haven’t lost one yet. And every team so far has been ranked in the top 12 at the time they played. Two in the top 6.

Their pitching staff is depleted right now. 3 relievers and 1 starter are out at the moment. That would hurt any team. Are they the #1 team in the country? Right now, I’d say no, but that doesn’t mean they are frauds by any stretch. And although it’s nice to see the #1 next to your name, it doesn’t mean anything right now. It only matters if you finish #1 in Omaha!

In regards to Tenn, your pitching staff is unreal. Get the offense rolling consistently, and I think you’ll be a dangerous team in the post season. I know it’s frustrating as a fan to see the struggles they’re going through, but I still believe they’ll pull it together and finish the season strong. The SEC is just an unbelievable conference, and there really are no gimmes. Gotta bring your A game every weekend. Tenn has the talent to compete with anyone in the league. Hang in there Vol fans, and keep the faith!

I hope, but the best pitching in the world can't overcome crap fielding and no run support.

I think Volpack was implying that LSU, while loaded when healthy, may not be the #1 team right now….it’s all subjective right now anyway

I guess I just wouldn’t have used the word “frauds” is all, but I hear ya. And I personally don’t think LSU is #1 right now either. I’d throw them somewhere between 6-10, but definitely not #1. And yes, rankings are all subjective for sure.

Imagine if Tenn, SC, Arky, Vanderbilt, Florida, or LSU played in a conference other than the SEC! They’d all likely only have 2-3 losses on the season at most, and would have a case for being #1. The competition in SEC can make a great team look average very quickly, and this effects the rankings quite a bit.

Some of you have asked about the timing ball called on Kirby last night. There is a part to the timing rule that I did not realize until talking after the game. When a pitcher goes to throw to a base, the fielder has to be in the vicinity of the base or making a concerted effort to get there. Both were called pick offs. When Kirby spun on the first, he did not think Maui was close enough to the base so he did not throw it in fear that he would get called for a balk by throwing to a fielder not at the base. When they called it again and he spun he knew he would be called for the ball if he did not throw it, so he just lobbed it there but they ruled that Maui was still not close enough to the base and he was called for the ball. No big fault on anyone. Just a part of the rule that everyone will have to get used to. The filters are going to have to realize once the pitcher begins to step off they have to break to the bag.
The called ball was the lesser of 2 evils. I thought it was clearly a balk.

If I'm being honest, they just aren't very likeable or exciting. I don't mean this to be nasty about it, but they just have no personality...no energy. Kinda bland and frustrating at the same time if that's possible.
If this team kept the personality of last year, we'd never win a series. Officials wouldn't allow it.

Interesting that you don’t think pitching is good. Likely deepest staff in college baseball.
The starting pitching has not been good outside of Beam, when it matters. Burns ERA in SEC play is 11.9, Dolly’s is 6.3. The latter won’t cut it in this league, the former will get your brains beat in.

At a wedding today. What sucks about being a big 3 college sports fan is that a wedding is only acceptable in July and august, and living in the south that’s fairly rare.

Hope it’s over before 7. If not, keep posting scores periodically please lol.

Some of you have asked about the timing ball called on Kirby last night. There is a part to the timing rule that I did not realize until talking after the game. When a pitcher goes to throw to a base, the fielder has to be in the vicinity of the base or making a concerted effort to get there. Both were called pick offs. When Kirby spun on the first, he did not think Maui was close enough to the base so he did not throw it in fear that he would get called for a balk by throwing to a fielder not at the base. When they called it again and he spun he knew he would be called for the ball if he did not throw it, so he just lobbed it there but they ruled that Maui was still not close enough to the base and he was called for the ball. No big fault on anyone. Just a part of the rule that everyone will have to get used to. The filters are going to have to realize once the pitcher begins to step off they have to break to the bag.
I’m new to the forum and see you have a picture of Conell as your profile. Are you related?

The starting pitching has not been good outside of Beam, when it matters. Burns ERA in SEC play is 11.9, Dolly’s is 6.3. The latter won’t cut it in this league, the former will get your brains beat in.
Overall team SEC ERA of 4.92 isn’t bad based on competition and juiced ball. .243 team batting average and .950 team fielding % in SEC play must get better quickly.

This season has been frustrating to say the least. I’ve seen some people claim vitellos coaching ability has been covered up the past 3 years with all the talent they’ve had. Not sure I buy it
That’s simply ignorant thinking by those so called fans. Don‘t buy into that NegaVol talk. 🍊👍👊😀😃🍊

Reactions: feathersax
CTV has eluded to this ever so slightly all season, team doesn’t have an identity. Baseball is a sport where all players need to be on the same page, and we aren’t. That’s why very few teams that are “bought” seldom do well. I’m using the Yankees and Dodgers as examples here.…..there just don’t gel.

A less talented team that “gels” will always outperform the more talented team that isnt on the same page
I know it likely won’t happen especially due to how the MLB draft can gut a team, but I’d love to see a cap on # of portal transfers a team can accept. I love a “home grown“ team of young men that have grown up together, paid their dues together, and grown close through all the trials and tribulations of competition in the toughest and most demanding conference in college baseball. I’m afraid we might not see awesome stories of loyalty and perseverance like Trey Lipscomb, Jorel Ortega, and Cortland Lawson to name a few.

Overall team SEC ERA of 4.92 isn’t bad based on competition and juiced ball. .243 team batting average and .950 team fielding % in SEC play must get better quickly.
You don't just start fielding better. That number us who we are. Batting ang pitching can flip a switch.

Admittedly I got upset last night and gave up after our AB top 6. But I’ll be tuned back in tonight. Very frustrating to watch. My MW2 DMZ group watches and we play at the same time. That helps with the grrrrrr moments

You don't just start fielding better. That number us who we are. Batting ang pitching can flip a switch.
Fielding can be improved with better fundamentals (playing ball vs letting it play you, improving your footwork, taking better angles, improved communication, etc). In addition some of it is simply pressing too much.

CTV has eluded to this ever so slightly all season, team doesn’t have an identity. Baseball is a sport where all players need to be on the same page, and we aren’t. That’s why very few teams that are “bought” seldom do well. I’m using the Yankees and Dodgers as examples here.…..there just don’t gel.

A less talented team that “gels” will always outperform the more talented team that isnt on the same page
There is much truth in this statement. Many times the World Series winners have guys that are not big time names.

Unfortunately, there will be more portal movement with UT in the off-season, with some that may come as a surprise. But again, all teams will deal with that from now on…

Reactions: chuckiepoo
There is much truth in this statement. Many times the World Series winners have guys that are not big time names.

Unfortunately, there will be more portal movement with UT in the off-season, with some that may come as a surprise. But again, all teams will deal with that from now on…
I hope NIL and the transfer portal doesn’t make college sports pro sports lite. The pendulum needed to swing but I’m afraid it’s flown off course. Will we see 75% roster overhauls every year between portal transfers in/out and the MLB draft? I sure hope not.

VN Store

Back