The Official Tennessee @ UGA Series Thread (Fri. 5/5 6PM EST) (Sat. 5/6 2PM EST) (Sun. 5/7 1PM EST) All games on SEC NETWORK+

LSU bats are good but their pitching is very suspect. Other than Skenes (and sometimes Floyd) their pitching is not very good.

We struggled this weekend but so did a lot of other teams in the SEC. I think we’re going to be fine.

I loved playing on the road! Made no difference to me. And speaking of Georgia ballpark......I always thought, and still do, that Foley Field was the best overall field in the league. So, playing poor on the road this year is what it is, and there are NO excuses.

Thanks for the response.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Sure, home teams often get calls, that happens in most sports. But, I just think it is a comfort level at home. You sleep in your bed. You eat your cafeterias food. You get to the park to the comforts of a luxurious clubhouse. Then, you play in a park where you know the contours and angles. You know where the sun is. You know the shadows and the backdrops. You do this every day in practice, and 30+ times in games.

On the road, look east, not west, Have to find the sun, sleep on hotel mattresses, and count steps to the outfield wall.

Familiarity matters, especially when reacting to fast pitches in a fraction of a second.

We aren’t the only team to be better at home than in the road, but I think that, especially for a team with as many first year starters as we have, unfamiliarity with road parks hurts us.

Just my thoughts on it.

Thanks for answering my question. Makes sense.

As many TN fans there today as GA. I’m going to blame it on the barking fans... but to answer your question, there‘s a few things that benefit the home team. They tend to know how the field and park plays (every park has it’s own intricacies and plays differently). The rules of who bats first and bats last also give the home team a huge advantage. It’s why we ** and moaned last year and the year prior when we were the host team in NCAA’s yet had to bat first. It neutralized one of the main advantages of hosting.

Appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

I loved playing on the road! Made no difference to me. And speaking of Georgia ballpark......I always thought, and still do, that Foley Field was the best overall field in the league. So, playing poor on the road this year is what it is, and there are NO excuses.
Foley field is nowhere close to the best field in the league

A friend who is pretty connected to team, not Kirby, says Burns is sore is why he did not throw this weekend. Not worth risking it. That makes more sense than all the stuff discussed on here.

Sometimes it is better not to ask questions and trust the coaches as they know what they are doing and have earned that right. I hope Kirby is doing well. Please tell him that Vol94 wears his jersey with pride in Middle TN and elsewhere when I travel.

I hope everyone has a great night and a better Monday. I’m confident this team will make a deep post season run beyond regionals, regardless if home or away. Maybe I’m too positive but just my gut feeling. It’s baseball and things didn’t go our way the last two games. The same can be said for LSU and Florida.

GO VOLS!

I think we should schedule Tennessee Tech for a wood bat game at Smokies Stadium. Do something different for once. Great location and fans can come. Make it interesting.
How can some of you go from this is the worst team ever to play this game to I would gladly go watch. We should play more away games. That makes no sense. Play as few as you can away.
You jinxed us by stanning for GA football and barking before the series imo! 😂 Tighten up! 😂 We need you to focus!!!

Yup. 16 is the hosting magic number here. 15 isn’t enough. But to even be talking about this given this team was 5-10 is a good thing. Given how they play on the road, might need to sweep UK to give them a shot at hosting.

Given the way SC has started to play lately, taking 2 from them is possible. Yes, it’ll be tough, but it’s doable. Remember, this Georgia team swept Arkansas in their last home SEC series. They’re very Jekyll and Hyde. We got good Georgia the last 2 days.

As tough as we’ve been at home, sweeping Kentucky is very possible, but we should at least take 2. If we take 2 from Kentucky and only 1 from SC, I think there is still a path to hosting, but it probably involves making the SECCG.

Completely fooled and turned it on the ump. That’s a strike all day regardless and way too close to take with 2 strikes. That’s the stuff that makes us look dumb and irritates the hacks in blue.
Not what happened. I was sitting 25 feet away. Scott called time but it wasn’t granted. Scott thought it had been granted and wasn’t ready for pitch.

Looks perhaps to be a 2019ish year. That’s the year I started watching Tennessee baseball.

I dunno. It’s a bit confounding. We replaced everyone in the field, we been saying it all year. It’s not February. None of these guys are new anymore, maybe, Cal, AJ, a couple guys like that, but most of these guys have been playing all year.

VN Store

Back