The Official Tennessee @ UGA Series Thread (Fri. 5/5 6PM EST) (Sat. 5/6 2PM EST) (Sun. 5/7 1PM EST) All games on SEC NETWORK+

My parents have that on VHS and DVD. Excellent movie, I liked it. I liked the reboot, but my parents were expecting the reboot/Maverick to be better than it was. They chalk it up to age.

Any thoughts on that?
Sounds like maybe I'm in the age range of your parents. I saw the original at the theater as a teenager.

Maverick is the best movie I've seen in a long long time.

I have always been interested in the dimensions of Foley Field, as it just seems weirdly asymmetrical. 350 down the line to left, 314 down the line to right, and 404 to dead center. How does that look in person and why the huge disparity down the lines?
That 350 down the left field line plays like 325, the ball jumps everywhere at FF

I have always been interested in the dimensions of Foley Field, as it just seems weirdly asymmetrical. 350 down the line to left, 314 down the line to right, and 404 to dead center. How does that look in person and why the huge disparity down the lines?
I was there probably five years ago. IIRC, there’s a hill and houses behind right field which may have influenced the dimensions.

Reactions: cardvolfan
You can’t see down left field line from section I was sitting in which was odd. Overall GA crowd was light likely due to persistent rain early and forecasted rain throughout. There’s a hill behind RF and a house on top of that hill which is probably why the short dimensions in RF. Playing surface was immaculate.

Sounds like maybe I'm in the age range of your parents. I saw the original at the theater as a teenager.

Maverick is the best movie I've seen in a long long time.
I have to agree about Maverick. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan, and I kept thinking I'd enjoy the movie more if they made it without him in it. But it turned out to be everything I could have possibly wanted it to me. I loved it. (I was 20 when the first one came out.)

I have to agree about Maverick. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan, and I kept thinking I'd enjoy the movie more if they made it without him in it. But it turned out to be everything I could have possibly wanted it to me. I loved it. (I was 20 when the first one came out.)
I haven’t watched either, do you need to watch the first one for the second one to make sense?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
How about a bunt strikeout counting as one. I told my sons that might be the first time that I have ever seen a third strike bunt strike out in person. Even with all my years of umpiring I’ve never seen anybody, bunt on third strike.

It used to be a semi-regular event in like Babe Ruth leagues back 40 years ago. A small 13-year old number nine hitter, facing a hard throwing 15-year old. Managers would sometimes let them try three bunts.

Now days, extremely rare to see..

How about a bunt strikeout counting as one. I told my sons that might be the first time that I have ever seen a third strike bunt strike out in person. Even with all my years of umpiring I’ve never seen anybody, bunt on third strike.
Used to happen all the time in the majors. At least when they played real baseball. When you didn't get to bat if you didn't take your turn out in the field.

You know, the National League, before MLB went full suckage with inter-league series and the full DH.

Pitchers would work on bunting and have at it for three tries unless they had actual hitting ability and experience.

But I may have just steered us down a rabbit trail.

I haven’t watched either, do you need to watch the first one for the second one to make sense?
You could still enjoy Maverick but......talk about being totally lost on the nuance of the actual plot vehicles and inter-personal interactions.

Do NOT attempt to watch Maverick without having experienced Top Gun.

Cool story bro: I heard about a chance meeting of Tom Cruise and Kenny Loggins in an elevator a few years ago right after talk of Top Gun 2 emerged. Kenny says to Tom, so you think there's room for Danger Zone in the new movie? Crusie just looks at him kinda dumbfounded and says, "Kenny, it ain't Top Gun without Danger Zone." Like, duh, of course it'll feature prominently in Maverick.

If you haven't seen the first one, you wouldn't begin to understand the audience's emotions when that song cranks up in Maverick.

Used to happen all the time in the majors. At least when they played real baseball. When you didn't get to bat if you didn't take your turn out in the field.

You know, the National League, before MLB went full suckage with inter-league series and the full DH.

Pitchers would work on bunting and have at it for three tries unless they had actual hitting ability and experience.

But I may have just steered us down a rabbit trail.

Excellent point! When pitchers were batting in the National League, you would see a lot of 2 strike bunt foul ball outs from them.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It used to be a semi-regular event in like Babe Ruth leagues back 40 years ago. A small 13-year old number nine hitter, facing a hard throwing 15-year old. Managers would sometimes let them try three bunts.

Now days, extremely rare to see..
Speaking of Babe Ruth league, I happened to be the 13 year old asked to bunt on a squeeze play years ago. breaking ball away and I pulled the bat back, dude was dead from third. We won the game, but I still remember that OOPS!!!!!😆

VN Store

Back