*****The Official Tennessee vs Lithuania U21 1 p.m. (Florence, Italy)

I was impressed that when we had so many subs in the 1st quarter, Meshack was the veteran the staff chose to stay in the game to ride herd.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Like I said, If you want defense play Shack, if you need buckets play Knecht.

ZZ and Freddie will be a nice 1-2 punch at PG. Not Chandler/ZZ level, but better than last year lol

Santi and Gainey will both be nice from 3

Knecht = O / Shack = D. Some may think I hate on Shack, but I think he would be the best player on the team if he had a better stroke.

Honestly, I was happy with our bigs for the most part. It’s early.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Not sure why you make that distinction between Knecht and Mashack this soon.

Unofficial stats from today's game:
Dalton Knecht ....14 points (5/14 FG, 4/11 3Pt) (0/0 3FT), 5 rebounds, 2 AS, 2 TO, 0 steals
Jahmai Mashack 12 points...(5/ 9 FG....0/0 3Pt)...(2/2 FT), .4 rebounds, 4 AS, 0 TO, 6 steals

Dalton Knecht ....14 points (5/14 FG, 4/11 3Pt) (0/0 3FT), 5 rebounds, 2 AS, 2 TO, 0 steals
Jahmai Mashack 12 points...(5/ 9 FG....0/0 3Pt)...(2/2 FT), .4 rebounds, 4 AS, 0 TO, 6 steals
Holy crap! 6 steals?!?

For the newbies, Dilione played with alot of control. Nice stroke and has some shake to him. Competition wasn't any good but at first glance he can play PG. Knecht is going to have some big scoring nights and is a natural shooter. He looked a bit tentative though and really wanted to see him put the ball on the floor and go to the rim but he didn't do that at all. Had a couple lapses defensively. Gainey is a willing defender, decent ball handler and wasn't hesitant to shoot the ball. He looks comfortable and capable of shooting well behind the 3 pt line. Estrella is more athletic than I thought he would be and wasn't afraid of contact in the paint. He will play this year. Jefferson's arms go on forever and could be an elite defender. He just glides up and down the court.

Overall, liked how we pushed tempo even off made baskets, ball movement was crisp in half court and we picked up our defense full court. We may have more turnovers this year, but our scoring average should go up alot. Zeigler will thrive in this type of pace when healthy. I think we could play 11 consistently in the rotation and be one the deepest teams in the country. The best player on the court was Awaka. He was a monster the moment he got into the game, but still can't make FTs.

One of the more interesting lineups was the lineup with JJJ at the 5 and Knecht at the 4. While I hope we don't see that lineup much, it might be necessary if the three post get in foul trouble and Phillips redshirts.

ZZ and Freddie will be a nice 1-2 punch at PG. Not Chandler/ZZ level, but better than last year lol

Santi and Gainey will both be nice from 3

Knecht = O / Shack = D. Some may think I hate on Shack, but I think he would be the best player on the team if he had a better stroke.

Honestly, I was happy with our bigs for the most part. It’s early.
What were the points and fg% for both Shack and Knecht?

Just finished watching. My notes

-They absolutely could not score on our A team through the first 3 qtrs. I mean, it was absurd.

-I haven’t looked at a box score, but it felt like Jonas had a million rebounds.

-Knecht appears to be in great physical shape. Shoots almost flat footed. Not much lift from what I could tell. Looks like he can play.

- Awaka flashed some really tremendous hustle plays. I think he has a chance to make a huge leap this year if he can generate more offense,

- Dilione is big. That’s a big PG. Also, he is aggressive on offense. If the ball is in his hands, he is looking to make something happen. I think that’s something this team needs. He will drive us and Barnes nuts at times cause he’ll get himself in trouble with turnovers. But I loved what I saw from him.

- Gainey looked rough in 1st half but settled down in the 4th

-Estrella flashed some ability. Not sure he will play much, but he looks like a future player.

- I think Mashack makes the biggest leap on the team. Look for him to average double digit points and compete for conference defensive player of the year.

Freddie is "The Truth" ! He can handle PG and is very unselfish with more passing skills than I thought. But, what most impresses me about Freddie is how he always seems to get to his spot, whether he shoots or passes. I know this was against a team my defending state champion, Fulton Falcons could probably beat, but he did it, in high school and AAU. He's just smooth and is going to be a SEC superstar, sooner or later. Btw, bTo, this is my stone cold lock over the Giraffe

Scratchin' my head... if those shooting numbers for Knecht are correct, he should have 22 points. Sumpin' wrong in the translation from Lithuanian to Italian to 'murican.

Reactions: mackievol
Scratchin' my head... if those shooting numbers for Knecht are correct, he should have 22 points. Sumpin' wrong in the translation from Lithuanian to Italian to 'murican.
The 3,pt figures are including in the reg FG numbers... 4 3pts. 12 pts. 1 2,pt 2 pt. Total 14 pts on 5 total fgs...basically he was 1/3 from 2 pt and 4/11 from 3

Reactions: BruisedOrange
If Freddie can slash like that all season it'll be a big year for the Vols....only issue I have and I have with Santi as well...quit leaving your damn feet and trying to make passes in the air...that should be an exception not rule

3Pts are also FGs
The 3,pt figures are including in the reg FG numbers... 4 3pts. 12 pts. 1 2,pt 2 pt. Total 14 pts on 5 total fgs...basically he was 1/3 from 2 pt and 4/11 from 3
Guess we know which 'murican had sumpin' wrong with the translation.
Trying to learn baseball stats has ruined my brain!

Reactions: whodeycin85
I have a lot more thoughts on the game than this, but Jefferson was pretty disappointing. He's a big time vertical athlete, but his finishing ability is awful (missed one dunk, almost missed a second dunk, and airballed two layups very badly). He's got a pretty good stroke from deep, but didn't connect on his 3s. Most disappointing though was his defense. He was flat footed almost every single time, couldn't stay in front of anyone hardly, had to use his hands a lot, he got crossed over do bad he put both hands on the ground.

I really am only saying this because I expected a lot more especially on that end. If you can play defense, you probably won't play. The offensive end wasn't good either, but I do believe he'll start knocking down 3s and can find ways to finish inside.

Estrella is the guy that I'm most interested to see against real competition. He looks the part. I expected a more lanky guy but he is long and filled out. When he gains strength look out.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back