The Official Tennessee vs LSU College World Series Game 1 Thread (Sat. June 17 7PM EST) ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skenes is good but the amount of help he got tonight was ridiculous. Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do. There is a reason why the zone is what it is. Balls that are 6 inches off the plate aren’t hittable. That outside strike might have been “consistent” but it doesn’t make it any less bad because it’s still the same unhittable pitch.
Can’t like this enough.

Reactions: chuckb1448
Its easy to argue strikes and balls, but there were a lot we should have hit and didn't, and a couple of runs were from us making fielding errors. Just gotta take it, move on, win the next 4 in a row and get to the finals.

Reactions: spyfish007
Skene is really good. I thought if our batters had been a little more patient at the plate, we might could’ve gotten him out a little sooner. We swung at too many low pitches and watched too many good ones go by. Hard to catch up to his fastball though. Home plate umpire was complete garbage. His strike zone was as fickle as a high school girl picking boyfriends. Win the next one.
Go VOLS! 🍊

Reactions: ENGRVOL
I don't think that is strange. I think that is normal. It is SEC play. If you get wins those should count too.
We disagree. I see it as the post-season. SEC Tournament games don't count on the SEC record in basketball ... but like I said before, it's not a big deal. Just something I thought was weird.

Tennessee will not lose another game till the second game against Florida. LSU is done. They will lose 2 straight to wake forest and Tennessee. Skenes is an absolute freak. Tennessee wins that game against any other team in the bracket including LSU minus skenes. This team battles for each other. Call me crazy but my heals r dug in. LFGO

Why aren’t we blaming our hitters for not making any adjustments, fouling it off even though they know it’s not a strike but WILL be called a strike, and fighting for another pitch?
That’s not feasible at this level. You can’t adjust to 100+ off the plate.

What's this obsession with Florida,if Virginia hadn't dropped the ball they would be in same boat as we are
How did UVA drop the ball? Hitting 2 bombs after being held in check is UF being UF; their offense is great and they have serious power in 5-6 spots in the lineup.

Reactions: Jaws
Umps used to say that calling Randy Johnson was close to impossible just from the eye fatigue of tracking balls at that speed. Typically the zone grew as his pitches drifted out over time. Skenes threw 46 pitches over 100 tonight. I’m not making excuses for the bad calls, but great fastball pitchers tend to get more calls as the game goes on. He’s going to be a starter in the show by mid Summer next year. We lost. Let’s go win some games.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
We had errors?
Maybe not official errors, but the 4th run (i think) was scored because the pitcher didn't cleanly field the ball. If he had, he would have checked the guy on 3rd and kept him from scoring. The SS missed a ball too that hurt us.

Why aren’t we blaming our hitters for not making any adjustments, fouling it off even though they know it’s not a strike but WILL be called a strike, and fighting for another pitch?

If it were just that easy…

You aren’t supposed to be required to foul off bad pitches. Then, you chase bad pitches and look more foolish.

Maybe not official errors, but the 4th run (i think) was scored because the pitcher didn't cleanly field the ball. If he had, he would have checked the guy on 3rd and kept him from scoring. The SS missed a ball too that hurt us.

Ahuna’s play was difficult. That’s not an error. I’m pretty sure all of their runs were scored on well hit balls.

Now that we scored a few late, I think theres legs to a pitching argument........ So im listening to Basillio and him and Russell are talking about an interesting idea...... Instead of Dolly, why not Burns tonight?

Pitchers rarely throw out of order. Messes with their rhythm, superstitions, etc. also, Dolly would have been only on one less day of rest.

Reactions: knoxvol52
It’s not an excuse. We deserved to lose and Skenes is good, but if you don’t think an extra half a foot on all corners of the plate makes a difference you’re naive. That umpire was terrible tonight.

Yep, and sometimes the best strategy against a pitcher like Skenes is to be patient, make him throw a lot of pitches, and get him out of the game. That’s not possible with the parting of the red seas strike zone.

Tennessee will not lose another game till the second game against Florida. LSU is done. They will lose 2 straight to wake forest and Tennessee. Skenes is an absolute freak. Tennessee wins that game against any other team in the bracket including LSU minus skenes. This team battles for each other. Call me crazy but my heals r dug in. LFGO

I like where your head’s at, but…

Tennessee ain’t losing to Florida! Let’s go. 6 straight, baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back