The Official Tennessee vs LSU College World Series Game 1 Thread (Sat. June 17 7PM EST) ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has thrown 336 pitches since June 2nd. At some point that has to take a toll on his arm. I guess we will see tomorrow if he is able to go how effective he will be.
Hurt is different from not effective. Historically, pitchers that throw no hitters are not very effective their next outing. That doesn’t mean that they’re hurt. I suspect that article was spouting something similar.

Reactions: spyfish007
Hurt is different from not effective. Historically, pitchers that throw no hitters are not very effective their next outing. That doesn’t mean that they’re hurt. I suspect that article was spouting something similar.
Yeah I worded my post bad and that is what the article is getting at.

Depends on your point of view. I have close family who graduated from USAFA and served our Country. They don't respect him either. Went to become an officer and serve - but quit to play baseball.

Not a fan of the dude, as he doesn’t don Big Orange. However, they did a pretty long story on air about how he was so respectful of and in tune with the military component of his time at Air Force, that he’s already committed to serving after finishing his baseball career. I think it’s great that the young man gets the chance to do both and has the commitment to do so. Could you imagine Vitello going into weekends with a lineup of starters of him, Dollander, and Beam?

Reactions: spyfish007
@VolPack22
This is the first time I am going to disagree with you.

First, Minor Point but the Portal is available to all...

Second, Because of the extreme curriculum + that is place by the Service Academies on Cadets it is the equal to a 30 to 35 hour College Academic Load/Requirements. Increases each year.

Third, He will have some type of commitment if he leaves after his junior year. This can be waived/delayed but it is there for a reason.

Fourth, Sports are trinary. I am sure some of this has changed, but I am sure the required physical/extra Curr activities far more exceeded that of a normal College Athlete.
Fifth, he made a decision to change his future that anybody would do their right mind.

He is not a deserter, he just made the right decision and used the Portal to do so. He did so to preserve his future in MLB vs having a 8 year commitment as a Butter Bar rising through the Ranks. this commitment would have probably been waived by the Air Force anyway to avoid bad publicity.

At one time, we were in the hunt for him as well, I do believe and assume the feeling would be different had he come here.
It’s alright to have disagreement. I respect everyone’s opinion on it. I know everyone isn’t going to feel the same way about it.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
knock on wood, but we have had a very low number of injuries. We also have strong home run hitting and excellent pitching. I don't know if working out more is an answer.

Baseball is like any other sport. The bigger, stronger faster team has an advantage and usually wins. That’s why programs have strength & conditioning programs they put millions of dollars into.

The key for this team is to find away to stick around long enough for the pitching depth advantage to turn in their favor. Gotta beat Stanford & then they may have a shot at making some noise

Those guys have gotta get in the weight room during the off season. Last night looked like a pro team vs a college team, small one at that, physically. Wake is similar size with LSU from what I could tell when I saw them.
It’s called steroids!

Reflecting on first game at CWS, here’s some random thoughts:
1) Ensley is a gamer. What a night for that young man!
2) LSU has bought their way to the CWS. Do we need a salary cap for NIL? If not, they will spend like the Yankees.
3) Skenes was better than advertised. Best college pitcher in last 20 years
4) Upon watching some highlights at hotel, it was by far the largest strike zone of the season. There’s a reason the homeplate umpire was fired by MLB. He’s simply horrible.
5) Dickey seemed to hit the ball hard all night but was just right at them.
6) Vols will rebound on Monday. Proud of this team and fans who support them win or lose.
7j Entrance at CWS is horribly slow and operationally inefficient. It took almost 45 min to get through the gate, and many folks missed first pitch. Lines were huge and they didn’t have enough ticket scanners. Same thing happened on Friday so it wasn‘t because of weather delay. They have to get this fixed.

they didn’t have enough ticket scanners. Same thing happened on Friday so it wasn‘t because of weather delay. They have to get this fixed.[

Oh Yeah. All that High Tech is impressive........

NIL was like opening Pandora’s Box. There’s no going back now. It will ruin college baseball just as it will ruin football and basketball.

Yep. Most of the "Sport" Has been removed, and to a certain extent; the art of coaching up talent you signed and developed for 2-4 years.

Reactions: Titan05
NIL was like opening Pandora’s Box. There’s no going back now. It will ruin college baseball just as it will ruin football and basketball.
NIL combined with an excellent recruiter and facility will get you a good team every year. Kind of what is happening here in all sports...

Couple of notes from last night’s game (sorry this is long). First, the Vols fought hard, and everyone of you should be proud as hell of those boys. One or two more hits, and we possibly have a different outcome.

The ump… Well, he was simply awful, and should never call another game again imo. The called strike in the top of the 8th was horrendous. However, he was consistently bad for both teams. There was a called strike to end the LSU 3rd (maybe 4th) that was just as bad as the call to end the Vol 8th. Those calls should never happen, especially on this stage. Simply awful.

Skenes… Well, he’s as advertised. He’s easily the best college pitcher I can ever recall seeing. I’m sure there was someone better, but I can’t think of who right now. I’m a little disappointed though, when reading through this thread, to see several people here making accusations that he’s using steroids. This board is a great place, which is why I like visiting. Good people, and many very knowledgeable of college baseball. So, it’s disappointing when I see baseless accusations like that. As well, there were several that said they have no respect for Skenes for leaving the AF academy (which is their right). However, for all the service academies, recruits/students to do not make the commitment to serve until their junior year. Skenes left before that deadline with the blessings and encouragement from the academy. As a future high profile MLB player, he will still be able to promote the AF Academy in a positive manner, and I’m sure he will. Just an fyi.

When reading through this thread, I couldn’t believe the amount of people who gave up on the Vols so quickly last night. Unbelievable really. 1-0 in the 2nd, and several here thought the game was over. Honestly, I think I’m a bigger Vol fan than many here. I have the utmost respect for this team, and no one…I mean NO ONE, better sleep on them.
The Vols are easily the best set up team (especially from a pitching standpoint) to come back through the losers bracket and make the final. And I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if they do just that.

Best of luck tomorrow Vol nation! I wish you all well!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back