The Official Tennessee vs LSU College World Series Game 1 Thread (Sat. June 17 7PM EST) ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night stings, but no college team history had much of a chance vs Skenes and the umps. Getting this far has exceeded my expectations big time, would be awesome to get at least one win though. GBO!

Reactions: taylorvol
4 out of the past 41 CWS champions last their first game. Oregon State did so in their last championship in 2018. They also lost Game 1 of the Championship Round to Arkansas. Let’s make it 5 out of 42 😎

Shout out to Hunter Ensley.
Home run in the CWS is something one never forgets.

3 hits, including a massive 2-run bomb. Was just thinking about how somebody was saying the other day that we needed to mix things up and take Ensley out of the line-up… as I said:

It’s not that hard. Tony V likes Ensley in CF, so I like Ensley in CF. And he’s looked good there.

With that strike zone, I’m surprised Skenes didn’t K 20

Did anybody watch the ump cam last night? I tried to pull it up this morning, and it’s just the regular broadcast… wonder if the ump can for that one has just been deep-six’d…

I am too. Making it to Omaha is a highly successful season. I’m just enjoying it at this point.

That doesn’t mean I’m giving up. This team has shown the ability to come back with our backs against the wall. They have developed a fight about them that last year’s team never had to develop.

I’m just not super nervous about it. I don’t think we’ll beat Matthews. Drawing Skenes then Matthews is just brutally bad luck. No one else got an opposing pitching draw even close to that. BUT if we manage to beat Matthews tomorrow, look out for the Vols. I know Wake has great pitching, but Beam is better than their 3rd guy. And we have a pitching advantage over LSU after Skenes.
I don't know Stanford's pitching but is Matthews their "ace"? If so, did they not pitch him on purpose against WF or do they have 2 great pitchers?
Thanks,

The key for this team is to find away to stick around long enough for the pitching depth advantage to turn in their favor. Gotta beat Stanford & then they may have a shot at making some noise

Those guys have gotta get in the weight room during the off season. Last night looked like a pro team vs a college team, small one at that, physically. Wake is similar size with LSU from what I could tell when I saw them.

I don't know Stanford's pitching but is Matthews their "ace"? If so, did they not pitch him on purpose against WF or do they have 2 great pitchers?
Thanks,

Yes, he’s their ace. Arguably the best LHP in America and we struggle with lefties. They held him out in game 1 because he threw 156 pitches in his last outing against Texas so they wanted to give him extra rest.

So Tennessee has to face the best RHP in America followed by the best LHP in America in its first 2 games in Omaha.

The key for this team is to find away to stick around long enough for the pitching depth advantage to turn in their favor. Gotta beat Stanford & then they may have a shot at making some noise

Those guys have gotta get in the weight room during the off season. Last night looked like a pro team vs a college team, small one at that, physically. Wake is similar size with LSU from what I could tell when I saw them.

This.

Reflecting on first game at CWS, here’s some random thoughts:
1) Ensley is a gamer. What a night for that young man!
2) LSU has bought their way to the CWS. Do we need a salary cap for NIL? If not, they will spend like the Yankees.
3) Skenes was better than advertised. Best college pitcher in last 20 years
4) Upon watching some highlights at hotel, it was by far the largest strike zone of the season. There’s a reason the homeplate umpire was fired by MLB. He’s simply horrible.
5) Dickey seemed to hit the ball hard all night but was just right at them.
6) Vols will rebound on Monday. Proud of this team and fans who support them win or lose.
7j Entrance at CWS is horribly slow and operationally inefficient. It took almost 45 min to get through the gate, and many folks missed first pitch. Lines were huge and they didn’t have enough ticket scanners. Same thing happened on Friday so it wasn‘t because of weather delay. They have to get this fixed.

2) LSU has bought their way to the CWS. Do we need a salary cap for NIL? If not, they will spend like the Yankees.
4) Upon watching some highlights at hotel, it was by far the largest strike zone of the season. There’s a reason the homeplate umpire was fired by MLB. He’s simply horrible.
6) Vols will rebound on Monday. Proud of this team and fans who support them win or lose.
7j Entrance at CWS is horribly slow and operationally inefficient. It took almost 45 min to get through the gate, and many folks missed first pitch. Lines were huge and they didn’t have enough ticket scanners. Same thing happened on Friday so it wasn‘t because of weather delay. They have to get this fixed.
Go to gate 3 on the back side. Lines were not that bad at all

I will say this LSU game was personally my least stressful loss in a long time. I fully believed we could win and felt we had a good shot to win, but after watching the best college pitcher I’ve seen in my generation along with a liberal strike zone, it was obvious as things progressed that winning was going to be tough last night.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Skenes entered the game with a 1.88 ERA and we got 2 runs in 7 & 2/3rds innings which has us at 2.34 ERA for this game, so taken in context, not as shabby as some would have us believe. The fluidity, location, and total command this guy has is unbelievable, and we did everything we could have done to win. Better things ahead.

UT wouldn’t be in the CWS without Ahuna, Dollander, Merritt, Halvorsen, Lindsey, Denton who all came in via the transfer portal. Just saying…

NIL was like opening Pandora’s Box. There’s no going back now. It will ruin college baseball just as it will ruin football and basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back