The Official Tennessee vs LSU College World Series Game 1 Thread (Sat. June 17 7PM EST) ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
UT wouldn’t be in the CWS without Ahuna, Dollander, Merritt, Halvorsen, Lindsey, Denton who all came in via the transfer portal. Just saying…
Yep, I’m well aware of who our transfers are. Aside from Ahuna, our portal transfers came here for a chance to win and play for our coaching staff. (Not saying that Ahuna didn’t, but he was the only highly touted portal transfer we took). They weren‘t one year rentals or mercenaries going to the highest bidder like Tommy White and Skenes. LSU paid more for Skenes than all of our portal transfers. Point being, I despise how NIL has gone to a bidding war for transfers Vs what it was intended for…

NIL was like opening Pandora’s Box. There’s no going back now. It will ruin college baseball just as it will ruin football and basketball.
I hope you’re wrong but if they don’t put some guardrails around it, I’m afraid you’re right. Regardless, it will ruin the game for me. I have no interest in watching a bunch of free agents who are only here for the $$$ and are one and done before you have a chance to know them. I love the home grown stories of kids who grow with the program, show loyalty, and are rewarded. See Christian Scott, Hunter Ensley, Jared Dickey, Trey Lipscomb, Evan Russell, Jorel Ortega, Luc Lipsius, Cortland Lawson, etc.

A couple of those strikes couldn’t be hit with a swing unless you stepped on the plate. There was no way Denton could hit that high and outside pitch. I don’t know what else you expect. Plate discipline is plate discipline. You don’t just change in a game
agree, easier said than done. When you've been programmed for years that a certain location is a ball, it's pretty hard to just say now its a strike when its heading your way at 100mph.

The key for this team is to find away to stick around long enough for the pitching depth advantage to turn in their favor. Gotta beat Stanford & then they may have a shot at making some noise

Those guys have gotta get in the weight room during the off season. Last night looked like a pro team vs a college team, small one at that, physically. Wake is similar size with LSU from what I could tell when I saw them.
knock on wood, but we have had a very low number of injuries. We also have strong home run hitting and excellent pitching. I don't know if working out more is an answer.

He is talented but I have no respect for the kid. Turned his back on a military school. No thanks.
@VolPack22
This is the first time I am going to disagree with you.

First, Minor Point but the Portal is available to all...

Second, Because of the extreme curriculum + that is place by the Service Academies on Cadets it is equal to a 30 to 35 hour College Academic Load/Requirements. Increases each year.

Third, He will have some type of commitment if he leaves after his junior year. This can be waived/delayed but it is there for a reason.

Fourth, Sports are trinary. I am sure some of this has changed, but I am sure the required physical/extra Curr activities far more exceeded that of a normal College Athlete.
Fifth, he made a decision to change his future that anybody would do their right mind.

He is not a deserter, he just made the right decision and used the Portal to do so. He did so to preserve his future in MLB vs having a 8 year commitment as a Butter Bar rising through the Ranks. this commitment would have probably been waived by the Air Force anyway to avoid bad publicity.

At one time, we were in the hunt for him as well, I do believe and assume the feeling would be different had he come here.

Last edited:
Yep, I’m well aware of who our transfers are. Aside from Ahuna, our portal transfers came here for a chance to win and play for our coaching staff. (Not saying that Ahuna didn’t, but he was the only highly touted portal transfer we took). They weren‘t one year rentals or mercenaries going to the highest bidder like Tommy White and Skenes. LSU paid more for Skenes than all of our portal transfers. Point being, I despise how NIL has gone to a bidding war for transfers Vs what it was intended for…

Dollander even came before NIL hit.

Depends on your point of view. I have close family who graduated from USAFA and served our Country. They don't respect him either. Went to become an officer and serve - but quit to play baseball.

I have family and close friends from all service academies too. The language is pretty clear, assignment to specialized services comes at junior year, along with a commitment to possible forced enlistment. Lots of people go the full term, graduate, and then go on to professional careers with no service. He knew the chance was low that he’d have to enlist with the positive exposure of a pro career ahead of him. He chose more development and exposure via going to the best conference in America. His exit prior to the commitment year is typically seen as more honorable than doing so after four years. Faced with a possible 100mm plus career value, I’m interested to hear what everyone would do. It’s easy to take a stand when you aren’t faced with that choice. Hearing him interviewed on the topic, he obviously thought about it very seriously and collaborated with the Academy, who encouraged him to go. His baseball exposure as a branding exercise is more valuable to the Air Force than him staying in the Academy.

I’m ok with the transfer portal since kids only have a short window to continue their athletic careers but I do wish the NCAA could have some rules in place to stop the bidding war for top talent , I know most of the teams in Omaha have transfers and Skenes alone would make any of the eight there legit contenders

I have family and close friends from all service academies too. The language is pretty clear, assignment to specialized services comes at junior year, along with a commitment to possible forced enlistment. Lots of people go the full term, graduate, and then go on to professional careers with no service. He knew the chance was low that he’d have to enlist with the positive exposure of a pro career ahead of him. He chose more development and exposure via going to the best conference in America. His exit prior to the commitment year is typically seen as more honorable than doing so after four years. Faced with a possible 100mm plus career value, I’m interested to hear what everyone would do. It’s easy to take a stand when you aren’t faced with that choice. Hearing him interviewed on the topic, he obviously thought about it very seriously and collaborated with the Academy, who encouraged him to go. His baseball exposure as a branding exercise is more valuable to the Air Force than him staying in the Academy.
Well said and good perspective. Cast. No. Stones.

Didn’t realize until my brother just told me that the UVA pitcher we faced in 2021 started out with 3 straight wins without giving runs in his debut with the Reds. While you are expected to play good pitching in Omaha, I think we’ve been a bit unlucky with Abbott and Skenes to start each one.

Angels fans absolutely loathed Angel Campos before he got demoted from the league. It seems he has not grown or improved at all over the last decade lolScreenshot_20230618-112726.png

Reactions: Samthebam
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back