The Official Texas A&M @ #1 Tennessee National Championship Game 3 Thread (Mon. June 24 7PM EST) (ESPN)

McElroy’s take on Vitello could be the worst I’ve ever heard. I understand why people don’t like Vitello, because he is a fiery coach, and he will yell at umpires during games when he disagrees with them. ………

I agree 100% with everything you said, especially with regard to Saban, if that’s who Mr. McElroy wants to prop up as his “classy” role model. My first thought was who pee’d in Greg’s corn flakes? Having watched (and rewatched) most of the post-game celebrations Monday night, I’m not sure what in the world offended him so much. Could he be referring to Vitello’s comment to prospective SEC players that if you’re in this league you’ll be a star, but what you need to focus on is being a good teammate. Was that a shot at someone that most of us (who are not in the know) don’t know about? Was it a shot at Chase Burns? Or whoever was involved in the NIL issue from early last year? I don’t know, but I doubt it was intended for anyone specific.

I think Tony’s underlying theme throughout all of this is - it’s about the team. It’s been in everything he’s said from the rant during the Super Regional, to the post-game press conferences during the MCWS, to his comments during the celebrations Monday night and yesterday. What’s the acronym posted on the walls in the athletic office - INAM (It’s Not About Me). He’s saying look at what we just did. We just won the College World Series - not as a bunch of stars, but as a team. Yes a team filled with a bunch of stars, but stars who were willing to pick each other up, to “have each other’s back,” to deflect praise to their teammates, and to cheer each other on. It’s a message that needs to be reiterated in this new age of “How much money are you going to give me?” And if it’s the message reverberating through the halls of the UT Athletics dept, then I’m excited to see what comes next. Go Vols!

SIAP

No wonder the fervor from Peyton Manning,

“I’ve been texting him all along,” he said of Vitello. “You don’t want to change your texting routine just because you get to the World Series, right? So it’s real short and sweet. But he texted me this morning and he said a lot of tough decisions in today’s game. I just gave him a quote that my old offensive coordinator at Tennessee, David Cutcliffe, used to say about decision making, It was an old General Patton quote from World War II. Make a decision and do it like hell. So I hit him with that.

I was standing on the side of the street at Market Square yesterday where the guys got out of the trucks after the ride down Gay St. Hunter could barely step over the tailgate and had to be helped down. Truly a warrior.
Huntingdon's finest (well one of the finest, along with Tim Priest & Dixie Carter & others).... should never have to buy another meal in this state.

I think you might be right.
It’s pretty hard to tell for sure, but if you go back and watch the wider angle in the broadcast (and you can slow it down to .25x on YouTubeTV), you will see the dude in the powder blue shirt and red hat on the front row just to the right of where the ball hit seem to point at where the ball hit. And also, perhaps a biased observer, but a guy in a cream Vols jersey on the front row above the pitch clock clearly signals home run.

Also, if you watch the broadcast, you can clearly see how everyone was so caught up in the Ensley slide that this could have been missed. Ironically, if Ensley was tagged out, we may have challenged the HR call and gotten an extra run out of it.

I agree 100% with everything you said, especially with regard to Saban, if that’s who Mr. McElroy wants to prop up as his “classy” role model. My first thought was who pee’d in Greg’s corn flakes? Having watched (and rewatched) most of the post-game celebrations Monday night, I’m not sure what in the world offended him so much. Could he be referring to Vitello’s comment to prospective SEC players that if you’re in this league you’ll be a star, but what you need to focus on is being a good teammate. Was that a shot at someone that most of us (who are not in the know) don’t know about? Was it a shot at Chase Burns? Or whoever was involved in the NIL issue from early last year? I don’t know, but I doubt it was intended for anyone specific.

I think Tony’s underlying theme throughout all of this is - it’s about the team. It’s been in everything he’s said from the rant during the Super Regional, to the post-game press conferences during the MCWS, to his comments during the celebrations Monday night and yesterday. What’s the acronym posted on the walls in the athletic office - INAM (It’s Not About Me). He’s saying look at what we just did. We just won the College World Series - not as a bunch of stars, but as a team. Yes a team filled with a bunch of stars, but stars who were willing to pick each other up, to “have each other’s back,” to deflect praise to their teammates, and to cheer each other on. It’s a message that needs to be reiterated in this new age of “How much money are you going to give me?” And if it’s the message reverberating through the halls of the UT Athletics dept, then I’m excited to see what comes next. Go Vols!
what Mcelroy was referring to as WWE antics was when Vitello and Antigua did the "suck it" gesture toward one another while celebrating. It was made popular in the WWE a long time ago and they labeled the gesture to mean "suck it".

Mcelroy being petty over something that had nothing to do with anyone else, just player and coach being jovial with one another.

Interesting... I paused this video and manually slid the timeline. KT's ball slammed the mesh fence above the yellow line.

I thought it was a home run as well and was surprised it was not reviewed. We won anyway but it would have been an extra run. That slide was wonderful though!

what Mcelroy was referring to as WWE antics was when Vitello and Antigua did the "suck it" gesture toward one another while celebrating. It was made popular in the WWE a long time ago and they labeled the gesture to mean "suck it".

Mcelroy being petty over something that had nothing to do with anyone else, just player and coach being jovial with one another.
You only notice and say something about that IF you are looking for something to bring down a person or a team. That was what he was looking for - something to try to diminish what happened. He must be a very sad person.

Seeing all these former Vols baseball players effusively praising Tony and the Vols got me feeling some kind of way. This program is going to go stratospheric.

I’m very damn stunned I joined the VolNation during a challenging time for the Vols Baseball team in 2011 with unmistakable they had to rebuild with a new Manager.

Also, amazed that the Vols Baseball team won a National Championship in 2024 because it’s an even number year the same as my Cubs winning the World Series in 2016.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

The bowler Pete Weber was doing a similar move 20 years ago on national TV.

Who is the bald guy on Heupel's left?
Larry Pratt. Grew up in Athens. Graduated from UT College of Business. Is the owner of the largest mortgage company in Washington DC. Has donated millions to the UT Athletic Dept (e.g., Pratt Pavilion, or whatever it's called now.) I'd suspect he's the one who bought the skybox for the series so all the UT bigwigs had a place to watch and hangout.

VN Store

Back