The Official Zone Severe Weather Thread

@VolNExile
Where in Asheville is your home. And your grandson's home?
We’re in West Asheville, in the city (urban neighborhood.) My daughter’s family is on relatively high ground, as we are. It’s like the joke about the bear: you don’t have to outrun the bear, just the guy with you. In this case, just don’t live in the lowest place in the neighborhood.

We did pretty well, mostly small branches. But the power went out around 8 this morning for good (intermittent during the night) and cellular is pitiful, so I’ve only had phone and text.

I’m charging the power brick in my car, so I drove to the library parking lot, where I am now.

The sump pump held about even until the power went out, and now there’s 4 inches in the basement. It’s unfinished (built in 1923), and Hubs had most things involving electricity on blocks, but the pilot light in the gas water heater might’ve been hit.

Sounds like fellow Zoners made it through ok. I think the rain is mostly done. I really don’t want to have emergency updates going off in my ear every 90 minutes through the night again any time soon

Reactions: ArdentVol and Danl
Scary stuff.
Some people have questioned why would people stay and risk it? And it’s true that there are some people who are just stubborn. My heart goes out to those who are stuck and have nowhere to go.
For the dorm residents, they had to have transportation and live within 3-4 hours to make it home before dark. And if they lived along the storm path, might as well stay put. I’ve been flooded with texts from UNCA today - dining services would be delayed, but they were working to get food out, etc. Police phone line down and they’re passing around an alternative number.

I texted some classmates who live off campus. One was cooking meals on a campstove with his roommates; another’s apartment complex was surrounded by fallen trees. No one has power. Streets are filled with utility trucks.

We’re in West Asheville, in the city (urban neighborhood.) My daughter’s family is on relatively high ground, as we are. It’s like the joke about the bear: you don’t have to outrun the bear, just the guy with you. In this case, just don’t live in the lowest place in the neighborhood.

We did pretty well, mostly small branches. But the power went out around 8 this morning for good (intermittent during the night) and cellular is pitiful, so I’ve only had phone and text.

I’m charging the power brick in my car, so I drove to the library parking lot, where I am now.

The sump pump held about even until the power went out, and now there’s 4 inches in the basement. It’s unfinished (built in 1923), and Hubs had most things involving electricity on blocks, but the pilot light in the gas water heater might’ve been hit.

Sounds like fellow Zoners made it through ok. I think the rain is mostly done. I really don’t want to have emergency updates going off in my ear every 90 minutes through the night again any time soon

For the dorm residents, they had to have transportation and live within 3-4 hours to make it home before dark. And if they lived along the storm path, might as well stay put. I’ve been flooded with texts from UNCA today - dining services would be delayed, but they were working to get food out, etc. Police phone line down and they’re passing around an alternative number.

I texted some classmates who live off campus. One was cooking meals on a campstove with his roommates; another’s apartment complex was surrounded by fallen trees. No one has power. Streets are filled with utility trucks.
Sympathies 🙏🏽

Reactions: Danl

VN Store

Back