The Official Zone Severe Weather Thread

Things are getting dicey now in Charlotte area.

Sister is here to help Mom, good thing she flew in, as I-40 is gone (will be closed months possibly) and every road going back that way is screwed up at the moment. However Lake norman's Cowan dam is getting posts now about possible failure and flood gates are open, and now Mountain Island lake is overflowing. If you know area The international Airport is south of that along river.....hopefully it's above river enough not to be effected but I do not know. I thought Charlotte was far enough away to avoid most of this..but water flows downhill as they say. If that area has major flooding God help the insurance companies nothing but multi multi million dollar homes south of Norman for a ways. Those people also can actually afford flood insurance maybe, if they ever bother to check on it. Sister's fam lives near lake norman , luckily their area is east of there.

Reactions: Vjcvette
We’re in West Asheville, in the city (urban neighborhood.) My daughter’s family is on relatively high ground, as we are. It’s like the joke about the bear: you don’t have to outrun the bear, just the guy with you. In this case, just don’t live in the lowest place in the neighborhood.

We did pretty well, mostly small branches. But the power went out around 8 this morning for good (intermittent during the night) and cellular is pitiful, so I’ve only had phone and text.

I’m charging the power brick in my car, so I drove to the library parking lot, where I am now.

The sump pump held about even until the power went out, and now there’s 4 inches in the basement. It’s unfinished (built in 1923), and Hubs had most things involving electricity on blocks, but the pilot light in the gas water heater might’ve been hit.

Sounds like fellow Zoners made it through ok. I think the rain is mostly done. I really don’t want to have emergency updates going off in my ear every 90 minutes through the night again any time soon
great news
need to update our news

Expected flooding if nothing "fails".....Cowan Ford dam has to be protected at all costs.....and the blame game is already starting by everyone south around floodzone. Duke power runs these....so privitized TVA type system. They're in a no win situation but if they don't allow controlled flooding with the water coming, a Cowan failure could feasibly even take out the airport. It's gonna suck to be Duke for a few days.

Some of the comments tho...
I'm convinced something is in drinking water in that area.. 4 out of 5 people around Ashville seem insane. Not just my political bias....even the people who agree with my political bias in that area seem insane. They been drinking the bad lead laced moonshine or something. Just my experiences. They all seem so angry.....

The idiots getting mad at Duke power have no idea how bad it would be if they were not working these dams. If those dams fail, they are fooked. The argument they should have lowered levels earlier is easy to make with 20/20 hindsight.....no idea how much truth there is to it. If they don't open up those gates now though, this could be worse dam failure in decades. Reality the people getting mad built in a normal flood zone.

VN Store

Back