The Official Zone Severe Weather Thread

I know, right?

Our hotel is 5 minutes from G’ville Costco. I went by in hopes of grabbing some gallon jugs of water, since we need refillable empties for water tankers. I figured they’d be sold out, but nope, they’ve all be diverted up our way for distribution.

There’s some humor in there somewhere! 😆

How did the wedding go? It will certainly be unforgettable!
Not quite sure yet. Here was our timeline:

Thursday - with the weather getting worse in CLT, we were debating going Friday or Saturday to Brevard. Leaned towards Saturday.

Friday - we decide to check in with a couple of Kevin's family members, one being his Aunt already in Brevard. She says come on! It's slightly windy, they had power, things are fine! At this point we had no power and Rocky's sitter did, might be better for him. But then I was like, does she know if all the cabins we are staying at have power as she is probably not there yet. We heard from several others who have backed out at this point, with others waiting until Saturday to make the decision, learning that there is now no longer any communication with those already in Brevard. We decide to do the same and wait, hoping our power would return before we leave.

Saturday - We decide to drop off Rocky early and make our way as we are the closest to Brevard and hopefully let family members still debating about the trip. We honestly did not think much of Brevard with his Aunt's initial response and lack of information of that area. We soon realized after making it to Asheville, things weren't good. We were stopped that direction with flooding and then tried to go through Hendersonville, trees stopped us there. With the lack of connection, power outages, and crazy gas lines, we realized we needed to get out and made our way to Greenville for lunch and on to the GA mountains for the night.

We heard on Monday that they were still able to have the ceremony, with 10 there. Whether they had it at one of their houses or the venue, not sure. Will definitely check in with them once they return from their honeymoon to hear all about it.

The similarities are striking, my greatest fear going into Helene was it was going to be another Camille....and I made the mistake of thinking we'd dodged that the night of. Heart Breakingly that was wrong.

There's some crazy stuff being posted by some locals up in the NC area. That's as much as I'll get into. That said, I absolutely believe the people over the media.

Did you get damage from Camille?
Nope not a bit. I was not yet conceived. But I am familiar with it. I was massively into books on natural disasters as a kid the way some kids get into dinosaurs or insects. Really starting with Mnt St Helens and volcanos. Camille always struck me for the fact so many people died so far away from the coast, and had no warning really. Lots of rain and Appalachia don't mix well. Anytime I see a Hurriciane that looks like it might stall out over the mountains I think of Camille.

VN Store

Back