The Official Zone Severe Weather Thread

More from the pilot that was threatened, and what is actually happening. People are still in need of rescue. People are dying. It's not over.
I am NOT posting this to be political. And this is NOT about fingerpointing. This is about getting out info about what is happening on the ground.

Reactions: Pennheel
More from the pilot that was threatened, and what is actually happening. People are still in need of rescue. People are dying. It's not over.
I am NOT posting this to be political. And this is NOT about fingerpointing. This is about getting out info about what is happening on the ground.

I saw a guy who said they were going in and helping to get people out, and was told they'd be arrested if they didn't quit. Another local lady said they were told there'd be no more recovery in their community, they were going to just take in dozers and level what's left. Crazy imo

I saw a guy who said they were going in and helping to get people out, and was told they'd be arrested if they didn't quit. Another local lady said they were told there'd be no more recovery in their community, they were going to just take in dozers and level what's left. Crazy imo
Now truckers are saying they are having their loads of supplies confiscated, or are being turned around. I dunno in todays polarized politics it's hard to disern what is going on. But I beleive the people who have actually gone inside and seen first hand, and I absolutely beleive that helicopter pilot is legit. He is way beyond carrying about politics, and is just pissed. He truly is trying to just save people and get them supplies.

Reactions: joevol33
First hand from Chimney...

This can't be stressed enough. Watch the video and understand the military that has been sent in doesn't even have vehicles that can get through this. helo is only way in.

I mean at this point they need mule teams.

Last edited:

This stuff has me outraged at the lack of care towards people in need. I'm glad there's good people like this guy out there doing something. I've heard stories similar to this and it unfortunately doesn't surprise me in the least. This area of Western NC is in horrible shape and it breaks my heart that there's not more help from the government level. I've also heard of a local restaurant told to shut down their doors from donating because it wasn't something meant for them to do.

Let people help. It's obvious the government isn't in a hurry. Rant over.... not being political.

Reactions: Sgt_Nick_Fury
First hand from Chimney...

This can't be stressed enough. Watch the video and understand the military that has been sent in doesn't even have vehicles that can get through this. helo is only way in.

I mean at this point they need mule teams.

The people I saw that said they were threatened arrest fir goung in to try to find people, said that nobody else was going in that area, it's why they were.

Nephew lives in Asheville and has a ham radio. He says there are plenty of agencies there. They just bicker with each other.
Sister who lives in Weaverville says similar. One of the concerns is gawkers/looters. A lot of residents have left, and gone to the Charlotte or Greenville areas for a few days.

Nephew lives in Asheville and has a ham radio. He says there are plenty of agencies there. They just bicker with each other.
Sister who lives in Weaverville says similar. One of the concerns is gawkers/looters. A lot of residents have left, and gone to the Charlotte or Greenville areas for a few days.
O can definitely see the concern for looters

I didn't like the way the headlines were proclaiming all of the dam "failures". To me, a failed dam is a dam that, in part or as a whole, no longer exists. Water going over the dam is by design in the event of severe flooding - a safety valve.

The conspiracy theories about "seed farming" so to flood this area out to allow Blackrock to buy up all the land for pennies on the dollar, to me, is ridiculous. From what I understand, Blackrock and others already own the mineral rights for all the supposed largest lithium deposit in the world under this area.

Everything I hear and read I digest with a large helping of salt. Too much fear-mongering click-bait crap out there not to.

I didn't like the way the headlines were proclaiming all of the dam "failures". To me, a failed dam is a dam that, in part or as a whole, no longer exists. Water going over the dam is by design in the event of severe flooding - a safety valve.

The conspiracy theories about "seed farming" so to flood this area out to allow Blackrock to buy up all the land for pennies on the dollar, to me, is ridiculous. From what I understand, Blackrock and others already own the mineral rights for all the supposed largest lithium deposit in the world under this area.

Everything I hear and read I digest with a large helping of salt. Too much fear-mongering click-bait crap out there not to.
And B A M! Mojo supplied the troof about it not being the largest in the world over in the PF.

Reactions: WestTennesseeFox

Yeah, i saw some "controlling the hurricane videos "🤣. I don't understand threatening people for helping, bit that's a whole other situation.

*nit conspiracy related 😅.

Guy at wirk ,right after i posted this, shiwed us a news link saying some fema guy threatened a group to stop rescuing people, and they whooped his butt. Idk how true, but odd he showed us that, we weren't even talking about it. It wasn't Facebook, he only reads news stiff.

Reactions: malinoisvol
Yeah, i saw some "controlling the hurricane videos "🤣. I don't understand threatening people for helping, bit that's a whole other situation.
Ok, cautiously tiptoeing in here, and SPEAKING IN GENERALITIES:

The people and agencies in charge of a massive rescue operation have a chit-ton of things to coordinate. Can we get into Site A now? No, we need <something> to happen first - emergency ATC to coordinate flights, waiting on a specific participant to arrive, cleared roads, hospitals on standby with capacity for casualties, favorable winds, whatever - so that it will be both safe and effective to go in. So what do we do instead? - Site B, C, or D for now. And then we can do A once x, y, and z have occurred to make it work.

In the meantime, well-meaning individuals, completely outside the command structure and not communicating with anyone there, want to go help Site A. But let’s say that A requires rotary-winged aircraft (helicopters), and National Guard company Q, Army Squadron R’s air traffic control, and local medical air-rescue group S are all needed to work together for safe and effective rescue.

But Citizen Z is by God determined to fly in, not having coordinated with anyone, and not knowing what flight patterns have been set up. Some poor local county schmuck is the ground contact for Q, R, and S, and he’s yelling at Z, “No, you can’t go in there! You’re screwing everything up!” Z hears part 1 (“No!”) and not part 2 (“Screwing everything up!”)

So everyone had to delay whatever stage of implementation they’re in, because a Lone Ranger is doing his thing.

And the people who Lone Ranger Z picked up are grateful - of course they are!!! If I’m in that position, I’d be grateful if Vladimir Putin came in with the assistance of the Taliban, if it saved my life. But is there a possibility that organized, planned and coordinated rescues were delayed, perhaps fatally for some, because Z was gonna fly in there, by God?

This is all fan-fic, of course, but here’s the point: so is everything else being reported on social media. Passions are high, desire to help is high, and perhaps, in this day and age, there is a pervasive belief in the Hero Rescuer, who does it all on his own, completely ignorant (or uncaring) about other, larger coordinated efforts.

Hollywood is exciting. Real-world emergency rescue response is complex and performed in well-discussed, controlled manners.

There may be way too much passion for Rambo-inspired missions and not nearly enough for military-informed-and-tested coordination, chain of command, and simply following orders, all designed to get the damn mission done.

The people and agencies in charge of a massive rescue operation have a chit-ton of things to coordinate. Can we get into Site A now? No, we need <something> to happen first - emergency ATC to coordinate flights, waiting on a specific participant to arrive, cleared roads, hospitals on standby with capacity for casualties, favorable winds, whatever - so that it will be both safe and effective to go in. So what do we do instead? - Site B, C, or D for now. And then we can do A once x, y, and z have occurred to make it work.

In the meantime, well-meaning individuals, completely outside the command structure and not communicating with anyone there, want to go help Site A. But let’s say that A requires rotary-winged aircraft (helicopters), and National Guard company Q, Army Squadron R’s air traffic control, and local medical air-rescue group S are all needed to work together for safe and effective rescue.

But Citizen Z is by God determined to fly in, not having coordinated with anyone, and not knowing what flight patterns have been set up. Some poor local county schmuck is the ground contact for Q, R, and S, and he’s yelling at Z, “No, you can’t go in there! You’re screwing everything up!” Z hears part 1 (“No!”) and not part 2 (“Screwing everything up!”)

So everyone had to delay whatever stage of implementation they’re in, because a Lone Ranger is doing his thing.

And the people who Lone Ranger Z picked up are grateful - of course they are!!! If I’m in that position, I’d be grateful if Vladimir Putin came in with the assistance of the Taliban, if it saved my life. But is there a possibility that organized, planned and coordinated rescues were delayed, perhaps fatally for some, because Z was gonna fly in there, by God?

This is all fan-fic, of course, but here’s the point: so is everything else being reported on social media. Passions are high, desire to help is high, and perhaps, in this day and age, there is a pervasive belief in the Hero Rescuer, who does it all on his own, completely ignorant (or uncaring) about other, larger coordinated efforts.

Hollywood is exciting. Real-world emergency rescue response is complex and performed in well-discussed, controlled manners.

There may be way too much passion for Rambo-inspired missions and not nearly enough for military-informed-and-tested coordination, chain of command, and simply following orders, all designed to get the damn mission done.

Abermarle operates a lithium mine just west of Charlotte. Just like with every single Fortune 1000 company in America, Blackrock owns shares of Abermarle for their index funds.

While there was some damage in that area of NC, it pales in comparison to the damage 90 miles to the West.

The thesis is the govt seeded the clouds, pushed the storm further east so Abermarle can buy up land and Blackrock is behind it. Some issues with this. First, they didnt push it far enough to the east. Second, Abermarle is struggling because lithium price has plummeted. They are already delaying restarting the mine because prices are too low. Why would they make those investments to buy land when they cant make money at current prices....

Reactions: malinoisvol

I completely understand that, but I see the other side as well, especially if it was family. I'd be trying, despite what the feds said, but that's just how I'm wired. But I do get there's more to it

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back