The Red Line: Part Deux

Thought experiment.

How many of you would change your position if NATO and the UN (that would require Russian and Chinese approval) supported such an attack both in spirit and militarily?

So in your view the UN, Russia, and China have veto power over US military affairs? Interesting.

They do if you accept that the UN Security Council is the ultimate arbiter of whether or not military action can be used in a particular instance.

Not at all.

Your question asks whether we should strike based on what folks like China or Russia or the UN think, as opposed to what is in our interests.

BPV fell for it.

That was not the point. The point was to take away the unilateral angle and add in consensus of moral outrage (as with CW treaties).

I am slowly trying to see how people in thread view this situation if certain facts change. If we stop looking at our own immediate self-interest to possibly our long term best interest. From politics, end-game, etc, to the morality of the situation.

The more I think about it, the more I find this situation fascinating due to all the different facets one can look at the situation from.

Thought experiment.

How many of you would change your position if NATO and the UN (that would require Russian and Chinese approval) supported such an attack both in spirit and militarily?

I would still not be in support of a "punishment" strike.

Without knowing what the goal of such a strike was I wouldn't support it.

We have no moral obligation, human to human, to stop injustices and abuses of others when we can?

Not with our military.

Joe Biden, of all people, said it best in his 2008 convention speech that the US should lead through the "power of it's example rather than the example of it's power".

If the US intervened via military force every time there was a humanitarian crisis somewhere in the world, we'd still have troops in Rwanda, The Sudan, North Korea, Iran, Kashmir, Tibet, Burma, and so on.

VN Store

Back