The US & Our Silly Sanctions Threats

Its coming... if not sanctions, then regime change. Look, I'm not a KSA fan, but you can't go around threatening countries just because they don't do what we say. So we've already sanctioned ourselves from one top 5 oil producer (Russia). Now it looks like they have their eyes on KSA and UAE. Again, at what point will we consider diplomacy and mutually beneficial deals?

Murphy and other Democrats call for 'consequences' for Saudi Arabia over oil production cut
Beyond rethinking the U.S. relationship with Saudi Arabia, Murphy also focused on Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the country's de facto ruler, whom Biden met with in July in negotiations that drew scrutiny given that U.S. intelligence has assessed bin Salman approved the killing of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

US Democrats rally against Saudi Arabia, UAE after oil cuts

I don't mind removing troops and all that, but this is likely where the regime change operation can be implemented also. So now considering our track record of regime change in Ukraine, Iraq and Libya, imagine what effect on oil prices that a failed state Saudi Arabia would look like.

Three Democratic Congress members also introduced a bill seeking the removal of US troops and missile defence systems from Saudi Arabia and the UAE. The measure is unlikely to pass, but it highlights the growing frustration in Washington.

Eventually... said 5 years ago. Where are we at now with North Korean sanctions?
You really going to complain that sanctions arent having an effect on a country dependent on aide to feed its citizens? Or that the USSR and now China dont keep them propped up just enough to stay solvent?

You really going to complain that sanctions arent having an effect on a country dependent on aide to feed its citizens? Or that the USSR and now China dont keep them propped up just enough to stay solvent?
Cuba had sanctions on them for how long while Castro was alive?

Cuba had sanctions on them for how long while Castro was alive?
It was a US embargo. Pretty much every other country in the world could do business with Cuba. It’s why you could buy real Cuban cigars in Canada then sneak them through US customs.

It was a US embargo. Pretty much every other country in the world could do business with Cuba. It’s why you could buy real Cuban cigars in Canada then sneak them through US customs.
Same difference. Embargo. Sanctions. Whatever.

Its coming... if not sanctions, then regime change. Look, I'm not a KSA fan, but you can't go around threatening countries just because they don't do what we say. So we've already sanctioned ourselves from one top 5 oil producer (Russia). Now it looks like they have their eyes on KSA and UAE. Again, at what point will we consider diplomacy and mutually beneficial deals?

Murphy and other Democrats call for 'consequences' for Saudi Arabia over oil production cut

US Democrats rally against Saudi Arabia, UAE after oil cuts

I don't mind removing troops and all that, but this is likely where the regime change operation can be implemented also. So now considering our track record of regime change in Ukraine, Iraq and Libya, imagine what effect on oil prices that a failed state Saudi Arabia would look like.

We have to put up with KSA. They are also adversaries with Iran. There is some nefarious with this administration. They are mad for being worldwide laughing stocks.

We have to put up with KSA. They are also adversaries with Iran. There is some nefarious with this administration. They are mad for being worldwide laughing stocks.
What did Iran ever do to us to make us their enemy? I'm no fan of their govt, but before the US/UK coup in 1953, Iran was one of the more westernized countries in the Middle East. But since then, Iran has been either our puppet state under The Shah or considered a terrorist state.

It seems now that the US/UK/The West hates Iran, Russia and Germany more than anyone because these countries threaten their hegemon and the racketeering.

What did Iran ever do to us to make us their enemy? I'm no fan of their govt, but before the US/UK coup in 1953, Iran was one of the more westernized countries in the Middle East. But since then, Iran has been either our puppet state under The Shah or considered a terrorist state.

It seems now that the US/UK/The West hates Iran, Russia and Germany more than anyone because these countries threaten their hegemon and the racketeering.

They fund terrorism. End of story but my discussion is about the KSA.

The West hates Germany? Germany is part of the West.

Out of all the leaders we have in the world right now, we only have one that has the ability to quote Milton Friedman and has a grasp of basic economics... We would be challenged to find 75% of GOP representatives that could do the same.

Putin quotes Milton Friedman in relation to energy price caps

"In this regard, I would like to quote American economist, Nobel Prize winner Milton Friedman: ‘We economists don't know much, but we do know how to create a shortage. If you want to create a shortage of tomatoes, for example, just pass a law that retailers can't sell tomatoes for more than two cents per pound. Instantly you'll have a tomato shortage. It's the same with oil or gas’. Let me remind you that Milton Friedman passed away in 2006 and he had nothing to do with the Russian government and can no longer be branded Russian agent of influence," Putin said.

Which country had the 9/11 hijackers?

Which country armed and supported or harbored ISIS and Al Qaeda?
a) most were from KSA
b) ISIS - no apparent state sponsor but some say initiated and funded by US, KSA, and Israel
al-Qaeda - no apparent state sponsor, funded with OBL's personal fortune and donations from individuals. Harbored by Afghanistan, which reportedly offered to expel their leadership if we provided proof of their involvement in 911.

Last edited:
Eventually, the SANCTIONS are going to hurt Communist North Korea, and hurt them badly. They are not immune to the effects of the sanctions.
Eventually? 60+ years of sanctions on Cuba. 40+ years on Iran. I guess we will have to wait another 50 years before we really see these NK sanctions bite into them.

Again, you cannot sanction a country that is a trading partner with China.

All US Foreign policy does is lose, lose, lose. Are Americans tired of losing?
Lose on the battlefield. Lose the economic war. Lose when it comes to gaining the support of the world outside of Europe and the Anglosphere.

But boy do we still maintain a lot of hubris with nothing to show for it.

Reactions: volgr
Lose on the battlefield. Lose the economic war. Lose when it comes to gaining the support of the world outside of Europe and the Anglosphere.

But boy do we still maintain a lot of hubris with nothing to show for it.
We lose in nation building. Not a nation that stands a chance on an actual battlefield

VN Store

Back