The very stable genius had to be sequestered from nukes

Someone else posted that Woodward made it seem like Milley did this all on his own. That he unilaterally called China and didn't tell anyone until after it was over.

We can't know for sure because we weren't there to hear how Milley characterized it to Woodward when interviewed. But it sure does seem like maybe Woodward was primed to make it look that way because its a much more interesting read if you say "Oh my gosh! The general had to take this extraordinary measure all on his own to stop WW III !"

Don't get me wrong, I still believe that the underlying genesis of all of this is correct. That is, given Trump's histrionics a lot of people around the world were worried that he'd do something stupid to China to try to justify hanging onto power. I don't think that is so far fetched.

But his capability to do so on the offensive and unchecked is more limited than maybe we believed before. Which is a good thing absent a sudden need to defend ourselves.
While Trump is an idiot, I firmly believe the left leaning media frenzied themselves via their echo chamber. There was no factual basis, they helped create that narrative. As much as you wish to blame Jan 6 on Trump and the right you completely ignore the left and their role in it.

While Trump is an idiot, I firmly believe the left leaning media frenzied themselves via their echo chamber. There was no factual basis, they helped create that narrative. As much as you wish to blame Jan 6 on Trump and the right you completely ignore the left and their role in it.
I’m sure there’s some echo chamber component to some of the speculation about what he might do, but given all the things he actually wanted to do or tried to do and all the people who left the admin saying “that guy’s crazy,” you’ve got to be in your own echo chamber to say “there’s no factual basis.”

The man was still writing letters to GA officials, 9 months later, asking to be declared the winner of an election he lost. He crazy.

I’m sure there’s some echo chamber component to some of the speculation about what he might do, but given all the things he actually wanted to do or tried to do and all the people who left the admin saying “that guy’s crazy,” you’ve got to be in your own echo chamber to say “there’s no factual basis.”

The man was still writing letters to GA officials, 9 months later, asking to be declared the winner of an election he lost. He crazy.

There was no factual basis for any military action against China. At least I never heard anything about this at the time, if there was threat of some military action it was perpetuated by the the left leaning networks.

Obviously had no basis in fact as a military general assured them as much. While I'm no fan of Trump the left made up so much crap and ran with it it's difficult to parse. They are as responsible for Jan 6th as anyone else.

We must do better, infotainment is toxic to the this country. Networks like CNN, Fox, MSNBC are garbage, and unfortunately their "news model" is making it's way to the nightly news outfits on the three legacy networks.

Reactions: ETV and hog88

What are all the things he wanted to or tried to do? Let's keep it to his time in office please.

There was no factual basis for any military action against China. At least I never heard anything about this at the time, if there was threat of some military action it was perpetuated by the the left leaning networks.

Obviously had no basis in fact as a military general assured them as much. While I'm no fan of Trump the left made up so much crap and ran with it it's difficult to parse. They are as responsible for Jan 6th as anyone else.

We must do better, infotainment is toxic to the this country. Networks like CNN, Fox, MSNBC are garbage, and unfortunately their "news model" is making it's way to the nightly news outfits on the three legacy networks.
I agree with enough of this that it’s only really worth pointing out that “nothing was said about military action against China in the media at the time” and “it’s the left leaning media’s fault that China thought we were going to attack them” don’t make much sense together.

What are all the things he wanted to or tried to do? Let's keep it to his time in office please.

While I agree that the list of insane behaviors becomes unwieldy if you go beyond the four years, limiting it to his term doesn’t exclude multiple efforts to get state officials to overturn an election that he lost.

Also, it’s hard to give the benefit of the doubt that this question is asked in good faith when you just admitted that Trump asked and cajoled his VP to carry out a coup.

Fortunately, since we agree that people who embellished his episode should “never be taken seriously again” and you did exactly that on page 6, I’m spared the need to derail the thread with the other half-dozen or so instances where “yeah but he didn’t actually do it” was the last defense of Trump available to his water carriers.

While I agree that the list of insane behaviors becomes unwieldy if you go beyond the four years, limiting it to his term doesn’t exclude multiple efforts to get state officials to overturn an election that he lost.

Also, it’s hard to give the benefit of the doubt that this question is asked in good faith when you just admitted that Trump asked and cajoled his VP to carry out a coup.

Fortunately, since we agree that people who embellished his episode should “never be taken seriously again” and you did exactly that on page 6, I’m spared the need to derail the thread with the other half-dozen or so instances where “yeah but he didn’t actually do it” was the last defense of Trump available to his water carriers.

A lot of words for "I got nothing".

How often do judges tell you to sit down and shut up?

Reactions: NorthDallas40
A lot of words for "I got nothing".

How often do judges tell you to sit down and shut up?
It’s almost like I put two “somethings” in there just to watch you step on this rake and you didn’t disappoint.

The confirmation that you aren’t asking in good faith and shouldn’t be taken seriously is unnecessary, but appreciated nonetheless.

Last edited:
I agree with enough of this that it’s only really worth pointing out that “nothing was said about military action against China in the media at the time” and “it’s the left leaning media’s fault that China thought we were going to attack them” don’t make much sense together.
The sentence fragment right before that that is important. Paraphrasing it because I don't remember the exact phrasing I used "If there were threats made", because I don't watch o read any left leaning media I wouldn't know what they said at the time, just know I didn't hear about. We know it didn't come from the military, we know the president made no threats of that nature. Not sure where else out would have come from. Some here claim it happened, if it did who?

The sentence fragment right before that that is important. Paraphrasing it because I don't remember the exact phrasing I used "If there were threats made", because I don't watch o read any left leaning media I wouldn't know what they said at the time, just know I didn't hear about. We know it didn't come from the military, we know the president made no threats of that nature. Not sure where else out would have come from. Some here claim it happened, if it did who?
I may have misunderstood your first post. If you were saying “no factual basis to believe Trump would attack China,” then while I’m not sure the Chinese had no factual basis, I certainly don’t have one. I thought you were saying no factual basis for any of the things people worried he might do.

I don’t read everything that comes out, so I can’t say there was nothing in the media about it. Pretty sure the version that was discussed in the articles about the book said that it was based on some training exercises or war games that we were running. At least that was the issue back in October.

To me, as I said two weeks ago, the “calls to China” part of the story really didn’t seem to be about Trump at all. In the parts of the book that were pre-published, Woodward never drew a connection between the facts and the suggestion that Milley was acting to save the republic from a deranged Trump. It was just sort of thrown in with other “Trump looks crazy” bits of information like the nuclear launch procedure meeting, the Pelosi call, and what we all knew about Trump’s behavior at that time as if they all shared the same genesis. That’s why the attempted dogpile on Milley for undermining Trump was so nonsensical.

Last edited:
Trump was not going to nuke China. I don't care how much you hate the guy, anyone insisting there was a risk of that is an idiot. Let's keep this in reality. There's enough real behavior to criticize him on that people don't need to make **** up.

You don't get it.

The issue wasn't whether he ACTUALLY WOULD nuke China. The issue is that, right or wrong, they THOUGHT he was going to. They might have struck first or misread something and caused calamity. That is why Milley called them to reassure them their intelligence was wrong.

You don't get it.

The issue wasn't whether he ACTUALLY WOULD nuke China. The issue is that, right or wrong, they THOUGHT he was going to. They might have struck first or misread something and caused calamity. That is why Milley called them to reassure them their intelligence was wrong.
I don't think you get it. You're buying a load of bull ****. China MAY have thought some conflict would erupt over their activities in the South China Sea, but not to the point of involving nukes. Everyone who lived through the Cold War knows what happens if nukes come into play, and neither side wants to go down that road.

Congratulations on buying into a conspiracy theory. I believe we have a thread for that.

You don't get it.

Hate to tell you but MAD and consequence are reality every day.
Milley assumed the CCP intelligence was wrong. He did not know their intelligence.
I would venture to say that the CCP might of considered it even a ploy that a strike was likely to keep them momentarily subdued (If we want to deal with hypotheticals)

I don't think you get it. You're buying a load of bull ****. China MAY have thought some conflict would erupt over their activities in the South China Sea, but not to the point of involving nukes. Everyone who lived through the Cold War knows what happens if nukes come into play, and neither side wants to go down that road.

Congratulations on buying into a conspiracy theory. I believe we have a thread for that.
Milley assumed the CCP intelligence was wrong. He did not know their intelligence.
I would venture to say that the CCP might of considered it even a ploy that a strike was likely to keep them momentarily subdued (If we want to deal with hypotheticals)

Sheez, it would have been absolutely idiotic for Milley to have assumed that the Chinese would have just figured out that their intelligence was wrong and let them stew on it.

He did the right thing.

No offense, but unless you’re a former general, Milley has a teentsy bit more experience in this domain than you and was consulting with roughly a dozen other experienced people, that we know of, while communicating with someone with whom he has a professional relationship. And we know how it worked out. This is like armchair quarterbacking Peyton’s performance in a game that he won. I don’t get it.

Meanwhile, @Weezer didn’t read the story… again.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Sheez, it would have been absolutely idiotic for Milley to have assumed that the Chinese would have just figured out that their intelligence was wrong and let them stew on it.

He did the right thing.
Now that all the facts are out I agree. I think he should be sacked for admitting he leaked **** to the press. That's unacceptable.

Now that all the facts are out I agree. I think he should be sacked for admitting he leaked **** to the press. That's unacceptable.

That's a legitimate point. I can see how some would feel that way.

Me, personally, I think he did it because he absolutely positively never wants to see Trump in that office again. He witnessed first hand what a debacle Trump was.

If it looks like Trump has a prayer in 2024, have a feeling you will see a lot of folks making the decision that it's so important to keep Trump out of the White House that they'll make the decision to risk career rather than let it happen.

Me, personally, I think he did it because he absolutely positively never wants to see Trump in that office again. He witnessed first hand what a debacle Trump was.

If it looks like Trump has a prayer in 2024, have a feeling you will see a lot of folks making the decision that it's so important to keep Trump out of the White House that they'll make the decision to risk career rather than let it happen.

It doesn’t matter what he feels. He knew it was wrong to do but did it anyway. That necessitates his removal.

That's a pretty damn dangerous precedent to be ok with.

After the disastrous Afghanistan withdrawal, I had to laugh at you calling Trump a "debacle". Trump is an arrogant prick, but "debacle" is a better description for Biden.

Reactions: hog88

VN Store

Back