The Who’s Roger Daltrey Slams ‘The Woke Generation’: They’re Creating a ‘Miserable World for Themselves,’ ‘We’ve Seen the Communist System Fail’

For one he’s being interviewed. It’s not like he’s in front of a live audience yelling F*** BIDEN. It’s not like he’s on a daily TV show pushing his agenda with the help of the network. He’s not stealing the spotlight during a pregame ritual to honor his flag and country. Basically he’s not in our face attempting to lead impressionable sheep. He stated his opinion of what he’s observed and he’s not using disgusting tactics against those that disagree with him.

Meh.

Not different at all. You just like the content of this better.

Lame.

Baby Boomers obsession with overrated British rock bands, longevity does not equal greatness neither does being able to write your own music. Thousands of musicians write their own songs. The Eagles, with Joe Walsh, played together for about five years and Guns n Roses lasted about seven years. I guess if they had British accents and played together for forty years they would have achieved the definition of “greatness”

Bands like The Who transformed music. Thousands of musicians write their own songs… probably more accurate to say a couple million. But very few are musical geniuses (like PT) that also achieved huge success. The Who not only evolved their sound they also filled the gap transitioning a genre from the silly early incarnations to the kick ass style still around today. Pete practically invented guitar feedback. He was a pioneer with the synthesizer. Discounting what they did and what they were is just ignorance or foolish trolling.

Last edited:
Papa Joe Breen took us CYO kids (I was 14 and my first concert ever) to the Omni in '73 for the Quadrophenia tour, some guy named Lynyrd Skynyrd opened the show. Been downhill ever since.

Bands like The Who transformed music. Thousands of musicians write their own songs… probably more accurate to say a couple million. But very few are musical geniuses (like PT) that also achieved huge success. The Who not only evolved their sound they also filled the gap transitioning a genre from the silly early incarnations to the kick ass style still around today. Pete practically invented guitar feedback. He was a pioneer with the synthesizer. Discounting what they did and what they were is just ignorance or foolish trolling.

Everyone says the same thing about Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Doors, etc. No offense but they all can’t be revolutionary and transformative. Every era of music had its great ones, they are no different. The only difference between The Who and more modern rock bands is nostalgia. Is Pete Townsend a great guitarist? Yes, so are many others. Was he a great song writer? Yes, so are many others. There is nothing magical about Roger Daltrey’s voice. Do they have some good songs? Yes, but let’s stop pretending that the British rock invasion of the 60’s was some magical era that produced rock nirvana. There have been dozens of great bands across many genres since The Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc. that were just as talented and produced great albums. The deification of certain bands is nonsense. Dave Grohl and Trent Reznor played nearly every instrument on their early albums, as well as wrote their own music. Those are just two examples. They are just as talented if not more than Pete Townsend, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Jimmy Page, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge Pink Floyd and Eagles fan but they don’t walk on water. There have been numerous great bands from many era’s that produced great albums. Guns n Roses, Metallica, Nirvana, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Guess Who, The Beach Boys, Doobie Brothers, Hall and Oats, Duran Duran, etc. are just a few examples

Everyone says the same thing about Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Doors, etc. No offense but they all can’t be revolutionary and transformative. Every era of music had its great ones, they are no different. The only difference between The Who and more modern rock bands is nostalgia. Is Pete Townsend a great guitarist? Yes, so are many others. Was he a great song writer? Yes, so are many others. There is nothing magical about Roger Daltrey’s voice. Do they have some good songs? Yes, but let’s stop pretending that the British rock invasion of the 60’s was some magical era that produced rock nirvana. There have been dozens of great bands across many genres since The Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc. that were just as talented and produced great albums. The deification of certain bands is nonsense. Dave Grohl and Trent Reznor played nearly every instrument on their early albums, as well as wrote their own music. Those are just two examples. They are just as talented if not more than Pete Townsend, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Jimmy Page, etc.

Pete Townsend isn’t a great guitarist. He’s a great musician and an even better song writer, arranger, and producer. He’s like The Who’s version of John Lennon and Martin. The Who is a great band. Entwistle and Keith Moon are arguably the greatest rhythm section in the history of Rock and Roll music. I’m saying this and they are probably not in my top 10 favorite acts.

The bands that you are dissing ruled Rock in the late 60s and early 70s. Vietnam War, social upheaval, blasting away at racial barriers, free love, long hair on males, Soviet nuclear war threats, assassinations, protests, electrified instruments and rudimentary studio techniques… it’s all interwoven with that music. My favorite era for music. And it was before my time of being aware of what was going on, but the recordings were there once I started listening to stuff other than KISS and Nugent. IMO they raised the bar from the early roots like Bill Haley, Elvis, Buddy Holly, the Everlies, etc. Grunge is just a sub-genre. Nothing outstanding although I prefer most of that over Punk and New Wave. Dave Grohl and Mike McCready would be at the front of the line giving The Who and the others respect for what they accomplished.

Reactions: StarRaider and AM64
Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge Pink Floyd and Eagles fan but they don’t walk on water. There have been numerous great bands from many era’s that produced great albums. Guns n Roses, Metallica, Nirvana, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Guess Who, The Beach Boys, Doobie Brothers, Hall and Oats, Duran Duran, etc. are just a few examples

Journey? Duran Duran? LOL.

Hall and Oats?

I'm going by memory, but in the years before the Beatles hit popular music had maybe not hit bottom but it was going that way. It's hard to name somebody consistent in the early 60's. The Beach Boys and other surfer groups were about the best 1963 had to offer, "Stranger on the Shore" by Acker Bilk wasn't even rock but it was the top song in 1962, "Tossin' and Turnin'" by Bobby Lewis was the top song in 1961 - Lawrence Welk's Calcutta was #11 - I looked those up to see if it was what I remembered - it was. So to be honest when the Beatles came along in late 1963 it was pretty magical by comparison - certainly something different that changed the game.

I'm going by memory, but in the years before the Beatles hit popular music had maybe not hit bottom but it was going that way. It's hard to name somebody consistent in the early 60's. The Beach Boys and other surfer groups were about the best 1963 had to offer, "Stranger on the Shore" by Acker Bilk wasn't even rock but it was the top song in 1962, "Tossin' and Turnin'" by Bobby Lewis was the top song in 1961 - Lawrence Welk's Calcutta was #11 - I looked those up to see if it was what I remembered - it was. So to be honest when the Beatles came along in late 1963 it was pretty magical by comparison - certainly something different that changed the game.

For the most part, 1968-1973 is the sweet spot for me. Amazing tunage. I am impressed that My Generation was from 1965. It sounds more like 1969/70 to me. IMO Monterey Pop in 1967 kind of got things rolling. That transformation blows away the later rock evolutions of metal, punk, new wave, grunge, synthesizers, etc. James. Marshall. Hendrix.

Reactions: StarRaider and AM64
For the most part, 1968-1973 is the sweet spot for me. Amazing tunage. I am impressed that My Generation was from 1965. It sounds more like 1969/70 to me. IMO Monterey Pop in 1967 kind of got things rolling. That transformation blows away the later rock evolutions of metal, punk, new wave, grunge, synthesizers, etc. James. Marshall. Hendrix.

I liked a lot of those groups - and others like CCR. I never really cared for Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin though. When I was stationed on Okinawa from 1968 - 70, I think I missed out on a lot of good music - it was a little like portrayed in "Good Morning, Viet Nam" except without a renegade playing good stuff. There was one commercial station aimed for the US audience, but I never heard some music when it was popular during that time - so it's a little like a time warp for me. I've always thought that TV and MTV were a bad influence on music. It's really an audio medium, and the best performers on stage or in videos often aren't the best musicians.

If you weren't near a bigger place like Nashville or Knoxville in the 60's, you were kinda out of luck for pop music anyway. The best you could do at night was WLS in Chicago and they were pretty iffy. They would play covers of Mamas and Papas music by the Buckinghams or something similar.

I liked a lot of those groups - and others like CCR. I never really cared for Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin though. When I was stationed on Okinawa from 1968 - 70, I think I missed out on a lot of good music - it was a little like portrayed in "Good Morning, Viet Nam" except without a renegade playing good stuff. There was one commercial station aimed for the US audience, but I never heard some music when it was popular during that time - so it's a little like a time warp for me. I've always thought that TV and MTV were a bad influence on music. It's really an audio medium, and the best performers on stage or in videos often aren't the best musicians.

If you weren't near a bigger place like Nashville or Knoxville in the 60's, you were kinda out of luck for pop music anyway. The best you could do at night was WLS in Chicago and they were pretty iffy. They would play covers of Mamas and Papas music by the Buckinghams or something similar.

It was scandalous and hilarious. The Stones had to change the lyrics “let’s spend the night together” to “let’s spend some time together” on Ed Sullivan. Then the Doors gave them the middle finger by sticking with “girl we couldn’t get much higher” instead of changing it to “we couldn’t get much better”. That was more shocking than everybody trying to outdo everybody else today… especially in Hip Hop. Even in 1979 AC/DC released Highway to Hell and THAT was highly controversial. Lots of ground was broken as Rock became electrified and distorted.

I love Hendrix because I’m a guitar guy. A lot of it does sound messy to me though… pre-digital age and pre auto tuning the recordings could be rough. Most of what I like has to have some good picking. I don’t even really care much for the Doors minus the bass guitar.

Run Through the Jungle, Fortunate Son, and their version of Heard it Through the Grapevine are some of my all time favorites.

Daltry calling out the Cancel Culture Clan… I’m cool with that.

Pete Townsend isn’t a great guitarist. He’s a great musician and an even better song writer, arranger, and producer. He’s like The Who’s version of John Lennon and Martin. The Who is a great band. Entwistle and Keith Moon are arguably the greatest rhythm section in the history of Rock and Roll music. I’m saying this and they are probably not in my top 10 favorite acts.

The bands that you are dissing ruled Rock in the late 60s and early 70s. Vietnam War, social upheaval, blasting away at racial barriers, free love, long hair on males, Soviet nuclear war threats, assassinations, protests, electrified instruments and rudimentary studio techniques… it’s all interwoven with that music. My favorite era for music. And it was before my time of being aware of what was going on, but the recordings were there once I started listening to stuff other than KISS and Nugent. IMO they raised the bar from the early roots like Bill Haley, Elvis, Buddy Holly, the Everlies, etc. Grunge is just a sub-genre. Nothing outstanding although I prefer most of that over Punk and New Wave. Dave Grohl and Mike McCready would be at the front of the line giving The Who and the others respect for what they accomplished.

Not dissing at all, just acknowledging that the deification of certain British bands from the 60's and 70's is greatly overblown. Greatness is relative to the era in which they played. There were dozens of other bands from that era that produced great albums who are overshadowed by the love affair with a few specific bands.

It was scandalous and hilarious. The Stones had to change the lyrics “let’s spend the night together” to “let’s spend some time together” on Ed Sullivan. Then the Doors gave them the middle finger by sticking with “girl we couldn’t get much higher” instead of changing it to “we couldn’t get much better”. That was more shocking than everybody trying to outdo everybody else today… especially in Hip Hop. Even in 1979 AC/DC released Highway to Hell and THAT was highly controversial. Lots of ground was broken as Rock became electrified and distorted.

I love Hendrix because I’m a guitar guy. A lot of it does sound messy to me though… pre-digital age and pre auto tuning the recordings could be rough. Most of what I like has to have some good picking. I don’t even really care much for the Doors minus the bass guitar.

Run Through the Jungle, Fortunate Son, and their version of Heard it Through the Grapevine are some of my all time favorites.

Daltry calling out the Cancel Culture Clan… I’m cool with that.

Another prime example of nostalgia at its finest, CCR only produced studio albums during a four year span and never had a single number one hit. Don't get me wrong they have a few good songs but they are greatly overblown. Let me guess, they were "revolutionary" and "groundbreaking"

Another prime example of nostalgia at its finest, CCR only produced studio albums during a four year span and never had a single number one hit. Don't get me wrong they have a few good songs but they are greatly overblown. Let me guess, they were "revolutionary" and "groundbreaking"

They’re certainly filling the bill of your last comment. Southern California boys sounding like Cajuns.

Let me guess. Britney Spears sold a lot of music so she’s on your greatest artists list.

Seems like you’re trolling an age demographic more than making valid points. I’m not a fan of rap and hip hop, but I’m not going to be stupid and discount what guys like Tupac, Dre, and Eminem contributed.

They’re certainly filling the bill of your last comment. Southern California boys sounding like Cajuns.

Let me guess. Britney Spears sold a lot of music so she’s on your greatest artists list.

Seems like you’re trolling an age demographic more than making valid points. I’m not a fan of rap and hip hop, but I’m not going to be stupid and discount what guys like Tupac, Dre, and Eminem contributed.

No, a California band sounding Cajun isn't revolutionary. It's a goofy shtick by John Fogerty. Stop deflecting to Brittany Spears, it's always the fallback when anyone criticizes the deification of Led Zeppelin and the like.

No, a California band sounding Cajun isn't revolutionary. It's a goofy shtick by John Fogerty. Stop deflecting to Brittany Spears, it's always the fallback when anyone criticizes the deification of Led Zeppelin and the like.

You were using record sales to uphold your off kilter opinion. It’s not a deflection.

CCR is a really good band. It’s not a shtick. You just have a bias and haven’t made any reasonable points. I only see trolling with your comments.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX

VN Store

Back