This is how a national championship caliber team looks..

Georgia has been everyone’s kryptonite. Of course we got room for improvement but so far we looks pretty stout on both sides of the ball. One game at a time. We for sure got a dangerous team if we put it all together. Lots of tough games but we’re tough too! GBO
This….one game at a time. This is such a volatile sport. Gotta keep working. This is definitely a 🔝 10 caliber team when we’re firing on all cylinders. Just gotta keep stacking good days and build

The performance you just saw was a classic Alabama/Georgia type dominant performance along the lines of scrimmage. Nico and receivers didn't even play that well and we won by 40+ points against a ranked opponent.

The best stat for measuring a dominant team isn't actually scoring margin (which can be susceptible to turnovers) but rather yardage differential. Our yardage differential thru 2 games has to be one of the best in the country. We're not just winning games by a lot of points. We're literally not allowing our opponent to move the ball while moving the ball at will with our offense.

We can play with anyone in the country. We look like a national championship caliber team.
The fact you started this thread makes it much less likely. I hate you.

We look fantastic, but still have a lot to prove. I think this game was perfect because it showed our strengths and weaknesses.

1. We absolutely need to clean up penalties. Some in this game were absolutely backbreaking. Some were really ticky tack crap that was arguable but losing 70 yards on them and killing drives didn’t do us any favors.

2. Some timing issues with O-line allowed pressure at times due to missed blocks. This needs to be eliminated and I expect it to be.

3. Some miscommunication between Nico and the receivers. Not worried about this one. This is just chemistry issues that can be fixed with more practice. Think they learned a lot in this game against a pretty good secondary.

Nothing to say about the defense. They allowed 3 points. What more can you ask? Our Dline is made up of fully grown men and they own real estate in offensive backfields. Pure domination that continued for 60 minutes.

The secondary needs work
The secondary played fine outside of the first series. Did you watch the game ? McCall had a little over 130 something yards. That's a win in any league. Not to mention they came up in support and made some stops for loss. This is not the game to be talking any smack about any group of the defense.

We have the best d-line in the country by a wide margin. A great offensive line. A heisman caliber QB. A starting NFL RB. And one of the deepest group of pass catchers in the country.

I don't see a weakness on this team.
Our front 7 is elite. Secondary is still not great. Nico isn’t a Heisman level QB. Those pass catchers failed to get consistent separation against a mid level ACC defense. Also to be fair we haven’t played a team with a good offense yet.

Just stop already.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We look fantastic, but still have a lot to prove. I think this game was perfect because it showed our strengths and weaknesses.

1. We absolutely need to clean up penalties. Some in this game were absolutely backbreaking. Some were really ticky tack crap that was arguable but losing 70 yards on them and killing drives didn’t do us any favors.

2. Some timing issues with O-line allowed pressure at times due to missed blocks. This needs to be eliminated and I expect it to be.

3. Some miscommunication between Nico and the receivers. Not worried about this one. This is just chemistry issues that can be fixed with more practice. Think they learned a lot in this game against a pretty good secondary.

Nothing to say about the defense. They allowed 3 points. What more can you ask? Our Dline is made up of fully grown men and they own real estate in offensive backfields. Pure domination that continued for 60 minutes.
Penalties are a hallmark of Heupels team. It hasn’t changed in 4 years.

The secondary played fine outside of the first series. Did you watch the game ? McCall had a little over 130 something yards. That's a win in any league. Not to mention they came up in support and made some stops for loss. This is not the game to be talking any smack about any group of the defense.
3 looks like the type of corner I haven’t seen at UT in a while he is very athletic and tackles aggressive and plays the ball pretty well… this defense is nasty and flys around and hits really hard… big confidence boost.

Penalties are a hallmark of Heupels team. It hasn’t changed in 4 years.
Yeah but I’m not even referring to just offensive penalties at this point which as you said appear to be unavoidable in this offense. Offsides, PFs, DPI. These usually haven’t been a big problem with the defense. Hopefully it was just the jitters against a good early season opponent.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The performance you just saw was a classic Alabama/Georgia type dominant performance along the lines of scrimmage. Nico and receivers didn't even play that well and we won by 40+ points against a ranked opponent.

The best stat for measuring a dominant team isn't actually scoring margin (which can be susceptible to turnovers) but rather yardage differential. Our yardage differential thru 2 games has to be one of the best in the country. We're not just winning games by a lot of points. We're literally not allowing our opponent to move the ball while moving the ball at will with our offense.

We can play with anyone in the country. We look like a national championship caliber team.
Let's pump the brakes and chill way the hell out until we beat a few teams that actually matter.

Of course I watched the game but you need to realize our pass game defense is far from perfect and when we play Bama and Georgia there’s a lot of loose ends that need to be tighten up. If you think our defense is perfect you’ll have a rude wake up call come the time we play in Athens

Dude….let the guy have an opinion. We’re all Vol fans here.
Nah.., he's no Vol fan. He's just a troll that makes bombastic statements when things are looking up. He'll be the first to denigrate our team if things go south.
Embrassing.

Putrid.

Disgusting.

I can't believe I trusted these guys to improve. I can't believe I thought Butch Jones was anything but a liability. I can't believe I thought Dobbs could pass the ball.

I'd like to apologize to everyone for everything I said over the summer. This team sucks and this QB is terrible.

Hopefully Florida blasts them next week and Butch Jones is fired on the spot.

Let's pump the brakes and chill way the hell out until we beat a few teams that actually matter.
Hate this attitude. We saw it in 2022.
“Well it’s just Pitt, wait til Florida.”
“Well it’s just Florida, wait til LSU.”
“Well LSU isn’t that good, wait til Bama.”

Not going to “chill” and wait until the season’s halfway gone to be excited. It’s a short portion of the year that we get to cheer our Vols.

VN Store

Back