This isn’t on Heupel

How many times did we have 3rd and long and run the ball? One possession, believe it was the one where the fair catch penalty came up, but we're pinned deep , and ran the ball like we had a 30 point lead. If you are running the ball when it's 3rd down and 19, you are trying to lose.

He didn’t call a perfect game is an understatement. Let’s blame refs like we do every year though.
Another one that didn't watch the game.

If you don't think refereeing directly impacted the outcome of this game...I'm not allowed to say what needs to be said here... but you're trying too hard to be with the cool kids.

Reactions: sami
Just an opinion .. I like Milton but he has limitations . I was at the game . It looked like the two cornerbacks were outside the hash marks on most plays taking away the outside edge and daring him to throw a slant. His strength is the routes that don’t require as much touch and he can turn the ball loose. … bubble screen and hook routes . Slants require touch and accuracy . A mistake on that route is a pick . The middle of the field is an issue . Play calling is limited. One penalty for the game didn’t help and we got smacked around on the line in the second half. Looked like they were keeping a tight end or back in to pick up blitz and our secondary got exposed .

Last edited:
Alabama is about to go 11-1/8-0 in the SEC with their only loss to a loaded Texas team. They are absolutely loaded and have the best coach in college football history. The 13 point lead we had in the 1st half was their largest first half home deficit since 2019. It definitely sucks to lose that lead and the game. The bigger mystery isn't that Alabama won the game, it's that we were able to be leading 20-7 with terribly one-sided officiating, and a roster still feeling the effects of NCAA sanctions.

Urban Meyer went 9-4 in year 3 at Florida after a spectacular year 2, with no where close to the obstacles Heupel is facing.

We are two or three years ahead of schedule right now and while this loss stings, the program is in a great spot and Heupel still looks like a miracle worker.

I generally agree with most of that. I am not arguing for or against Heupel. I was against the hire, I dont hide from that. I agree he is ahead of schedule however I would push back on the program being in a great spot. We have missed on some recruits. We have huge needs in a few positions, one being OL. We have some questionable position coaches. I think we are in a much improved position but there is still much work to do and hopefully Heupel is the guy to do it. We'll see.

Reactions: CSVol and volfeeva
Let me preface this by saying he didn’t call a perfect game by any stretch, but the nonstop snowball of flags or lack thereof are impossible to gameplan against.

We ran well, threw well, hell we even defended well. Nothing you can do to beat the stripes on top of it all. Some calls could’ve been different, but hindsight is 20/20 when in a fair game this is completely different.

We were screwed the second we laced them up. Team did enough to win, Bama just could play beyond the rules and refs created new rules on the fly to screw us.
If this is investigated and found ro be true, the refs should be fired and prosecuted for conspiracy to commit a confidence game. This BS has to be stopped. We can no longer get fairness of governance. The least we cane expect is fair play in sporting events!!!!!! Screw the bettors, I am sick of this shite!!!!

I remember last year all of us making fun of Bama for all of their ref blaming .
Yeah, they had 17 penalties to our 6 last year, which is even larger a margin than 8 to 1. It looks like the same sort of sour grapes to outsiders. They didn't even mention the officiating on sec cfb final yesterday. I did think it would at least get a mention.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Only complaint I have on the game that involved Heupel was his decision to go for it twice on fourth down. If your must do it then you need the QB to be under center as that is the best way to get inches or less than a yard. Trying to run a fourth down play from the shotgun formation is just futile at least half of the time.

Reactions: Tnslim1
How many times did we have 3rd and long and run the ball? One possession, believe it was the one where the fair catch penalty came up, but we're pinned deep , and ran the ball like we had a 30 point lead. If you are running the ball when it's 3rd down and 19, you are trying to lose.
Not necessarily. You most always run 3rd and 19 in your own territory when it's a close game, unless you're 1-5 and not very good.

You haven't watched a lot of ball. Throwing out of your own endzone is a recipe for a pick 6 or a safety and 2 points then you're punting and giving them ball at 50 and another 7 points. Basically when they called the fake fair catch and we started on the 4 in a hostile environment it was like a turnover. If he had thrown there and got tackled in the end zone or a pick 6 you would be the first on here saying. How crazy throwing out of your end zone in hostile away game. The series was over before it started, part of a perfect storm for a 27 point outburst.

Did we leave points on the table in the first half? Yes. Did we play and coach like crap in the second half? Yes. However, they were never going to let us win that game. The league wants the possibility of 2 sec teams in the playoffs and a bama loss to us eliminates that. I look for the gumps to get away with murder vs lsu and in the seccg vs ga if they are still undefeated.

Did we leave points on the table in the first half? Yes. Did we play and coach like crap in the second half? Yes. However, they were never going to let us win that game. The league wants the possibility of 2 sec teams in the playoffs and a bama loss to us eliminates that. I look for the gumps to get away with murder vs lsu and in the seccg vs ga if they are still undefeated.

So if we'd actually scored TDe on all 4 trips to the red zone in the first half instead of settling for FGs on half of them, and you know, scored any points on the last half of the game, you think the officiating crew would have found a way to keep us from winning?

How exactly?

Reactions: Jimmyandjoes
So if we'd actually scored TDe on all 4 trips to the red zone in the first half instead of settling for FGs on half of them, and you know, scored any points on the last half of the game, you think the officiating crew would have found a way to keep us from winning?

How exactly?
By not calling penalties on them and finding way to call penalties on us. So basically the same game plan.

How exactly?
Well obviously if you score every time you have the ball you're most likely going to win. However that was never going to happen, and 20-7 halftime at bama was something we all would have been happy with. Unfortunately for us we weren't far enough ahead to keep the zebras from effecting the outcome. And yes I know it's our own fault we didn't have more points.

A draw on 3rd and long can be seen every Saturday in any football game you choose to watch. Been that way forever

By not calling penalties on them and finding way to call penalties on us. So basically the same game plan.

So, bear with me, if we'd actually scored 4 TDs in the first half, which would have put us as 28 rather than 20, and then scored at least a single TD in the second half, you still think we'd have lost if the rest of the game went exactly the same as it did?

Well obviously if you score every time you have the ball you're most likely going to win. However that was never going to happen, and 20-7 halftime at bama was something we all would have been happy with. Unfortunately for us we weren't far enough ahead to keep the zebras from effecting the outcome. And yes I know it's our own fault we didn't have more points.

Your argument would be more compelling if we scored a single point in the second half. We were dealing with the same no-calls on holding and PI in the first half, and still managed 20 points.

The lack of adjustment, and subsequently the lack of execution and scoring points were larger factors than crap officiating.

Yeah, they had 17 penalties to our 6 last year, which is even larger a margin than 8 to 1. It looks like the same sort of sour grapes to outsiders. They didn't even mention the officiating on sec cfb final yesterday. I did think it would at least get a mention.
And I totally get that there were issues with officiating as there always is. I just reject the suggestion it lost the game. The team/staff had many chances to make the plays to win the game. Maybe they should bench these guys that refuse to wrap up when tackling and go for the strip of the ball while a ball carrier takes them for a 4-7 yard ride .

We got out coached in the 2nd half Saturday . Bama made adjustments and we could not figure them out. Their first down offense was dominant. Ours was abysmal. I don't buy into the refs cost us the game. The ref didn't allow bama's linebacker to hit Milton blind side for a scoop and score. Listen to the former players when they will tell you the same thing.(Swain,Shuler,Irwin,stowell,overtreet) We got whipped on the line of scrimmage. We didn't do maxim #3: "If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up… put on more steam" We quit the 2nd half. This whole the refs cost us the game is embarrassing for our fan base. Sure calls were missed but not to the point where we win that game. This team is full of seniors who have been inconsistent and fade out over several quarters this year.Grow up. We got beat.

Uh. 17-6 turns out to be less than 3-1. Not larger than 8-1

where/how does anyone come up with this "play to not lose" strategy? For God's sakes, it was a six point game two plays into the second half! Thats not a lead anyone would even think about sitting on!

VN Store

Back