This isn’t on Heupel

I promise you, the fans that are mad are way more emotional about the loss than the players. Many of them seem to not have a care in the world. It’s all fun and games on the sideline as they are getting their butts kicked on the field. If they cared they’d do something about it. This team is still infected with a losers mentality. They can’t win the tough games consistently. They crack under pressure. Yesterday was a great example of this teams loser mindset and absolutely pathetic to watch.
I do agree that the fans care way more than players. It hurts my soul.

Reactions: Rando
In the past 9 trips to AL I have hoped we would pull off some miracle upset. It got to where I wasn’t even watching this game during the end of Butch and Pruitt years.

While I didn’t necessarily think we would win, I felt very confident we could without needing said miracle. When we went up by 2 scores at half time my emotions were super high. Only to see them totally wilt. THAT hurts more than just knowing we suck and getting out butt kicked.
That was a bad way to lose a game. Get your hopes up then the second half happened..

He didn’t call a perfect game is an understatement. Let’s blame refs like we do every year though.
You obviously did not watch the game. Second, you obviously do not understand the impact of the type calls and no calls directed against Tennessee in the second half. The missed PI, the fair catch ridiculous call, even after replay, and the numerous missed holding calls on Bama offensive lineman were plenty to give Bama the advantage. Bama fans complained about Tennessee home cooking last year. So, are we down to just rigging games for the home team? Sure seems like it. I love the Vols and give credit to Bama for some excellent plays. I just have too many friends, neighbors, and fans of many teams who watched the game, and other games over the years, and all believe there needs to be serious changes in officiating at SEC and NCAA levels. I see it in basketball and baseball too. College and pros. There is so much money and power on the line, officiating would be the easy way to rig the games. Tennessee is getting called for 6.3 penalties per game and Bama 6.0. And then there is this.....

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. − Josh Heupel was silent for approximately 15 seconds when asked about the officiating in Tennessee football's 34-20 loss to Alabama on Saturday.

“Next question, yeah? Was that a long enough silence?" Heupel said after breaking his silence.

The question that prompted Heupel's silence asked if officiating was one-sided and suggested that Tennessee had to play two-hand touch while Alabama was allowed to play "Mortal Kombat." The Vols coach tapped his hands on the lectern multiple times and put his head down during his silence before raising his head and looking around the room.

Tennessee was flagged for eight penalties for 55 yards, while Alabama was called for one penalty that cost the Crimson Tide five yards. Alabama's lone penalty was an illegal snap in the third quarter, which followed back-to-back penalties on Tennessee's defense for jumping offsides.

Reactions: GBOx2
An explanation of the ridiculous fair catch "invalid" call and placement of the ball on the 4 yard line. I do not blame Iowa for being pissed and this ridiculous assessment of valid (should be hands waving over your head) and motioning down low to get away from an errant punt, cost Tennessee a HUGE starting position for a critical drive. Add in the PI and numerous missed holding calls while calling ticky tack offensive movement, agree some of that was correct calls, results in a game decided by officials and not by coaches and players. https://www.si.com/college/2023/10/...the NCAA rulebook,their body more than once.”

Let me preface this by saying he didn’t call a perfect game by any stretch, but the nonstop snowball of flags or lack thereof are impossible to gameplan against.

We ran well, threw well, hell we even defended well. Nothing you can do to beat the stripes on top of it all. Some calls could’ve been different, but hindsight is 20/20 when in a fair game this is completely different.

We were screwed the second we laced them up. Team did enough to win, Bama just could play beyond the rules and refs created new rules on the fly to screw us.

Our playcalling was horrible coming out of the half. Bama woke up, we fell asleep.

The calls were a problem, but not why we lost. We shot ourselves in the foot 4 times in the 4th alone

Let me preface this by saying he didn’t call a perfect game by any stretch, but the nonstop snowball of flags or lack thereof are impossible to gameplan against.

We ran well, threw well, hell we even defended well. Nothing you can do to beat the stripes on top of it all. Some calls could’ve been different, but hindsight is 20/20 when in a fair game this is completely different.

We were screwed the second we laced them up. Team did enough to win, Bama just could play beyond the rules and refs created new rules on the fly to screw us.

It is 100% on Heupel. He's the head football coach and CEO of this team. He's accountable for this.

Reactions: volfeeva
0-5 on fourth down last 2 games, sometimes you just have to punt🤦‍♂️
I'd not seen this stat.

Realistically, some of those might have been end of game/end of half 4th downs, though we've only lost 2 games.

Some of it has to be 4th down play calls. I saw Coach Heupel say the calls weren't right in the Bama game and that's an understatement.

I'm not a big fan of analytics but if you're going for 4th and 1 at the 50, you'd better have a play that gives you a very high chance of picking it up or you need to punt.

Just like players need to be mentally prepared to make good decisions under pressure, so does our coaching staff.

I promise you, the fans that are mad are way more emotional about the loss than the players. Many of them seem to not have a care in the world. It’s all fun and games on the sideline as they are getting their butts kicked on the field. If they cared they’d do something about it. This team is still infected with a losers mentality. They can’t win the tough games consistently. They crack under pressure. Yesterday was a great example of this teams loser mindset and absolutely pathetic to watch.
Go away

There definitely was soom bad calls. ! just don't believe we need to talk so bad about the refs so much that they start seeing only what is bad for us. We were saying how terrible it was going to be before we even played the game! Just a thought!

If you watched that game and thought the refs wasn’t going to do anything it took to make sure bama didn’t lose you are blind
If what you're saying is true, we should've been behind the 8-ball from the moment of kickoff. I remember going into halftime up almost 2 touchdowns. While the officiating was sub-standard, no doubt, we have only ourselves to blame. The refs didn't take bad angles; the refs didb't miss tackles; they didn't whiff on a block resulting in a fumble/7 points.

Eh...I think with a better qb, we'd be undefeated. I don't buy that we're so terribly far behind Alabama.

That is probably one of the worst Bama teams in the last 15 years. Same for Florida this year. Even measuring our roster this season vs that of a down Bama team, we still arent there.

That is probably one of the worst Bama teams in the last 15 years. Same for Florida this year. Even measuring our roster this season vs that of a down Bama team, we still arent there.
Alabama is about to go 11-1/8-0 in the SEC with their only loss to a loaded Texas team. They are absolutely loaded and have the best coach in college football history. The 13 point lead we had in the 1st half was their largest first half home deficit since 2019. It definitely sucks to lose that lead and the game. The bigger mystery isn't that Alabama won the game, it's that we were able to be leading 20-7 with terribly one-sided officiating, and a roster still feeling the effects of NCAA sanctions.

Urban Meyer went 9-4 in year 3 at Florida after a spectacular year 2, with no where close to the obstacles Heupel is facing.

We are two or three years ahead of schedule right now and while this loss stings, the program is in a great spot and Heupel still looks like a miracle worker.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231022_144158_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231022_144158_Chrome.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1
Wish he had punted on that 2nd 4th down.
I would have preferred punting it too, but what really went wrong there was running a play right to where they were having a lot of success. Had that been an option to the outside that play would have made a lot more sense because that had proven successful because of Joe's physical ability and bama's aggressiveness it's adaptive to the defense. It's hardly the end all be all play but it would have been the better call for the situation.

VN Store

Back