Those calling for an upset in Orgeon

We're gonna lose. By a lot of points. And it won't be the only game like that this year.

Hang your hats on recruiting victories, folks. It's all we have to look forward to for a few years.

Recruiting victories equate to actual victories. Maybe you aren't aware of some of the talent we've added.

We're gonna lose. By a lot of points. And it won't be the only game like that this year.

Hang your hats on recruiting victories, folks. It's all we have to look forward to for a few years.

I don't buy it. I just don't think the talent level in Knoxville has dropped as far as recent win/loss records show. A competent coaching staff has plenty to work with. Are we as good as Florida? No. But we aren't Kentucky either.

Reactions: 1 person
I really can't see how anyone rationalizes an upset against Oregon next year. Aside from Bama, they stand to be our toughest competition next year. They arguably should have been in the national championship against Bama last year, and who knows how that could've turned out. We're coming off of 3 losing seasons and lost the majority of our offensive production.

I definitely can't wait to see how we stack up against these guys now that we have Butch at the helm, and I expect our guys to compete; but I think we have a 10-15% chance of winning this one. Autzen stadium is said to be one of, if not the loudest stadiums out there.

10-15% chance?!?!

Try 3

Autzen Stadium

Thanks. I am so gunshy right now that the game is only the catylist to go. We are looking at nice places to play golf and for the best food trucks in Portland :)

GBO... I'll be the one wearing orange. :hi: Hopefully there will be enough other Big Orange fans there that it will look like the NBC peacock threw up in the stands..

I disagree. This is not a Dooley coached team. Butch's teams come. to. play. in the second half. That's backed up.

Still won't be a win, though.

I didn't say they would lay down and play dead like Dooley's teams, talent will just take over in the second half, that's all.

I didn't say they would lay down and play dead like Dooley's teams, talent will just take over in the second half, that's all.

"All hell will break loose" seems like a pretty large beatdown.

Not trying to be a jack@ss here.

Both run up tempo offenses. Both run plain vanilla 4-3 defenses using a lot of zone to contain the big plays. Jones has successfully been a head coach at two different ascending programs. Helfrich was promoted up from OC to head coach of the Ducks. Oregon runs the same system it has for a number of years. For UT it is a new system, but a type of system that was run partially at UT previously with Chaney as well as many high schools around the country (less sophisticated versions).

Finally, per Rivals the talent on both rosters is exactly even. From 2010-2013 UT ranked #'s 9, 13, 17, 21. Oregon ranked #'s 13, 9, 16, 22. Could not be more alike in talent with any other team in the country if you believe their rankings. The wild card is redshirt seniors. UT ranked #10 in 2009, while Oregon ranked #32. Of these RS seniors there are 4 that will start or otherwise play a lot of snaps in Moore, Walls, Couch and Hood along with a couple guys that could help in Oliver and King. On offense two guys will contribute a lot in Bullard and LS Carr. Oregon shows no RS seniors and only 3 RS juniors on their roster. So it appears the roster experience edge goes to UT.

Playing at home is big for Oregon. But there is nothing to suggest UT will not be able to hold their own. Definitely not going to predict a win at this point since there are too many unknowns, but they sure could make it interesting.

I think no chance but this post made me go hmm...:good!:

Based on this maybe no excuses for the fans to say he needs more time n talent.....

I hope you're right but if our D plays at all like they did last year, Oregon will beat us by 50

I truly dont see our D playing that poor again. We have quite a bit of talent. Last year, our D played hard the first part of the season, but after some hard fought, demoralising losses. UF, UGA, SC, the spirits and the confidence started to fade.
Now we have a coach that want let that happen, not to mention there going to be better prepared physically and mentally. It may take a few years before we see the W L record show it because of the conference we play in, but I think we will see a huge difference in the quality of play next year.

That settles it then. We need to buy out this game and tuck our tails and run from the mighty ducks. Schedule a pansy in Oregons place. Bunch of spineless pu$$ies up in here ,wanting to run from a good fight. Shameless fanbase. Shameless

"All hell will break loose" seems like a pretty large beatdown.

Not trying to be a jack@ss here.

Didn't think you were - you've never been one. I just think their speed will take over. When that happens and the D gets tired, and their at home, then points will pile up in bunches. We don't have the defensive depth to chase those guys all night. Their recruiting classes might not be that highly ranked year in year out, but they get guys that fit that system and they've been successful with it. If it was 2014, I might give us a punchers chance. But this is the second game of the year, on the road, with a new starting QB and unproven guys everywhere? Gonna get ugly imo.

31-23 Vols

UT will throw for 273 yards.

UT will rush for 184 yards.

Defense forces 3 turnovers.

Defense has 5 sacks.

Palardy does not miss a kick.

Oregon drops 12 spots in the polls following the game.

:loco:

I was buying in until I got to the Palardy line.

Didn't think you were - you've never been one. I just think their speed will take over. When that happens and the D gets tired, and their at home, then points will pile up in bunches. We don't have the defensive depth to chase those guys all night. Their recruiting classes might not be that highly ranked year in year out, but they get guys that fit that system and they've been successful with it. If it was 2014, I might give us a punchers chance. But this is the second game of the year, on the road, with a new starting QB and unproven guys everywhere? Gonna get ugly imo.

Fair enough. I think we'll be ready for the pace. I think we COULD contain Mamba, but we won't stop Mariota.

Forgot about Thomas Tyner. That's an immediate impact at RB, too.

There's always a chance. That's why you play the game. Games aren't played on paper. I didn't read every post, but I'm sure each of these statements has already been made. They are all true, but I'm calling for the upset simply because I'm a Vol. Should we be favored? Absolutely not, but the thought of picking another team to beat my Vols makes me sick. I can't do it. I never will. I don't care about being rational where the Orange is concerned. If you don't think we can win, why watch?

I think most rational fans know Oregon's skill players are going to run like gazelles on an open prairie against our D.

I hate the fact you might be right. Until a few hours ago, I was confident we were going to leave their stadium as either winners or holding them to a closely fought game. Recently, I did some reading on the team. Especially about their 6'4'' dual threat QB's season. He can throw for major yardage and TDs and run like a whirlwind. Give him the slightest excuse to run and an inch and he'll take a lightyear. I see our defense being tested to contain this guy all game long. And that doesn't even take into account that racehorse running back of theirs. But I'm prepared to be happily surprised because i still believe CBJ will put a prepared and competitive team on the field.

Last edited:
Two games that I don't see the Vols possibly winninng are Oregon and Bama. Enough said! Anything can happen and it's been done, but these two teams are really strong.

If UT's defense holds Oregon and Bama to under 21, I'll be surprised.

Guys, I've just been thinkin :question: ...................... gonna be duck feathers flyin everwhere next fall :machgun: :gun::loco: :rock: :crazy:

VN Store

Back