Those calling for an upset in Orgeon

Obviously there's a chance. There's people on this board talking like we have a better chance of beating them than we do South Carolina or UGA, teams actually almost beat last year. Oregon can and perhaps will score 50+ on a decent UT defense, let alone last year's..

I am one of those people.
I think of all the games on our schedule this is our best chance of a upset.
heres why.

1. the last time they played us they beat us soundly so they will overlook us this year.
2. they have a brand new coach and OC.
3. As good as they appear, they play in the pac 12 against mediocre defenses so they look much better than they really are. The only real defense they played last year was standford and they didn't do so well in that game.
4. our defense will be much better than it showed last year because we had 4-3 personnel that where poorly coached trying to play in a brand new 3-4 system.
5. I think our talent is equal to theirs.
6. I think our players are going to be extremely motivated to make a statement.
7. As good as they seem they are not Alabama by a country mile.
8. We have one of the absolute best offensive lines in the country and we will run the ball on them with success.

so I give us a 50-50 shot at worst, to beat them, and i'll be betting the house against the spread on this game because they will be heavily favored but it will be a close ball game IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I really can't see how anyone rationalizes an upset against Oregon next year. Aside from Bama, they stand to be our toughest competition next year. They arguably should have been in the national championship against Bama last year, and who knows how that could've turned out. We're coming off of 3 losing seasons and lost the majority of our offensive production.

I definitely can't wait to see how we stack up against these guys now that we have Butch at the helm, and I expect our guys to compete; but I think we have a 10-15% chance of winning this one. Autzen stadium is said to be one of, if not the loudest stadiums out there.

If we do win, how can anyone rationalize it NOT to be an upset? For all the reasons you listed, it will be an upset.

Personally, the Oregon Ducks do not impress me. Get on Google Maps and look at Autzen Stadium, then look at Neyland. Comparing the 2, Neyland looks like a big rollercoaster sitting next to the kiddy car rides. If Oregon's stadium is louder than our stadium, does that make sense?

Granted, what the Vols showed at the O&W game has to be a large step up to compete with the recent past Oregon teams. However, if you closely examine the potential of the guys we got, we can stack up nicely. All they have to do is realize their own potential.

I am one of those people.
I think of all the games on our schedule this is our best chance of a upset.
heres why.

1. the last time they played us they beat us soundly so they will overlook us this year.
2. they have a brand new coach and OC.
3. As good as they appear, they play in the pac 12 against mediocre defenses so they look much better than they really are. The only real defense they played last year was standford and they didn't do so well in that game.
4. our defense will be much better than it showed last year because we had 4-3 personnel that where poorly coached trying to play in a brand new 3-4 system.
5. I think our talent is equal to theirs.
6. I think our players are going to be extremely motivated to make a statement.
7. As good as they seem they are not Alabama by a country mile.
8. We have one of the absolute best offensive lines in the country and we will run the ball on them with success.

so I give us a 50-50 shot at worst, to beat them, and i'll be betting the house against the spread on this game because they will be heavily favored but it will be a close ball game IMO.
they arent going to overlook an SEC team coming into their house. them not being as good as Bama is completely irrelevant. #8 is our absolute hope for success. keep their offense off the field and wear down their D so we can put points on the board in the 2nd half.

Oh yeah your right...let's just lay down and cry. We shouldn't even show up. In fact, lets just email that duck and tell him "you win, sincerely Tennessee." JEEEESUS. I say they don't know what a volunteer can do. I say they are a bunch of spoiled rotten pansy quack, quack biotches. I say we bring ole' smokey out for a duck hunt.

they arent going to overlook an SEC team coming into their house. them not being as good as Bama is completely irrelevant. #8 is our absolute hope for success. keep their offense off the field and wear down their D so we can put points on the board in the 2nd half.

actually my reference to Ala. is because so many think that we have no chance against oregon and Ala. So i wanted to point out that Oregon is no where close to being as good as Ala.

I really can't see how anyone rationalizes an upset against Oregon next year. Aside from Bama, they stand to be our toughest competition next year. They arguably should have been in the national championship against Bama last year, and who knows how that could've turned out. We're coming off of 3 losing seasons and lost the majority of our offensive production.

I definitely can't wait to see how we stack up against these guys now that we have Butch at the helm, and I expect our guys to compete; but I think we have a 10-15% chance of winning this one. Autzen stadium is said to be one of, if not the loudest stadiums out there.
Well, in all fairness, they will have to face 3 WR's that are 6'4"+...at the same time (in many sets)...and another (Cody Blanc) who is a measly 6'3". That's an overwhelming amount of size at WR, and one reason why I felt DaRick Rogers keeping his nose cleaning and playing for us last year, would have been just too much size and talent for most teams to handle.

This group may not have proven anything yet, but if they can turn it on when the season starts, it might be the most dangerous WR group they will face all season long. We have never, ever fielded this much size and speed at WR, in our history. That's an important nugget which shouldn't be overlooked.

They will also have to face an OL with 4 guys who will be in the NFL next year. Probably will be the best OL they will see all season long.

They also don't have a giant playing DT like we do (McCullers). The reason I think he will really come on strong this year is because in a 4-3 alignment he is asked to penetrate and create havoc up the middle. Whereas, in a 3-4 he is asked to just take up space (clog running lanes). I also think Corey Miller and J. Smith will have a big year as true DE's.

I think Randolph and McNeil will provide a formidable Safety tandem and bringing Brewer from SS to OLB, paired with AJ and Maggit...should be a good group of LB.

The only question marks I can see is at CB, TE, and QB. I think either Peterman or Worley can do well in this offense. I think most teams are caught off guard by Oregon's pace, and speed. We now utilize a fast-paced tempo, too...and thus our defense will have been practicing/scrimmaging at that pace = ready for it.

As for team speed...against a good SEC defense, I don't think that will be a big of a factor. Why? Because the one thing that distinguishes SEC teams is speed. That's why you saw LSU and Auburn neutralize their offense and make them look more average.

If we can compete with Florida, Bama, and UGA...we can compete with Oregon.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that Oregon is under investigation and in fact have admitted that they had major NCAA violations. Reports: NCAA, Oregon Ducks agree 'major' violations committed by football program - ESPN

This could affect their upcoming season. I think if the Vols have the oppurtunity to get up on them by half. We could make them hang their heads. Not saying this WILL affect them. But it could affect them in our favor.

31-23 Vols

UT will throw for 273 yards.

UT will rush for 184 yards.

Defense forces 3 turnovers.

Defense has 5 sacks.

Palardy does not miss a kick.

Oregon drops 12 spots in the polls following the game.

:loco:

What will we be ranked?

Been too long since we were ranked heading into the swamp.

We don't have a Mariota, a Black Mamba, or a Colt Lyerla type player. That's going to be a tough trio to stop for this team.

Hey, I'd completely forgotten about Lyerla. I remember everyone talking about him being the next Urlacher (either LB or possibly DE) coming out of HS but I see that he's been playing TE in college.

It sure would have been fun to go against their big skill players with our guys from last year but I still think the game is going to be tighter than expected if we can avoid turnovers. I figure the spread will be in the 20 point range...

"They don't respect ya! Make them remember you as long as they live, the way you hit and the way you knock them down field and the way you hustle. Attack! Attack! Attack! always Attack!

-Johnny Majors

He said this shortly before the Vols beat another team that the football world gave them no chance of defeating. Tennessee 35 - Miami 7

If we do win, how can anyone rationalize it NOT to be an upset? For all the reasons you listed, it will be an upset.

Personally, the Oregon Ducks do not impress me. Get on Google Maps and look at Autzen Stadium, then look at Neyland. Comparing the 2, Neyland looks like a big rollercoaster sitting next to the kiddy car rides. If Oregon's stadium is louder than our stadium, does that make sense?

Granted, what the Vols showed at the O&W game has to be a large step up to compete with the recent past Oregon teams. However, if you closely examine the potential of the guys we got, we can stack up nicely. All they have to do is realize their own potential.

The seating arrangement and acoustics of Autzen stadium make it louder than larger stadiums, or so the rumor says. I'm just going off of what players and coaches have been quoted as saying over the years. Specifically that it's much louder than the Big House (Michigan).

The most talented team does not always win. As others have mentioned, Oregon does have some questions coming in with their coaching changes and NCAA investigation. People talk about gow in SEC games the victory is determined on the lines. Oregon plays more of a speed and finess style and so perhaps our big guys up frint are enough to disrupt their gameplan.

I'm not calling for the upset, but I don't think its as if were making a case where Ga State beats Alabubba. Tennessee definitely will have a chance.

I'm calling for upsets in Oregon,Alabubba,and Floriduh! Go to Hades,doubters and Negavols and trolls! GO BIG ORANGE! WE WEAR NEW UNIS AND BEAT OREGON BY POUNDING THE BALL AND PLAY-ACTION! VOL FB IS BACK! THE SPREAD IS a SMOKEscreen! GO VOLS

===================================
The loudness of Autzen Stadium isn't size related. It comes from design. That plus the closeness of the seating to the field. It gets so loud that it makes bigger stadium crowds sound like they're whispering in comparison.
======================================

Agreed!

Interesting and fun comments, folks. If anybody sees 99 - tell him he needs to lay out his case with some actual reasoning and facts to support his position. Otherwise it is just trolling - as usual. Hanging your hat on Dools' history and blaming the players ain't it. Just like depending on history when CUM was HC to justify the continued UF arrogance that should have hit the skids when Tebow left as well as in the Sugar Bowl in January.

As to the Oregon fast tempo. Usually, upper classmen can adjust better during a game and at half time since they have more experience. Oregon is younger, and potentially quicker on offense versus our D. If our D can play conservative, bend don't break, in the first half and keep it close, our chances improve. It's not like they don't see the zone read every day in practice and with half the games they played last season. Oregon uses spacing to create angles and depends on quickness. They may get a lot of yards between the 20's. But in the red zone it gets tighter. If the front four can get pressure consistently and the LB's tackle well - who knows what will happen. Anybody scared of an Oregon D is being silly. With our O-line and a reasonable passing game we will score some points.

ok, dude. here you go.

first let me just generally say that we need to stop pretending here that my opinion is not generally considered the majority opinion. let's get real here, there have already been some preseason "experts" who have tennessee ranked 5th or 6th in the sec east. oregon may be preseason 5th or 6th in the entire country. if anyone were to suggest vanderbilt, missouri, mississippi or mississippi state were going to play at oregon and keep it close, you'd laugh at them.

but, having said all that, here are some reasons.

1. i've seen references to butch jones wanting to play up tempo and running an up tempo system. so, you are going to play the best fast break offense in the country, on the road, at the pace they want to play at? bueller? bueller? bueller? good luck with that.

2. a lot of people want to pretend that the last few years mean nothing. dooley was a horrible coach, so everything you have seen is irrelevant. that a new coach, in this case butch jones, is just going to wave a magic wand and players who have never done a damn thing will all of a sudden play at a high level. sorry, it doesn't work that way and believing there are not serious roster issues is a mistake.

2a. to that end, tennessee (especially defensively) has a serious problem with speed. last time we saw that defense, they made jordan matthews look like percy harvin. that's not a problem against oregon except they play football like a track team. watch chris rainey's td in 2011 and see how a busted coverage two yards downfield turns into an 83 yard touchdown with a player running in a straight line down the middle of the field. i know, players didn't know where to line up or were confused because sunseri was the defensive coordinator and that's why the coverage was busted. oh, wait a minute, he wasn't the defensive coordinator in 2011.

2b. who's the quarterback? even if the staff finds a magic wand for that defense, oregon is going to score. tennessee will have to put up 30 or more (minimum) and they are going to have to do it with possibly a true freshman at qb. not that something like that should cause a concern.

3. other than the offensive line, there isn't any proven talent anywhere. that's not to say there isn't talent, but again, whatever will be on the field has not proven they play the game at a high level. please don't name any defensive player. so, you want me to have faith that a team that has shown nothing in several years is going to go on the road, against a highly ranked opponent, and hang with nothing to point to other than tennessee practices against the zone read now and rivals had our recruits highly ranked back in the day? ok.

4. the offensive line is going to have a harder time this season because hunter and patterson are gone. the threat of getting burned meant tennessee didn't see a lot of blitzing, opponents were not going to gang up on the run, etc, etc, etc. that's gone now. unless the new qb and new wr's can make teams pay, teams will play tennessee different defensively. the new qb will be challenged to beat defenses. and again, we don't even know who that qb is.

i could list some other reasons, but i'll stop there. basically, oregon has an advantage damn near everywhere on the field and they are at home.

with all due respect, tennessee has a much better chance of beating florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
He said this shortly before the Vols beat another team that the football world gave them no chance of defeating. Tennessee 35 - Miami 7

slight difference. tha tennessee team lost one game that season.

this tennessee team will probably not have anyone who has ever started in a bowl game.

ok, dude. here you go.

first let me just generally say that we need to stop pretending here that my opinion is not generally considered the majority opinion. let's get real here, there have already been some preseason "experts" who have tennessee ranked 5th or 6th in the sec east. oregon may be preseason 5th or 6th in the entire country. if anyone were to suggest vanderbilt, missouri, mississippi or mississippi state were going to play at oregon and keep it close, you'd laugh at them.

but, having said all that, here are some reasons.

1. i've seen references to butch jones wanting to play up tempo and running an up tempo system. so, you are going to play the best fast break offense in the country, on the road, at the pace they want to play at? bueller? bueller? bueller? good luck with that.

2. a lot of people want to pretend that the last few years mean nothing. dooley was a horrible coach, so everything you have seen is irrelevant. that a new coach, in this case butch jones, is just going to wave a magic wand and players who have never done a damn thing will all of a sudden play at a high level. sorry, it doesn't work that way and believing there are not serious roster issues is a mistake.

2a. to that end, tennessee (especially defensively) has a serious problem with speed. last time we saw that defense, they made jordan matthews look like percy harvin. that's not a problem against oregon except they play football like a track team. watch chris rainey's td in 2011 and see how a busted coverage two yards downfield turns into an 83 yard touchdown with a player running in a straight line down the middle of the field. i know, players didn't know where to line up or were confused because sunseri was the defensive coordinator and that's why the coverage was busted. oh, wait a minute, he wasn't the defensive coordinator in 2011.

2b. who's the quarterback? even if the staff finds a magic wand for that defense, oregon is going to score. tennessee will have to put up 30 or more (minimum) and they are going to have to do it with possibly a true freshman at qb. not that something like that should cause a concern.

3. other than the offensive line, there isn't any proven talent anywhere. that's not to say there isn't talent, but again, whatever will be on the field has not proven they play the game at a high level. please don't name any defensive player. so, you want me to have faith that a team that has shown nothing in several years is going to go on the road, against a highly ranked opponent, and hang with nothing to point to other than tennessee practices against the zone read now and rivals had our recruits highly ranked back in the day? ok.

4. the offensive line is going to have a harder time this season because hunter and patterson are gone. the threat of getting burned meant tennessee didn't see a lot of blitzing, opponents were not going to gang up on the run, etc, etc, etc. that's gone now. unless the new qb and new wr's can make teams pay, teams will play tennessee different defensively. the new qb will be challenged to beat defenses. and again, we don't even know who that qb is.

i could list some other reasons, but i'll stop there. basically, oregon has an advantage damn near everywhere on the field and they are at home.

with all due respect, tennessee has a much better chance of beating florida.

Sad that 99 knows our team better than most posters on VN. Absolute truth in this post ^^^^^^.

VN Store

Back