Those calling for an upset in Orgeon

Those big WRs you're referring to at UT have 0 catches in their UT careers so far........0.

I'd just prefer they don't start getting all that "experience" with completions against my Ducks.

I'm a bit concerned about the Duck pass rush as well, given the Dion Jordan is headed to the NFL. We're pretty inexperienced in that area. And of course Aliotti (DC) has always thrown everything at stopping the run first and forced people to beat the Ducks in the air.

You're assuming our QB can put the ball where only the receiver can catch it, in which case the receiver could win the battle with his size. I was thoroughly unimpressed with our QB's in the spring game and right now that's all we have to go on (and Worley's play in '11-'12). Hopefully someone steps up..

Does anyone know the game time for the Tenn vs Oregon game? That can have a bit of an impact on the passing game. Primarily because of the sun and shadows. Note: Unlike most football stadiums, in Autzen the field runs East West rather than North South. Net result is depending on time of day the sun can be in the defender/receiver's eyes. Plus in later afternoon shadows from the roof tend to extend out onto the field for 10-20 yards. This makes it difficult to run pass patterns into the shaded areas as the QB is throwing from the sun to the shade.

I am one of those people.
I think of all the games on our schedule this is our best chance of a upset.
heres why.

1. the last time they played us they beat us soundly so they will overlook us this year.
2. they have a brand new coach and OC.
3. As good as they appear, they play in the pac 12 against mediocre defenses so they look much better than they really are. The only real defense they played last year was standford and they didn't do so well in that game.
4. our defense will be much better than it showed last year because we had 4-3 personnel that where poorly coached trying to play in a brand new 3-4 system.
5. I think our talent is equal to theirs.
6. I think our players are going to be extremely motivated to make a statement.
7. As good as they seem they are not Alabama by a country mile.
8. We have one of the absolute best offensive lines in the country and we will run the ball on them with success.

so I give us a 50-50 shot at worst, to beat them, and i'll be betting the house against the spread on this game because they will be heavily favored but it will be a close ball game IMO.

You have to be kidding! My brother-in-law is an Oregon grad living in Oregon and they are looking at this like they do a bowl game. No way they overlook any SEC team. Especially after what Auburn did to them in the NC game. There might be other factors that might be to UT's advantage. But Eugene's gonna be rocking and the Ducks are gonna be out for blood on Sept. 14th. Butch better have 'em ready for a slobber-knocker!

Reactions: 1 person
You have to be kidding! My brother-in-law is an Oregon grad living in Oregon and they are looking at this like they do a bowl game. No way they overlook any SEC team. Especially after what Auburn did to them in the NC game. There might be other factors that might be to UT's advantage. But Eugene's gonna be rocking and the Ducks are gonna be out for blood on Sept. 14th. Butch better have 'em ready for a slobber-knocker!

And don't forget what LSU did to them in '11. They will be looking for blood against an SEC team...it just happens to be UT.

LOL, yea, I wasn't going to say anything because I'd just look like some juvenile homer. But yea, the Ducks will have their ears pinned back looking to put a hit on people. This isn't going to be a polite tea party on the patio with crumpets.

Beyond the hope that we win the game, I have one other hope. Win, lose, or draw, I hope our fans show the class of the Oregon fans when they came to Knoxville and those who participated on VN. Hopefully, the few obnoxious Vols fans who showed up on the Wyoming site don't repeat such arrogance with Oregon. On my part, I found the Duck fans to be really classy. How can you not love fans who have posters and shirts saying they hate Lane Kiffin too? Who acted with grace before the game and after the game which they won by blowout? So I just hope our fans prove to be just as graceful.

Reactions: 3 people
LOL, yea, I wasn't going to say anything because I'd just look like some juvenile homer. But yea, the Ducks will have their ears pinned back looking to put a hit on people. This isn't going to be a polite tea party on the patio with crumpets.

well you guys might be right and they will take us seriously, I just wonder after all their recent success and they have been a top program, if they wont overlook a team that hasn't been to a bowl game in several years. I mean the rest of the country certainly thinks we will be a sure win for them so why wouldn't they ?

Beyond the hope that we win the game, I have one other hope. Win, lose, or draw, I hope our fans show the class of the Oregon fans when they came to Knoxville and those who participated on VN. Hopefully, the few obnoxious Vols fans who showed up on the Wyoming site don't repeat such arrogance with Oregon. On my part, I found the Duck fans to be really classy. How can you not love fans who have posters and shirts saying they hate Lane Kiffin too? Who acted with grace before the game and after the game which they won by blowout? So I just hope our fans prove to be just as graceful.

I agree their fans have loads of class.

I guess you missed my post butchna :)

No...belated thanks..this got a lot of comments...if she knew(and she never will)...she'd appreciate your support
Posted via VolNation Mobile

well you guys might be right and they will take us seriously, I just wonder after all their recent success and they have been a top program, if they wont overlook a team that hasn't been to a bowl game in several years. I mean the rest of the country certainly thinks we will be a sure win for them so why wouldn't they ?

Lots of reasons. One, we hear a lot about how the SEC is the ONLY football conference in the country and everyone else is just a bunch of weak sorry conferences. The Pathetic-12 Conference, the Big Slow Conference etc. You guys whether you want it or not have a target on your backs. Two, you guys will be looking for revenge after the game in Knoxville. Three, when you're ranked in the top 10 EVERYONE brings there best game. Four, Oregon lives by "Win The Day".

I could probably go on, but lets just say if you guys beat us, it won't be because we took you lightly, you'll earn it.

I really can't see how anyone rationalizes an upset against Oregon next year. Aside from Bama, they stand to be our toughest competition next year. They arguably should have been in the national championship against Bama last year, and who knows how that could've turned out. We're coming off of 3 losing seasons and lost the majority of our offensive production.

I definitely can't wait to see how we stack up against these guys now that we have Butch at the helm, and I expect our guys to compete; but I think we have a 10-15% chance of winning this one. Autzen stadium is said to be one of, if not the loudest stadiums out there.
NEW COACH!!!! That's the only thing giving us a chance of about 30%.. idk tho. Maybe Butch Jones GETS IT!!!

I'm guessing it's because Tennessee had a good football team in 1985

Yeah they had a decent team. You mentioned earlier that they only lost 1 game, you failed to mention the 2 ties they had to teams they should have beaten. They had a 16 point lead on UCLA they ended up tying and tied Georgia Tech in a game they only score 2 field goals. Yes they were a good team but Miami has suppose to be many times better, yet the Vols kicked their butts. So will the Vols upset Oregon? Probably not.
Can they upset Oregon? Yes they can and anyone that says it`s not possible is out of their mind. Period!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back