Those calling for an upset in Orgeon

Please tell me what in this schedule gives the impression that your schedule and your conference is even close to the SEC. There is no comparison at all to UT schedule. If you had to play UT's schedule you wouldn't make a bowl game. YOU PLAY IN A CANDY ASS CONFERENCE PERIOD!!!:spank:

Sat, Aug 31 Nicholls State Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Sep 07 Virginia Charlottesville, Va.
Sat, Sep 14 Tennessee Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Sep 28 California * Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Oct 05 Colorado * Boulder, Colo.
Sat, Oct 12 Washington * Seattle, Wash.
Sat, Oct 19 Washington State * Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Oct 26 UCLA * Eugene, Ore.
Thu, Nov 07 Stanford * Stanford, Calif.
Sat, Nov 16 Utah * Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Nov 23 Arizona * Tucson, Ariz.
Fri, Nov 29 Oregon State * Eugene, Ore.

Question, which of the following would you rather have and why?

1. Quality non-conf wins: Mich x2, ND, Pitt, Oklahoma, NC State x2
2. Quality non-conf wins: K State, Mich, Cuse, BYU x2, Wisc x2, Navy, Nebraska, Oklahoma St

My point is not to start an argument, but to point out that some people outside of the SEC are beginning to suspect that the SEC is living off reputation rather than actually dominating quality non-conference opponents. I'm not saying the SEC isn't a great conference, it is.........

2. Quality non-conf wins: K State, Mich, Cuse, BYU x2, Wisc x2, Navy, Nebraska, Oklahoma St

My point is not to start an argument, but to point out that some people outside of the SEC are beginning to suspect that the SEC is living off reputation rather than actually dominating quality non-conference opponents. I'm not saying the SEC isn't a great conference, it is.........

just a couple of things....

with regard to #1.....florida state needs to be added to that list.

with regard to #2.....no sec team is on that list. a few of those teams i would not consider to be quality non conference opponents.

if navy can make this list, than i am throwing in bowling green, ucf, east carolina, and the like.

don't misunderstand me here, i have a great deal of respect for the pac 10 and would rate it last year as the 2nd best conference in the country and it wasn't close.

i know people are tired of east coast bias and southern arrogance when it comes to getting respect. i respect the pac 10.

but, winning some of those games isn't the basis of respect that i have for the pac 10.

Last edited:
No crying here. The guy made a comparison to the '85 Vols. Which team would you rather go into Oregon with, the '85 team that played against Miami or this year's squad?

Is it May 1984? In May 1984, I would have picked any other team over the '85 Vols to go to Auburn and Bo Jackson for our 2nd game of the year.

No one can predict how good or bad the season will go next year, that is the point.

Look, part of being a fan is to be realistic. We have little depth on defense! So, when at half time, when we are finally able to figure their offense out, our defensive players will be too tired to execute. When they are tired, you will see missed tackles, etc.

On the offensive side of the ball, we have a new and relatively inexperienced q.b. All new receiving corps, consisting of a new tight end, who may have caught 5 total catches his entire college career. Then we have three other receivers who were on the roster last season but saw very little playing time. Then we have one or two EE freshmen receivers who have been on campus since January. Finally, we have another receiver who won't be on campus until July.

Then we have no real star tailback. Yes, Lane and Neal are serviceable, but they can't pick up the slack of an inexperienced q.b. and an inexperienced receiving corps.

No depth at defense + no experience on offense + an away game = a loss!!!!!!!!!!
Great post!Glad somebody gets it!Gotta wonder how long some of our fans have been watching football!

just a couple of things....

with regard to #1.....florida state needs to be added to that list.

with regard to #2.....no sec team is on that list. a few of those teams i would not consider to be quality non conference opponents.

if navy can make this list, than i am throwing in bowling green, ucf, east carolina, and the like.

don't misunderstand me here, i have a great deal of respect for the pac 10 and would rate it last year as the 2nd best conference in the country and it wasn't close.

i know people are tired of east coast bias and southern arrogance when it comes to getting respect. i respect the pac 10.

but, winning some of those games isn't the basis of respect that i have for the pac 10.

I'm cool with that, I shouldn't have even responded to that post. I usually just ignore posts aimed at inflaming arguments. I just went through the 2012 schedules for the SEC and PAC-12 looking for the best quality non-conf wins and came up with those two lists. #1 being the SEC and #2 being the PAC-12.

Sorry I missed FSU, you're right they should be on there.

Yea I could easily take Navy off the list. The only reason it got on was because it was a bowl game. UCF and E Carol just don't make it in my opinion.

I considered not putting BYU, Cuse, Pitt and NC State on as well, but they were either bowl games or had winning records for the year.

Last edited:
Is it May 1984? In May 1984, I would have picked any other team over the '85 Vols to go to Auburn and Bo Jackson for our 2nd game of the year.

No one can predict how good or bad the season will go next year, that is the point.

I tend to agree, otherwise don't bother playing the games, right?

Also, who is the lady in your avi?

[/B]
I'm cool with that, I shouldn't have even responded to that post. I usually just ignore posts aimed at inflaming arguments. I just went through the 2012 schedules for the SEC and PAC-12 looking for the best quality non-conf wins and came up with those two lists. #1 being the SEC and #2 being the PAC-12.

Sorry I missed FSU, you're right they should be on there.

Yea I could easily take Navy off the list. The only reason it got on was because it was a bowl game. UCF and E Carol just don't make it in my opinion.

I considered not putting BYU, Cuse, Pitt and NC State on as well, but they were either bowl games or had winning records for the year.

just to explain my thoughts, i have respect for the pac 12 for a couple of reasons.

1. i respect the a lot of the coaching out there.

2. i know most of the talent on the teams in that league come from california and i know california produces football players. heck, california produces everything.

i have said on this board and others for a few years now, that two sleeping giants in football were ucla and texas a&m.

too much talent in texas and california for those schools not to be better. texas a&m looks like it's on its way and ucla had a nice season.

but, i don't care what usc is doing, ucla should have a ranked football team.

but, the pac 12 is a very good league and as of right now, washington, usc, arizona and arizona state aren't what they could be. so, that league has the potential to be a dominant league year in and year out.

So does winning the last 7 Nat'l Championships with 4 different schools count for anything? Seems like they would be playing quality opponents right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
So does winning the last 7 Nat'l Championships with 5 different schools count for anything? Seems like they would be playing quality opponents right?

They did one year...when LSU and bama played for it.

Edit:Sorry duck...It was tee'd up too good.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm afraid that if Butch Jones goes to Oregon and goes with the hurry up offense and doesn't run clock to keep the Ducks off the field, Oregon could set some offensive records against the Vols.

The Oregon offense is predicated on getting their skilled position players in the open field in one on one match ups. With UT's lack of speed in the defensive backfield, this could spell disaster. UT needs to limit Oregon's possessions or it could get ugly.

Please tell me what in this schedule gives the impression that your schedule and your conference is even close to the SEC. There is no comparison at all to UT schedule. If you had to play UT's schedule you wouldn't make a bowl game. YOU PLAY IN A CANDY ASS CONFERENCE PERIOD!!!:spank:

Sat, Aug 31 Nicholls State Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Sep 07 Virginia Charlottesville, Va.
Sat, Sep 14 Tennessee Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Sep 28 California * Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Oct 05 Colorado * Boulder, Colo.
Sat, Oct 12 Washington * Seattle, Wash.
Sat, Oct 19 Washington State * Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Oct 26 UCLA * Eugene, Ore.
Thu, Nov 07 Stanford * Stanford, Calif.
Sat, Nov 16 Utah * Eugene, Ore.
Sat, Nov 23 Arizona * Tucson, Ariz.
Fri, Nov 29 Oregon State * Eugene, Ore.

If they played our schedule....They WOULD make a bowl game, but the Florida, Georgia, Alabama, S.Carolina, stretch would definatly be a 0-4, 1-3 at best run...so there would be no nation championship dreams come November.

If they played our schedule....They WOULD make a bowl game, but the Florida, Georgia, Alabama, S.Carolina, stretch would definatly be a 0-4, 1-3 at best run...so there would be no nation championship dreams come November.

Thats legitimate. I just dont believe the pac 12 has the guns the SEC does.

Two games that I don't see the Vols possibly winninng are Oregon and Bama. Enough said! Anything can happen and it's been done, but these two teams are really strong.

If UT's defense holds Oregon and Bama to under 21, I'll be surprised.

Oregon and Alabama are two very different beasts. Alabama can get out to a lead early and then just kill the game off with their punishing run game 5-8 yards at a time. Oregon on the other hand can break off play after play of 50, 60, 70 yards at a time thanks to their speed. Given that we're talking about almost the same defense that couldn't even slow down Troy, I'll be flabbergasted if TN holds Oregon under 50 points.

Oregon and Alabama are two very different beasts. Alabama can get out to a lead early and then just kill the game off with their punishing run game 5-8 yards at a time. Oregon on the other hand can break off play after play of 50, 60, 70 yards at a time thanks to their speed. Given that we're talking about almost the same defense that couldn't even slow down Troy, I'll be flabbergasted if TN holds Oregon under 50 points.

Troy was a pretty good team, sure they went 5-7, but they played 2 SEC teams in 2012. Also, all of their loses were 7 points or less.

They almost beat Miss. State in 2012 also.

Last edited:
Troy was a pretty good team, sure they went 5-7, but they played 2 SEC teams in 2012. Also, all of their loses were 7 points or less.

They almost beat Miss. State in 2012 also.

Good points Barbara. Keep defending that performance.

Seriously though, there should be no excuse for an SEC team letting them score 48 points. A close game would be one thing, but allowing that many points in awful. Our lack of defensive speed was on full display that afternoon as Troy just kept chucking the ball deep, and their WR's just kept running past our secondary.

Regardless of what the scoreboard says when it's over, I just want to see some things we haven't seen in a while:
1. UT defenders able to make a one-on-one open field tackle.
2. An OL that can actually create holes for the RB.
3. A UT team playing as well in the 3rd quarter as it did in the first.
4. Eleven players on the field, no more and no less, on every play of the game.

Regardless of what the scoreboard says when it's over, I just want to see some things we haven't seen in a while:

That's just crazy talk, right there. :crazy:

Butch don't teachino one-on-one tackling. He's a gangbanger. :dance:

VN Store

Back