TikTok is too influential

Social media is by far the worst thing introduced to the human race. You’ll never be able to convince me the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Someone mentioned in another post the Netflix documentary, The Social Dilemma. It's worth watching, informative, but not surprising. I agree with you, SM is the seedy side of technology.

Reactions: 508mikey
Doesn't give him the right to be a Class A *******. I know it's staged, but I guess that is where this country is now. Thanks Kardashians

The guy built a restaurant empire based on being an a-hole and demanding perfection in those same restaurants. I'd say he's little different than other a-holes that have built empires and didn't ask pretty please along the way.

He's a restaurateur first, an entertainer second. But he's also done a lot of good work for charity.

The guy built a restaurant empire based on being an a-hole and demanding perfection in those same restaurants. I'd say he's little different than other a-holes that have built empires and didn't ask pretty please along the way.

He's a restaurateur first, an entertainer second. But he's also done a lot of good work for charity.

Exactly. Not sure how this became the Gordon Ramsey thread, but he worked for everything he has and actually has a skill set that benefits mankind.

I'll take your word for it.

So... no beef Wellington on your menu?
I like good food unfortunately for my waistline. But I don't have to watch a douchebag act like he's something special by berating everyone around him while he makes it. Doesn't make his food bad.... I just don't enjoy watching him prepare it. Funny how that correlates so directly with someone else.

Reactions: 508mikey
Have you ever seen the British version(s) of his shows? It's amazing how different they are in style and tone from the American versions.

It is patently obvious they told him he needed to up the swearing, anger, insults, etc. to appeal to an American audience. The cuts are a lot quicker, the music louder and more dramatic. The American versions are much stupider shows. It kind of made me think what that says about us as people.

I like good food unfortunately for my waistline. But I don't have to watch a douchebag act like he's something special by berating everyone around him while he makes it. Doesn't make his food bad.... I just don't enjoy watching him prepare it. Funny how that correlates so directly with someone else.

You ever work in a kitchen?

He's Bob Ross compared to some of the Executive Chefs I've worked with.

Have you ever seen the British version(s) of his shows? It's amazing how different they are in style and tone from the American versions.

It is patently obvious they told him he needed to up the swearing, anger, insults, etc. to appeal to an American audience. The cuts are a lot quicker, the music louder and more dramatic. The American versions are much stupider shows. It kind of made me think what that says about us as people.
All true.

Yup. I genuinely enjoy Kitchen Nightmares UK. The US version is absolute garbage.

Let Francis Bourgeois into your life (I do via Instagram). You'll be happier. This is the purest adult man I have ever seen in my life:

He's a relic. Has no grasp on modern bar concepts. He's just an entertainer now.
I do find some of the “bar science” interesting. I’m curious to what kind of things you look at in the bar business these days compared to 10-15 years ago

I do find some of the “bar science” interesting. I’m curious to what kind of things you look at in the bar business these days compared to 10-15 years ago

There's no real "bar science" because every location faces too many anomalies to have any sort of macro-philosophy. You have to adapt to your location and clientele.

Only things that exist as constants are formulas for making sure your cost of goods sold hit somewhere between 17% and 24% (for the bar proper... this doesn't factor in food) and maintaining up to code.

If it's anything I've noticed about bars in the past ten years is that more and more people are learning how to properly use spreadsheets. The real reason bars are such a volatile, high risk business can be attributed to one, simple fact: most owners have absolutely no clue what they're getting into. It's rare that you'll see a bar started by someone who has actually worked and managed within the industry fail when comparing it to people who have not.

VN Store

Back