TikTok is too influential

There's no real "bar science" because every location faces too many anomalies to have any sort of macro-philosophy. You have to adapt to your location and clientele.

Only things that exist as constants are formulas for making sure your cost of goods sold hit somewhere between 17% and 24% (for the bar proper... this doesn't factor in food) and maintaining up to code.

If it's anything I've noticed about bars in the past ten years is that more and more people are learning how to properly use spreadsheets. The real reason bars are such a volatile, high risk business can be attributed to one, simple fact: most owners have absolutely no clue what they're getting into. It's rare that you'll see a bar started by someone who has actually worked and managed within the industry fail when comparing it to people who have not.

I figured the target COGS at a bar/restaurant was a lot higher than that.

I figured the target COGS at a bar/restaurant was a lot higher than that.
Target: no.

Sad reality: yes.

My mentor taught me a lot. It would make me physically ill when I was doing consultation, and I'd look at their books (if they were even keeping books). Worst place I ever saw was running a 39% COGS. It was a dive/night club/shot bar. He was charging $8 for Angel's Envy... this was 2014, but still. He was giving bottles away to any pair of tits that walked in. His staff was always drunk. I eventually decided to not take the contract after a week of evaluating. Told him he needed to close immediately and hawk his inventory before finding an entirely different business to get nto.

My mentor taught me a lot. It would make me physically ill when I was doing consultation, and I'd look at their books (if they were even keeping books). Worst place I ever saw was running a 39% COGS. It was a dive/night club/shot bar. He was charging $8 for Angel's Envy... this was 2014, but still. He was giving bottles away to any pair of tits that walked in. His staff was always drunk. I eventually decided to not take the contract after a week of evaluating. Told him he needed to close immediately and hawk his inventory before finding an entirely different business to get nto.

Friend owned a bar in Blacksburg and him and the other 2 owners treated it like their personal party pad. Yeah it went under and they had to sell. They had a lot of fun while it lasted.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Friend owned a bar in Blacksburg and him and the other 2 owners treated it like their personal party pad. Yeah it went under and they had to sell. They had a lot of fun while it lasted.
I think there's a balance between running a business like a well-oiled machine and enjoying your place as an owner. I reckon I've found that happy medium.

Just wondering if I ever want to undergo the stress of opening my own place again.

I think there's a balance between running a business like a well-oiled machine and enjoying your place as an owner. I reckon I've found that happy medium.

Just wondering if I ever want to undergo the stress of opening my own place again.

I've never been in that business but know a few people that have. The successful ones are working their asses off, they hardly ever take a day off and that's not for me.

I've never been in that business but know a few people that have. The successful ones are working their asses off, they hardly ever take a day off and that's not for me.

That's where I like to be, but you make way less money if you go hands off. If I owned a place, you'd catch me behind that bar just about every night. That's 2-3 managers you don't have to pay, and those are tips you're collecting.

I have a friend who owns a 2000 sqft little dive in Colorado. owns/operates it himself. That guy clears 400-500k working 5 nights a week behind the bar and lives right above it. I want to emulate that.

That's where I like to be, but you make way less money if you go hands off. If I owned a place, you'd catch me behind that bar just about every night. That's 2-3 managers you don't have to pay, and those are tips you're collecting.

I have a friend who owns a 2000 sqft little dive in Colorado. owns/operates it himself. That guy clears 400-500k working 5 nights a week behind the bar and lives right above it. I want to emulate that.

That doesn't sound bad at all. I always thought it would be fun to own and run a "Cheers" type bar. The local watering hole, but even those are 7 day a week ventures.

I used to work as a bouncer at a bar in Hixson. It was a fun summer gig.

I've managed fast food and I've trained servers in seated service. Almost started sommelier training when I was at The Loft until I injured myself and had to quit.

Those who own restaurants and manage them well (or make solid managerial hires) have my utmost respect. It's a tough thing to do right.

Most people tending bar or managing one have little to no concept of the financial aspect. My wife deals with it all the time. She was having to teach grown men with plenty of experience that beginning inventory+purchases-sold= ending. They couldn't reconcile the bar and at times would be out thousands in a given month. That's product that's either been given away for free or just stolen. They'd leave flats of beer stacked by the bathroom and then be surprised when they walked off.

Most people tending bar or managing one have little to no concept of the financial aspect. My wife deals with it all the time. She was having to teach grown men with plenty of experience that beginning inventory+purchases-sold= ending. They couldn't reconcile the bar and at times would be out thousands in a given month. That's product that's either been given away for free or just stolen. They'd leave flats of beer stacked by the bathroom and then be surprised when they walked off.

It's painful because it's so damn easy. I ought to just sell my Google Sheets master bar doc template and a tutorial on how to use it to anyone opening a new bar.

There's no real "bar science" because every location faces too many anomalies to have any sort of macro-philosophy. You have to adapt to your location and clientele.

Only things that exist as constants are formulas for making sure your cost of goods sold hit somewhere between 17% and 24% (for the bar proper... this doesn't factor in food) and maintaining up to code.

If it's anything I've noticed about bars in the past ten years is that more and more people are learning how to properly use spreadsheets. The real reason bars are such a volatile, high risk business can be attributed to one, simple fact: most owners have absolutely no clue what they're getting into. It's rare that you'll see a bar started by someone who has actually worked and managed within the industry fail when comparing it to people who have not.
It’s amazing to me that people can not have a clue about business costs, food/drink profit cost, hiring the right people, and protecting themselves from theft, overpouring, bad locations etc but think they can successfully operate a bar because they just woke up one day and felt like owning a bar

The problem with men is they are all too eager to take on debt. They don't seem to realize what "debt" means. The problem with ladies is they stopped having fun. You better make sure you have both covered. I've managed bars at a too young age. It ain't easy.

Back on topic, tiktok is not the stupid one here.

China’s TikTok Generates More Revenue Via In-App Purchases than Major Social Media Platforms *Combined*

China-owned TikTok is trouncing its competitors in in-app purchases (IAPs), generating more revenue in the fourth quarter of 2022 than its top four competitors combined.

TikTok, which is currently facing down a potential ban by the U.S. Congress, has long had an in-app purchase feature. Some of its competitors, including Facebook and Twitter, have only recently introduced such features, and have a great deal of catching up to do if they want to approach TikTok’s revenues.
https://media.breitbart.com/media/2022/03/oscarsIGinfluencers1.jpg
China's TikTok Generates More Revenue Via In-App Purchases than Major Social Media Platforms *Combined*

VN Store

Back