Tim Banks to MTSU?

If butch would have let him bring some of his guys with him might have worked
I suspect Butch blew his whole budget on Shoop, which should have made a huge difference. PSU tried hard to keep him, but the money spoke.
I would be ok with him coming back, honestly.
Great defensive coach. Good person. Respected. and we have a far more capable roster and Head Coach.

He got canned everywhere he's been. Pass on Manny.
First off, do you even google? No, he hasnā€™t gotten canned everywhere heā€™s been.ā€ Totally false.
Also, Have you seen his Penn State defense?
He was canned at Miami as a head coach due to Mario and others going behind his back. The result hasnā€™t been better. Thatā€™s fine, though. Oh, did Derek Mason get canned anywhere? How about Arnett? Itā€™s part of the profession.

Last edited:
If people donā€™t want to believe Basillio they should believe Brice (and then realize basillio was right as well)
Iā€™m shocked neither one of us has gotten the ā€œThanks, Tonyā€ reply. I usually get it when correcting people who love to talk about how wrong he is. Thatā€™s the go-to response when people canā€™t handle truth. No logical response, no factual pushback, just a tired and played out (and lazy) unfunny retort.

Most of his stuff ends up having merit. The thread someone started this summer bashing him for stating concerns about Milton and the line are amusing to me now since so many of those people have spent the season stating the same stuff about Milton. All the guy said is that he isnā€™t it and isnā€™t elite, but decent. The Lovie Smith thing was the worst thing from him. His Barnes take early on was bad as well. He does have sources inside the AD though. I think he even helped Brice get started. There were quite a few interns of his early on that went on to bigger and better things. Tony is his own dude and ai get how he annoys people, I think thatā€™s the schtick. I also get that he isnā€™t always spot on, heā€™s just not this clueless guy throwing junk against the wall, and Iā€™d listen to him over 90 percent of what the Animal puts on.

Last edited:
Iā€™m shocked neither one of us has gotten the ā€œThanks, Tonyā€ reply. I usually get it when correcting people who love to talk about how wrong he is. Most of his stuff ends up having merit. The thread someone started this summer bashing him for stating concerns about Milton and the line are amusing to me now since so many of those people have spent the season stating the same stuff about Milton. All the guy said is that he isnā€™t it and isnā€™t elite, but decent. The Lovie Smith thing was the worst thing from him. His Barnes take early on was bad as well. He does have sources inside the AD though. I think he even helped Brice get started. There were quite a few interns of his early on that went on to bigger and better things. Tony is his own dude and ai get how he annoys people, I think thatā€™s the schtick. I also get that he isnā€™t always spot on, heā€™s just not this clueless guy throwing junk against the wall, and Iā€™d listen to him over 90 percent of what the Animal puts on.
I think some of the sunshine pumpers on here are really a mix of university shills and fans of other teams who wants us to keep sticking with what's not working. I know there is some closeted Clemson fans on here. With all the name calling and personal attacks, it wouldn't shock me much to find out that Dabo was posting on here.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Still surprised they're moving on from Stockstill. Would be easy for them to just keep Stockstill til he retired as he made a bowl game more years than not, but seems they want more from the program than 7-8 wins being the ceiling.

Banks, despite this fan base's incorrect criticisms of him, has a long history of successful defenses, but not sure what to expect of him as a head coach, if these reports are real. Don't hear a ton about how much players like him, and I don't follow recruiting so not sure how good he is at that.

But I like seeing MTSU do well so long as they're not playing the Vols, and I like Banks, so if he gets the job(if these reports are real) I'll be hoping for good things for them.
7-8 wins would be nice. Since 2018, they have won 7+ games 1 time. And 1 winning season since 2018. If they had won 7-8 games every year last 5 years, Stockstill would still be the coach.

Reactions: Titans4Vols
I think some of the sunshine pumpers on here are really a mix of university shills and fans of other teams who wants us to keep sticking with what's not working. I know there is some closeted Clemson fans on here. With all the name calling and personal attacks, it wouldn't shock me much to find out that Dabo was posting on here.
Donā€™t know about all that. Iā€™m sure there may be some closet fans, a few. However, Dabo is busy monitoring his own fans and their sports talk shows. Heā€™s a busy man.

Have you seen his Penn State defense?
He was canned at Miami due to Mario and others going behind his back. The result hasnā€™t been better. Thatā€™s fine, though. Oh, did Derek Mason get canned anywhere? How about Arnett? Itā€™s part of the profession.
Also, he was canned as head coach. Thatā€™s not the same as DC. Heā€™s a very good DCā€¦as you say, Penn Stateā€™s defense is fantastic.

Still surprised they're moving on from Stockstill. Would be easy for them to just keep Stockstill til he retired as he made a bowl game more years than not, but seems they want more from the program than 7-8 wins being the ceiling.

Banks, despite this fan base's incorrect criticisms of him, has a long history of successful defenses, but not sure what to expect of him as a head coach, if these reports are real. Don't hear a ton about how much players like him, and I don't follow recruiting so not sure how good he is at that.

But I like seeing MTSU do well so long as they're not playing the Vols, and I like Banks, so if he gets the job(if these reports are real) I'll be hoping for good things for them.

Middle is delusional. Their home games look like High School. They may have 5k fans at their games. 7-5, 8-4 is who they are. Lucky to have Stockstill; IMO.

Also, he was canned as head coach. Thatā€™s not the same as DC. Heā€™s a very good DCā€¦as you say, Penn Stateā€™s defense is fantastic.
Yep. Itā€™s also a flat out lie that he was ā€œfired everywhere heā€™s beenā€. These people donā€™t even research stuff before they spew things on here.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
How many times does it have to be said? Look at our CB's and Safeties. Not one could start for any of the better team's in the SEC. Not one of them would sniff the field at UGa, Bama, LSU, OleMiss, and not even upstart Mizzou or raggy Gators Defensive Backfields. A coach can only coach up a player so much. And it's not Banks fault. Martinez, Pruitt and being terrible for the last 20 years will do it for you. Tell me the last time we've fielded a good Defensive Backfield? 2009 with Berry and Jansen? Don't forget about Prentiss Wagner and Art "Burnt Toast" Evans.
But our pass defense has went from 289 in '22 and 273 in '21 to 234ish this season. To put all the blame on Banks is crazy.
Banks is the leader of the defense, is he not? Everything starts and stops with him on that side of the ball. Recruiting included. Martinez is a big part of all of it. You might convince me, if they got rid of Martinez and figured out a way to bring in better/more athletic players in the secondary it may work. But acting like there are no problems with our defense and the coaching is not to blame is asinine. If it's a lack of talent, go get better players, that starts with the coaches recruiting better.

VN Store

Back