Time to do something about schedules

northknoxvol

Senior Member (BFL)
Something has to change imo. Beating the brakes off these small teams and giving them checks just doesnt fly anymore. Fans pay too much money to go to a game that is just a scrimmage. Fans all over college football are leaving at halftime of these games. The TV networks have to be pissed about paying so much for the rights to broadcast and then struggling to keep viewers for more than a quarter.

Something has to change imo. Beating the brakes off these small teams and giving them checks just doesnt fly anymore. Fans pay too much money to go to a game that is just a scrimmage. Fans all over college football are leaving at halftime of these games. The TV networks have to be pissed about paying so much for the rights to broadcast and then struggling to keep viewers for more than a quarter.
The solution is a 9th conference game. They need to get that worked out. Gotta preserve these rivalries.

Nope!
I watched the whole game.
Enjoying this season’s Vols.

I would like to see Tennessee play better opponents, but these games serve a useful purpose. Everyone gets to play, but more importantly, the team gets to work out the kinks. The onside kick is a good example. There was no point in doing it in terms of winning the game. Some other fans called it classless. These games are scrimmages that let the coaches try things in live action and see how the the players perform. It also gives future opponents something to worry about.

I would like to see Tennessee play better opponents, but these games serve a useful purpose. Everyone gets to play, but more importantly, the team gets to work out the kinks. The onside kick is a good example. There was no point in doing it in terms of winning the game. Some other fans called it classless. These games are scrimmages that let the coaches try things in live action and see how the the players perform. It also gives future opponents something to worry about.
It was classless

Maybe make more money since this is too
I watched every minute of the game. If we had scored 150 I still would have watched.

We play Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. We needed these early games this season because we have a freshman QB.

Gotta disagree… these games are necessary for developing your depth. At QB alone, there were 4 guys who played after Nico. Merklinger got to create some valuable game film that will help him develop… and there were multiple other back ups who got rare live action snaps this is how you prepare for the future.

The solution is a 9th conference game. They need to get that worked out. Gotta preserve these rivalries.
I agree but I dont think this will happen because a 9th SEC game would potentially eliminate more SEC teams from playoff contention. As it is, the SEC has the potential to produce several 10-2 teams which would be hard to keep out, as opposed to several 9-3 teams. If they eventually expand the playoff number to 16 (which they will), maybe this will happen.

Last edited:
If schools and networks weren't making money, they wouldn't be doing it. Good or bad, we better get used to it, because that is one of the consequences of 12 team playoff that gives preference to conference champions.

Reactions: 08Vol
It was classless
Continuing to play football in the 1st quarter is classless? Saying someone should just stop because the opponent is bad, in the first quarter no less is such a loser mentality. I’d rather you beat the crap out of me all game than say “well you suck so bad I feel sorry for you so I’m just gonna lay down and let you feel good about yourself.” That’s far more embarrassing to me than just getting pummeled.

Do Heupel and White work together on the football schedule or does Heupel make out the schedule like Barnes and Caldwell and Vitello do?

Yep. Need Danny to stand firm on our rivalries games. Always want to play Bama, but not sure I want a 3 permanent teams schedule. Would rather have one permanent, play 8 others SEC opponents then reset every 4 years. jmo

Gotta disagree… these games are necessary for developing your depth. At QB alone, there were 4 guys who played after Nico. Merklinger got to create some valuable game film that will help him develop… and there were multiple other back ups who got rare live action snaps this is how you prepare for the future.
This.

I don’t find match-ups like that particularly compelling or sporting. But it’s not like Kent State was forced against their will either.

VN Store

Back