Time to do something about schedules

Seems like some are scared to play tougher competition......I am for playing competitive football games......I dont give a damn about guaranteed victories to pad your resume.

Oh I know.

Expecting the team to execute and the coaches to coach when you're winning is just awful.

We offered to shorten the game. We let everyone but Smokey play. We scored 6 in the second half.

We really, really were classless.
Oh I know.

Expecting the team to execute and the coaches to coach when you're winning is just awful.

We offered to shorten the game. We let everyone but Smokey play. We scored 6 in the second half.

We really, really were classless.
The onside kick was classless.

You never played competitive sports above elementary school did you.

The only reason people are complaining about the schedule is becuase of how dominant our team actually is. This is what it feels like to be a top 10 team. This is how Georgia and Bama feel sleepwalking through the top of their schedule for the last decade. The difference is, that there is no chance of an upset against Heupel's teams. Compare that to Butch's or Pruitts teams.

Enjoy it. Treat is like a bye week and an opportunity to give our backups reps. If we are as good as we hope, it will be a long season with playoff games in December. Just be patient.

Reactions: VolCalls

Hehehehe. I'm not a braggart. I wasn't good enough nor committed enough to play at UT despite my size. I tried. High school, however, was fun.

Look, maybe Kent State had no business being there but after the first half we didn't try to embarrass them. That's as fair and classy as you can expect at the college level when you're getting well paid to get your butt kicked.

Had we taken the onside in the second half, we'd agree. Expecting a half of actual football in trade for $1.25M is as fair and classy as you can get.

Yeah let's make our schedule even more difficult than it already is for no real benefit. These games give us the opportunity to work out some kinks and not wear out our team for the long season ahead. Not to mention the small schools get a nice check.

Seems like some are scared to play tougher competition......I am for playing competitive football games......I dont give a damn about guaranteed victories to pad your resume.
We consistently play one of the best schedules yearly. And yet again we have another good one this year. However I think I will fo myself a favor and just block the BS. See ya

Something has to change imo. Beating the brakes off these small teams and giving them checks just doesnt fly anymore. Fans pay too much money to go to a game that is just a scrimmage. Fans all over college football are leaving at halftime of these games. The TV networks have to be pissed about paying so much for the rights to broadcast and then struggling to keep viewers for more than a quarter.
Then explain this. NFL pre-season football. They are all just scrimmages yet you have to pay to see one.

Heupel or someone said after the game that the onside kick was Not a planned play called from the sidelines by the coaching staff.
Our kicker (who always has the option) saw something in the way KSU lined up that made him think it would be successful. He was correct.

Something has to change imo. Beating the brakes off these small teams and giving them checks just doesnt fly anymore. Fans pay too much money to go to a game that is just a scrimmage. Fans all over college football are leaving at halftime of these games. The TV networks have to be pissed about paying so much for the rights to broadcast and then struggling to keep viewers for more than a quarter.
Willing to bet a different tune was being sung when we were going 4-8 and losing to Georgia State.

After the bye week the Vols have to play Arkansas, Florida and Alabama for the next 3 weeks. There should have been a UTC or Kent State scheduled between Florida and Bama.

Ever noticed Georgia and Bama seem to getaway each year with not having consecutive weeks of tough rival matchups?
Kent State, Florida - same thing. That game would be a nail biter this year.

How is it classless? It was not a called play , it was a kicker reading the lineup and making the call he was coached to call...geeesh
When you talk to "surface" fans, terms like 'automatic play call' are foreign to them. They don't know strategy so they get upset instead. These are the ones that scream to go for it on 4th down and then have a fit if they don't make it. They know more about stuff like the WOOO in Rocky Top. It's all good though like swimming in a pool. Non-swimmers stay out of the deep end. Everybody has a good time.

You’re right. This was Kent St
And they are still a college football team.Not our fault that they were overmatched. Hell they were given a chance to end the suffering quicker and turned it down they have more respect for themselves than you are giving them. They played as hard as they could the entire game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back