Top 100 Guitarists of All Time

Kind of an overwhelming task to come up with 100. Saw some that I definitely wouldn't associate with the top 100 ever, but it would probably take me months to come up with such a list.

Played out as it is, I have to agree with Hendrix at 1.

To preempt the obligatory "Eric Clapton is overrated" post.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8hLc_nqx8g[/youtube]

Pantera fans will be outraged at Dimebag's somewhat poor showing at #92

Roy Clark should have been in that list

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Eric Clapton maybe top ten, definitely not #2. Jimmy Page and Jimmy Hendrix, it's a wash.

Reactions: NEO
I really only concern myself the top ten on these, and there are only two things I'd change about RS':

1) Clapton and Berry should trade places.

2) Why is Keith Richards even on this list?

Pantera fans will be outraged at Dimebag's somewhat poor showing at #92

Roy Clark should have been in that list

92 is a joke, when you are the best in your genre, that says something to me.

Derek Trucks ahead of Chet Atkins and Les Paul?

As usual, Kurt Cobain shows up on a list where he simply doesn't belong.
Thought Mayer would make the list, even if he were on the low end

Cobain's going to be on every "greatest" list RS, VH1, or MTV puts out.

Know why? They alllll suck now.

Well I think you have to look at an entire career comprehensively. I don't think the list is based on skill alone or showmanship or albums sold. I think 1-10 are pretty much a representation of their respective careers. Say what you will about Eric Clapton's guitar playing (there are better players), but as a performer, songwriter, guitar player - he def deserves to be in the top 10. And for those less than stellar players, the Keith Richards and Kurt Cobains, those guys changed the face of the genre. Keith Richards wrote some amazing songs and the Rolling Stones would not have been the same without him. Cobain wasn't that great of a guitar player, but his music encapsulated an entire generation and altered the face of rock and roll. So I don't look at this list as "This guy is ranked higher so he must be better than all the rest," but rather as a recognition of a career and influence on other great guitarists and rock and roll itself.

On a side note, Derek Trucks being at 17? or somewhere around there is ridiculous. He's a good guitarist, but he grew up with a famous dad in the music business with one of the greatest bands (Allman Brothers) and he's married to a very talented musician (Susan Tedeschi) that happens to front his band. He might be good, but he probably wouldn't have made my top 100.

Last edited:
Well I think you have to look at an entire career comprehensively. I don't think the list is based on skill alone or showmanship or albums sold. I think 1-10 are pretty much a representation of their respective careers. Say what you will about Eric Clapton's guitar playing (there are better players), but as a performer, songwriter, guitar player - he def deserves to be in the top 10. And for those less than stellar players, the Keith Richards and Kurt Cobains, those guys changed the face of the genre. Keith Richards wrote some amazing songs and the Rolling Stones would not have been the same without him. Cobain wasn't that great of a guitar player, but his music encapsulated an entire generation and altered the face of rock and roll. So I don't look at this list as "This guy is ranked higher so he must be better than all the rest," but rather as a recognition of a career and influence on other great guitarists and rock and roll itself.

On a side note, Derek Trucks being at 17? or somewhere around there is ridiculous. He's a good guitarist, but he grew up with a famous dad in the music business with one of the greatest bands (Allman Brothers) and he's married to a very talented musician (Susan Tedeschi) that happens to front his band. He might be good, but he probably wouldn't have made my top 100.

Derek deserves to be on the list, just not that high.

As for Cobain, he is only the so called face of a generation because he blew his brains out.

Derek deserves to be on the list, just not that high.

As for Cobain, he is only the so called face of a generation because he blew his brains out.

I have to disagree with this. I'll give you that he is overrated as a guitar player. I think it's a little unfair to say that the only reason he's regarded the way he is, is because he shot himself. His suicide didn't land Nevermind on the list of top selling albums of all time. Generation X-ers felt a connection to what he was writing and that jumpstarted an entire movement that changed modern rock and roll. People didn't want androgynous lead singers with eye liner singing about banging groupies anymore. Nirvana, along with Pearl Jam, Alice N' Chains, Soundgarden and others effectively ended hair bands and introduced grunge and alternative music into the mainstream. And Nirvana was at the forefront of that. Would you say that Hendrix was only popular because he died young? Or The Doors and Jim Morrison? Janis Joplin? No, they're all extremely talented musicians and performers. I'm not a huge Nirvana fan, but I know that they earned their fame and contributed a great deal to the evolution of rock and roll.

Dangerous game to play when comparing artists who died young, Cobain has no right to be mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix.

I often wonder what Nirvana's legacy would be had he not killed himself and it's never what it is now.

People just wanted something different, I always shake my head at the thought of a single band killing an entire genre of music. Hair metal or whatever you call it, killed itself.

Nirvana was at the right time, the fight place. Don't get me wrong, they were an alright band but his untimely death is the driving force behind that bands legacy.

Because it certainly isn't his guitar playing or his song-writing, which I always found as sort of a joke when compared to his peers.

Last edited:
Is Alex Lifeson not the most under-appreciated guitarists of all-time...he sits at 98 on this list.

The problem with any lists like this is it is unfair to group these styles and genres together and usually a list like this can't make it's mind up.

For instance, How are guys like Steve Vai/Satch Boogie left off the list while guys like Ry Cooder and Randy Rhodes aren't? They all deserve to be on there.

Also, Joey Ramone is in the top 40, it's the typical hipster-dufus pick that you would expect from Rolliing Stone.

Tom Morello is a really, really good guitar player but if you have heard one of his riffs you have heard them all. I think he and Dimebag should trade places on this list.

Just a few more thoughts.

Last edited:
Sonny Landreth should be on this list.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcHvxPccRQ[/youtube]

Cobain isn't anywhere close to being a top guitarist. I loved Nirvana and all, but there were people left off that should have replaced Kurt.

Reactions: vols72
Is Alex Lifeson not the most under-appreciated guitarists of all-time...he sits at 98 on this list.

The problem with any lists like this is it is unfair to group these styles and genres together and usually a list like this can't make it's mind up.

For instance, How are guys like Steve Vai/Satch Boogie left off the list while guys like Ry Cooder and Randy Rhodes aren't? They all deserve to be on there.

Also, Joey Ramone is in the top 40, it's the typical hipster-dufus pick that you would expect from Rolliing Stone.

Tom Morello is a really, really good guitar player but if you have heard one of his riffs you have heard them all. I think he and Dimebag should trade places on this list.

I agree with all of that.

I catch Derek & Susan every year at Wanee Fest. They are both talented performers. Duane is also very entertaining.

Joe Satriani is my favorite guitarist, and personally I think he is the best alive today in terms of his skill alone, outside of factors such as influence, career, etc.

VN Store

Back