Transfer Portal is a disaster

I think you may be right. Ultimately it could lead to more parity and less stockpiling of talent.
I do not see that. Programs with money will become more richer and the have nots will be the same. Alabama will pay players to sit on the bench instead of going to Auburn, Tennessee, or LSU. Paul Bryant did the same thing with swimming scholarships in the 60’s.

I also think that the system is not done evolving yet and players will see the institutions as their foe in the future as the NCAA fades. You will see adverse employee-employer relationships to fracture the sport. You already see players sitting out bowl games.

I do fault the institutions when they prostituted their academic principles to create exceptions for athletes so they could profit. Some players and coaches do not value the academic requirements and use the institutions for personal benefit only. That privilege is not available for real students since they would be suspended or totally kicked out of programs.

College football is vulnerable. I lost interest in the NFL 5 years ago and am beginning to see the same trends in CFB. The younger generations are much more diverse than the later generations in they talk about soccer (fake football) or generally care less about collegiate athletics. There was a time 50 years ago that baseball thought nothing would ever challenge their status as America’s pastime. It only took one strike to take them out of the cat bird’s seat for good.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
For those of you who think the TP and NIL is a great idea, let’s discuss how crappy it’s become in just 2.5 years. We have gone from players wanting some money shares for jersey sales and player cards signings for money to pay for play and basically uncontrolled free agency! Bowl season was laughable with players opting out during the game. Starting QBs for new years six games transferring out. Now Quinshon from Mississippi has left and he’s leaving what I feel a very real contender for the Natty next year.

If we don’t get some sort of overseeing body on this soon, college football will not survive!

Thoughts?
I’m ready for the adventure.

Only fix is to let schools pay players and that introduces contracts.
And what will that do but cause massive tuition increases to the majority 95% plus of the students that are simply trying to earn a degree to make it in life.

For those of us that loved the game as it was, it’s a disaster. Let’s look at the situation as it stands.

Many have said the NCAA needs to do something, set limits, do away with transfers. The NIL situation is where it is today because the NCAA was stubborn and overreaching. If they had allowed for reasonable stipends that were more commiserate with a players worth, we might not be in this mess.

The court case that began this is now the law of the land and there’s only one solution and absolutely no one wants to go there.

No one can set a persons value in the marketplace. That’s how the free enterprise system works and that ship left the dock when the court ruled.

Currently, there is another case that would punish the NCAA for forbidding students from being paid directly by the schools. There is also provision in the suit for a 4 year reach back that would compensate players from 2019 till the time the case is settled. In antitrust cases that’s a thing. Schools could be forced to go back from the time the original case was ruled. Imagine the cost of that.

The reason no one wants this is the only way limits can be enforced is if that case won and players become employees. Then, players would organize and then collective bargaining could enforce caps because the players would have agreed to it when they voted on it. The reason no one wants this is because if a collective bargaining entity negotiated caps, they are bound by law to fairly negotiate for all employees. So kids who are getting pennies now would be earning a substantial living wage. The schools don’t want it. The marquee players don’t want it. Yet fans keep clamoring for it and it would be far more worse than the system that is now in place. I wish there was a way to set caps. It would level the playing ground for lesser programs and stop the bidding wars for the best players but the court ruling basically castrated the NCAA when it comes to enforcement. The last thing the NCAA needs is to get involved in another losing lawsuit. Enforcing caps without players being employees with collective bargaining is a great big lawsuit loss for the NCAA. Another loss of that magnitude and the NCAA may as well fold their tent.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in anti-trust cases, if the court rules for the plaintiff, isn't the award 3 times the amount asked for? Are the athletes suing asking a $ amount? I don't remember seeing one.

For those of you who think the TP and NIL is a great idea, let’s discuss how crappy it’s become in just 2.5 years. We have gone from players wanting some money shares for jersey sales and player cards signings for money to pay for play and basically uncontrolled free agency! Bowl season was laughable with players opting out during the game. Starting QBs for new years six games transferring out. Now Quinshon from Mississippi has left and he’s leaving what I feel a very real contender for the Natty next year.

If we don’t get some sort of overseeing body on this soon, college football will not survive!

Thoughts?

don't hold your breath waiting for that.

On NIL, the issues won't go anywhere anytime soon. You have each state that has passed laws governing NIL. Each state has their won interpretations on how they want it to work for colleges in their state. Its different from state to state. The governing body for college football can't put in a process to govern all colleges because the state laws or so different. The only way to get to a single governing oversight is a federal law consistent for all states and schools. That is going to be a long while happening, IMO.

On the portal, that genie is out and won't go back in the bottle. Its only going to open up more. Its no different then you wanting to change jobs. You would not want a rule or policy in place limiting your ability to move from one job to another. Anything that tries to limit players moving from school to school now will end up in the courts and be tossed out.

It is what it is and is not going back to what it was.

On NIL, the issues won't go anywhere anytime soon. You have each state that has passed laws governing NIL. Each state has their won interpretations on how they want it to work for colleges in their state. Its different from state to state. The governing body for college football can't put in a process to govern all colleges because the state laws or so different. The only way to get to a single governing oversight is a federal law consistent for all states and schools. That is going to be a long while happening, IMO.

On the portal, that genie is out and won't go back in the bottle. Its only going to open up more. Its no different then you wanting to change jobs. You would not want a rule or policy in place limiting your ability to move from one job to another. Anything that tries to limit players moving from school to school now will end up in the courts and be tossed out.

If contracts are in the future, could schools implement non-compete clauses and keep players from transferring to this school or conference? I have it my job, just wondering if it could be legal for something like this. I recognize the NFL has no such clauses but they can also trade, cut, release or relegate players to different players, squads, etc

And what will that do but cause massive tuition increases to the majority 95% plus of the students that are simply trying to earn a degree to make it in life.
One has zero to do with the other.

"Ncaa has too much control! They must be stopped!"

<controls removed. Ncaa neutered>

"No, not like that!"
lol…. That’s exactly how the thinking has gone. I get people wanting things to calm down, but people have to recognize that the business model of raking in 9 figures while controlling people’s ability to make money or move around was unsustainable and just wrong.

"Ncaa has too much control! They must be stopped!"

<controls removed. Ncaa neutered>

"No, not like that!"
That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. I think, eventually, this will settle down a good bit as it finds its new equilibrium.

Contracts are on the way...............

If they start just playing players, they damn sure ought to stop offering the academic scholarships. This all got started by activists who claimed that the football players were being "exploited." They are not. They're getting a free college education--which is worth a helluva lot of money, especially when you throw in the tutoring, counseling, coaching, food, medical care, etc. It's worth way more than $50K a year. But because a scholarship is not cash money, and because activists have never properly valued an education, the scholarship benefit gets short shrift in all all this. The NCAA and perhaps the schools need better lawyers.

Reactions: cgrish and peaygolf
If they start just playing players, they damn sure ought to stop offering the academic scholarships. This all got started by activists who claimed that the football players were being "exploited." They are not. They're getting a free college education--which is worth a helluva lot of money, especially when you throw in the tutoring, counseling, coaching, food, medical care, etc. It's worth way more than $50K a year. But because a scholarship is not cash money, and because activists have never properly valued an education, the scholarship benefit gets short shrift in all all this. The NCAA and perhaps the schools need better lawyers.
Oh lawd............Please don't get me started. :rolleyes: :mad:
I calculated how much "money" athletes were getting before this NIL crap. It's unbelievable...................

BTW.......I agree with ya.

Thoughts?
College football will adjust and be just fine. Look for bowl games to be moved to late Aug. or early Sept., or at the end of spring practice, with only playoff games post-season. That solves the opt-out issue and puts the spotlight solely on the playoffs.

Reactions: GAVol

The genie is way out of the bottle because there is money involved and lots of tampering. It will be quite interesting in 5 or 10 years to take a look at, say, 50 transfers over a period of two/three years and how they worked out. We're now seeing a number of players transferring for the third time. Players should be free to transfer, but we've just turned a lot of these kids (and their families) into seedy mercenaries---and of course the extent of all these commercial/professional changes just makes a mockery of what is supposed to be a college experience. It's a very American phenomenon: Once something becomes successful and makes money, it will be run into the ground. The TV networks run college football now and have been leading schools around by the nose--including the university presidents, who ought to know better.

Thoughts?
Why? So it can become controlled and corrupt as well? There's too much money involved for it not to survive. It will be fine.

This system allows UT to leverage its top tier fan base and income to help improve the program. The flaws will eventually become so obvious they can’t be ignored and better systems will come into place. We literally do not get Nico without NIL. Onward and upward.

TV networks run college football now and have been leading schools around by the nose--including the university presidents, who ought to know better.
Of course they know better. But it’s been easier just to take the check every year and hide behind the charade of amateurism.

Thoughts?
I could not agree more. Instead of creating this mess by allowing amateur athletes become pseudo pros, regulations should have been created to limit NCAA and university profiteering or to at least channel the monies to greater academic and athletic scholarship endowments. Now it’s a blank check so the rich get richer including NCAA leadership, university leadership and funding bloated coaching salaries. I do agree that there is a hypocrisy relative to coaches packing up and leaving in the middle of the night for greener pastures. Athletes should be afforded similar flexibility. For this reason I am ok with unrestricted one time transfers but beyond that there should be penalties. And it has leveled the playing field between the blue bloods and many other D1 teams. Parody is good for sports.

What bothers me the most is when an NIL athlete lays out of bowl game because of NFL aspirations. If you are contracted to play then honor your contract. Bowl season tee total sucked this year

Schools will have to adopt "non-compete clauses" if college football wants to prepare these young men for the real world. Instead, we have created an unrealistic market that will eventually crumble in on itself.

If contracts are in the future, could schools implement non-compete clauses and keep players from transferring to this school or conference? I have it my job, just wondering if it could be legal for something like this. I recognize the NFL has no such clauses but they can also trade, cut, release or relegate players to different players, squads, etc

Sounds like something that would be legally decided.

Don’t think there is an education angle anymore. Half these kids probably haven’t seen a University book store yet.

Can confirm. UTK 98-02. Had several occasions where a player was on my class roster and never once saw them in a classroom setting. This isn’t a new phenomenon at all, just a lot more obvious now than ever.

It’s just that the illusion of the student athlete is about to be completely thrown by the wayside. It’s a shame, because where this will end up is the Universities will start hiking tuition and other costs for everyone else to keep the money train comfortably flowing for the athletes and the higher paid folks at the University. We will likely see many non-revenue sports fold completely.

It’s a tough situation because I feel these kids should be paid to some degree, especially seeing the boatloads of cash that are made on their backs. But the way we are going about it is just going to end up killing the college experience for students, make it completely unaffordable for others, and killing the sports we are passionate about.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back