Transfer Portal is a disaster

Not blaming the kids. They have been taught the art of entitlement by a certain part of society
Or, if you're offered big money because you have skills that aren't easily available, maybe you've got skills that others want and will pay for and offer perks for you to come work for them.

Is that entitlement?

The genie is way out of the bottle because there is money involved and lots of tampering. It will be quite interesting in 5 or 10 years to take a look at, say, 50 transfers over a period of two/three years and how they worked out. We're now seeing a number of players transferring for the third time. Players should be free to transfer, but we've just turned a lot of these kids (and their families) into seedy mercenaries---and of course the extent of all these commercial/professional changes just makes a mockery of what is supposed to be a college experience. It's a very American phenomenon: Once something becomes successful and makes money, it will be run into the ground. The TV networks run college football now and have been leading schools around by the nose--including the university presidents, who ought to know better.

here is a look at Rivals top ranked players by position from 2019. Portal had a huge impact on players transferring. One would have to look at current bios on players to see how well they did after transfer. Some are in transfer process this cycle.

Couple of notes on the data: 1) the year that the player is in has not been updated post 2023 season yet 2) where you see the Out of FB notation, that indicates I can't find anywhere they are playing or did play after going into the portal and they had at least one year of eligibility remaining. So those players transferred and were unable to find a place to play.

Reactions: grouchyvol
lets not act like kids weren’t getting paid under the table for years. Not to mention the ncaa rules around transfers and impermissible benefits are not that old (1970’s).

The big problem is the crazy amount of money the university's are making. They were greedy and the courts are going to put a stop to it. They had gotten to the point where a kid couldn’t work in the off season without being ineligible, but were taking under the table money. That system was crazy. Not the current one.

Imagine being Trevor Lawrence and not being able to get paid to be on a shampoo commercial.

The old system was broken, it is now under construction, and will land on a new set of rules at some point.

Or, if you're offered big money because you have skills that aren't easily available, maybe you've got skills that others want and will pay for and offer perks for you to come work for them.

Is that entitlement?
This began when people decided they were entitled to be payed,because a video game used “their” number on a jersey. No name, the technology was such that there wasn’t even really a likeness

At some point the IRS will give young people a wake up call and they will have to deal with what the rest of us experience. Also some will demand athletes don't need to go to class and the sport just becomes a minor league club sport.

Reactions: Vol since 77
This began when people decided they were entitled to be payed,because a video game used “their” number on a jersey. No name, the technology was such that there wasn’t even really a likeness
It continued and got "more entitled" (your idea) because these players had and have skills these schools COMPETE to attain, just like major corporations COMPETE for high performing employees.

Companies offer more perks to attract better talent. Schools offer more perks to attain better talent.

This is how America works and has worked since the beginning. Good employees are valuable and they get paid and get perks.

There's nothing "woke" about it.

BOOM
s-l1600.jpgs-l16002.jpg00screenshot.png

At some point the IRS will give young people a wake up call and they will have to deal with what the rest of us experience. Also some will demand athletes don't need to go to class and the sport just becomes a minor league club sport.
When have you ever turned down more money from your employer or perks from "fear of the IRS?"

That's such a ridiculous argument.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan

Is that entitlement?
You’re “offered” big money,because the court system says you are Entitled to be payed. They are amateur athletes, not professional. Going to college is not a job

For those of you who think the TP and NIL is a great idea, let’s discuss how crappy it’s become in just 2.5 years. We have gone from players wanting some money shares for jersey sales and player cards signings for money to pay for play and basically uncontrolled free agency! Bowl season was laughable with players opting out during the game. Starting QBs for new years six games transferring out. Now Quinshon from Mississippi has left and he’s leaving what I feel a very real contender for the Natty next year.

If we don’t get some sort of overseeing body on this soon, college football will not survive!

Thoughts?

The TP, as well as the NIL, has allowed for us to go from the worst UT team in history that had on 25 players transfer out after 2020, into an 11 win team in only 2 years.

The transfer portal has also put Washington and Texas into the CFP, when 2 short years ago, both teams were below .500.

It also doesn't allow UGA and Bama to hoard 5 stars for 3-4 years while they wait they wait their turn to play.

Seems like it has finally given college football more parity, and I'm all for it.

Reactions: Raebo
It continued and got "more entitled" (your idea) because these players had and have skills these schools COMPETE to attain, just like major corporations COMPETE for high performing employees.

Companies offer more perks to attract better talent. Schools offer more perks to attain better talent.

This is how America works and has worked since the beginning. Good employees are valuable and they get paid and get perks.

There's nothing "woke" about it.
Amateur athletes are NOT employees

if these players are passing around gifts, they will also get wake up calls re: gift limits and exceeding the lifetime exclusion
and that won't happen immediately

You’re “offered” big money,because the court system says you are Entitled to be payed. They are amateur athletes, not professional. Going to college is not a job
So the court is making the schools do as the Constitution intended and that's "woke?"

Uh........

The TP, as well as the NIL, has allowed for us to go from the worst UT team in history that had on 25 players transfer out after 2020, into an 11 win team in only 2 years.

The transfer portal has also put Washington and Texas into the CFP, when 2 short years ago, both teams were below .500.

It also doesn't allow UGA and Bama to hoard 5 stars for 3-4 years while they wait they wait their turn to play.

Seems like it has finally given college football more parity, and I'm all for it.
So you’re okay with whatever school has the most cooperative money winning every year. The Yankees used to win every year because they had the most money, and could pay any player just so you couldn’t have them

Amateur athletes are NOT employees
So you think Nico can tell Coach, "I'm sorry, man, I won't be able to study film this week before Bama because I've got big tests in a couple of classes. I'll be there for practice, but in the evenings I've really got to study."

In no reality did Nico get to UT to primarily be a student, first, then a football player.

Denying that is just being dishonest.

So you think Nico can tell Coach, "I'm sorry, man, I won't be able to study film this week before Bama because I've got big tests in a couple of classes. I'll be there for practice, but in the evenings I've really got to study."

In no reality did Nico get to UT to primarily be a student, first, then a football player.

If he’s not there to be a student, then what’s the point of even calling these institutions schools. Just turn it all into a nfl farm league

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
College football has been a purely profit oriented cesspool for a long time. It’s just that now the players who provide the means for the profit (legally) get a piece of the pie.

college football programs themselves do make a profit. The problem is, that profit is used to fund 12-18 other athletic programs at a college. That funding puts most colleges in a negative position so that there are only 20-25 athletic departments that show a profit from year to year. Those budgets do not include monies raised that go toward facility improvements.

Reactions: grouchyvol

that point is here. Ever since NIL was implemented, players have had to pay taxes on what they make.

For those of you who think the TP and NIL is a great idea, let’s discuss how crappy it’s become in just 2.5 years. We have gone from players wanting some money shares for jersey sales and player cards signings for money to pay for play and basically uncontrolled free agency! Bowl season was laughable with players opting out during the game. Starting QBs for new years six games transferring out. Now Quinshon from Mississippi has left and he’s leaving what I feel a very real contender for the Natty next year.

If we don’t get some sort of overseeing body on this soon, college football will not survive!

Thoughts?
One remedy would be to go back to the former way where student athletes get their education paid for and drop coaching salaries to a maximum of $250,000 per year. We can’t have coaches & institutions making millions on the backs of young men and women. There has to be a middle ground that collegiate athletics simply hasn’t established yet. In a capitalistic society, student athletes have the right to profit from their talent.

If he’s not there to be a student, then what’s the point of even calling these institutions schools. Just turn it all into a nfl farm league
The correct term for many years has been "athlete-student" because there's no way on earth these elite kids have been allowed to say, "Hey man, this is just an amateur thing I do for the school and I'm not putting in all this time studying film, doing all the physical training, keeping up with all the nutrition crap, and all that........ I'm a student."

They're athletes first, and the student part has been completely shoved in the 3rd row seat for elite athletes.

Just be honest about it.

The correct term for many years has been "athlete-student" because there's no way on earth these elite kids have been allowed to say, "Hey man, this is just an amateur thing I do for the school and I'm not putting in all this time studying film, doing all the physical training, keeping up with all the nutrition crap, and all that........ I'm a student."

They're athletes first, and the student part has been completely shoved in the 3rd row seat for elite athletes.

Just be honest about it.
Y’all are all leaving out one very important point. NO ONE IS MAKING THEM PLAY COLLEGE FOOTBALL

So the constitution intended for amateur athletes to be paid. Which amendment is that exactly
The Sherman Antitrust Act, based on..... I'm not going to look it up but the part of the Constitution that lets Congress regulate business between states...... is what the NCAA has been violating.

The schools can't wage fix. And yes, the athlete's scholarships and educational benefits were considered compensation, as you wish, which is legally close enough to a wage to trigger the Sherman Antitrust Act.

I'm not an attorney. You're probably not either. But you insist the scholarship is compensation for the athlete's efforts. Doesn't that sound like a business deal..... "Here's room, board and some books, now I'll expect you to be at the barn every morning at 6am to take care of the horses...."

There are expectations of the scholarship that was signed. Just like students that receive the Tennessee Promise funds are expected to complete certain volunteering activities to maintain the scholarship. They know (or should anyway) what they are signing up for. It is education and training both for their chosen sport and their chosen vocation.

With both of these scenarios the student is not an employee nor subject to the rules that a university employee would be subject too. If the players ever become employees, the rules of NIL will have to be modified to ensure they align with the same rules and guardrails other university employees are subject to.

I actually worked part time while in college for a department within the university system. I had to adhere to the rules of that employment as well as the rules associated with being a student.

These athletes should not be treated any different than another student. Every student has things they must adhere to in regard to their student activities and any financial aid they may receive. They don't adhere to those - they lose their aid and must pay their own way.

VN Store

Back