'24 Transfer Portal

None of us have heard of most of the qbs around the country. That's exactly the point. Go find the unknown kid. There are HUNDREDS of qbs out there. The idea that there isn't a single one out there that would want to compete is insane. hahaha
There aren’t hundreds of QBs in the portal. In order to get the one you’re talking about, he has to come from the portal. The ones who want to compete are competing instead of jumping ship.

If he’s in there, great. I don’t think you’d have to convince the coaches to take a QB like that. But he has to be available. What y’all seem to be missing is that it’s not a matter of the coaches saying “we don’t want a QB who can provide depth and compete,” it’s that guys are in the portal precisely because they want a clear path to starting. That doesn’t exist at UT.

Thanks for the clarification that this has to be done through the portal. Also, everybody (including us) talks to players long before entering the portal. We COULD get a qb to come here. Will they go after one? Probably not. Are we going to ride or die with two freshman next year? probably. Hope it works and nobody gets hurt.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
Man, why are we taking QBs and not DBs and OL?
I agree with your point due to our needs, but there is concern going into next season with a RS freshman and true freshman manning the most important position on the team. It's especially concerning in light of the UT curse with injuries. Pick our most important player and that dude is marked. Problem is that, unlike other positions, only one plays. It's going to be darned near impossible to get a QB from the portal with Nico taking the wheel on offense. Now if he plays in the bowl game and gets seriously injured, UT might be an attractive spot, but unless Milton sits it out, Nico will see a series or two late if he plays at all in a meaningless bowl game. Suspect we'd see Moore before Nico in this one.

Having said that, I'm on record as saying we need 5 or so OL players for next season. If they can't touch Nico, they can't hurt Nico, but no one hit Hooker either so....

Has anyone noticed a decided lack of tweets indicating the intentions of UT players planning to enter the portal? I find that curious. I am sure that there will be some but with everyone else seemingly getting their names out there, it seems odd that we haven't had a single player jump on that train.

Using that logic Merk would not have committed and we will not get another QB commit until Nico leaves.

Do you actually think CJH told Merck he wouldn‘t have a shot at the starting job? I would also bet that Nico has been told he has to earn the job in the spring.
The transfer portal is different. HS recruits are factoring in development time and ability to start after Nico leaves. Transfer guys have less eligibility.

Reactions: Glitch
Has anyone noticed a decided lack of tweets indicating the intentions of UT players planning to enter the portal? I find that curious. I am sure that there will be some but with everyone else seemingly getting their names out there, it seems odd that we haven't had a single player jump on that train.
I have been thinking that the coaches need to decide which current players need to move on to make room for the 20 newcomers, plus any incoming transfer guys. Maybe they haven't talked to the players yet?

Merk has 4 years to win the job. A portal QB has 1 or 2.

Of course CJH didn’t tell Merk he didn’t have a shot. He wouldn’t tell a portal QB that, either. Because it’s not true in either case.

a) they’re not making their decisions based solely on what CJH tells them, and b) they’re not looking for a “shot” at this point in their careers. They’re looking for a place that almost guarantees a starting job. That’s why they’re transferring.

Basically, they’re looking for a place that gives them what Nico has at UT.
I agree with you and if you read my later posts I don't think UT should be looking at the upper tier QB"s. My point is I think they need to look for a Gaston Moore type player someone who knows they probably aren't going to win the job but is there as insurance in case of an injury. There has to be a QB out there that knows their playing career is more than likely over but would like to pursue a masters degree or possibly get into the coaching field and CJH has that to offer.

In the dooms day scenario we have an Aaron Rodgers situation and Merk is forced into action in game one and we are faced with the possibility of a 5-7 season that IMO sets the program back several more years.

I agree with you and if you read my later posts I don't think UT should be looking at the upper tier QB"s. My point is I think they need to look for a Gaston Moore type player someone who knows they probably aren't going to win the job but is there as insurance in case of an injury. There has to be a QB out there that knows their playing career is more than likely over but would like to pursue a masters degree or possibly get into the coaching field and CJH has that to offer.

In the dooms day scenario we have an Aaron Rodgers situation and Merk is forced into action in game one and we are faced with the possibility of a 5-7 season that IMO sets the program back several more years.

Gaston Moore hasn’t announced he’s leaving. So maybe he won’t.

So a PWO type? If Gaston Moore stays, we good?

I have been thinking that the coaches need to decide which current players need to move on to make room for the 20 newcomers, plus any incoming transfer guys. Maybe they haven't talked to the players yet?
Heup said they were doing exit interviews Monday and Tuesday, so I thought we might hear from some by today maybe.

I would think if Moore stays we are good. The entire discussion is based on Moore leaving. Maybe he comes back and this is moot point.
To me, that is the best solution. Moore has been in the offense for multiple years and knows how to run it. He may not have skills to make all the throws but I think he could hold down the fort for a few games. Next years offense really hinges on Nico staying healthy. If he gets hurt then expectations will have to be adjusted accordingly.

With the portal opening soon, one would think the player interviews have already taken place.

I agree with your point due to our needs, but there is concern going into next season with a RS freshman and true freshman manning the most important position on the team. It's especially concerning in light of the UT curse with injuries. Pick our most important player and that dude is marked. Problem is that, unlike other positions, only one plays. It's going to be darned near impossible to get a QB from the portal with Nico taking the wheel on offense. Now if he plays in the bowl game and gets seriously injured, UT might be an attractive spot, but unless Milton sits it out, Nico will see a series or two late if he plays at all in a meaningless bowl game. Suspect we'd see Moore before Nico in this one.

Having said that, I'm on record as saying we need 5 or so OL players for next season. If they can't touch Nico, they can't hurt Nico, but no one hit Hooker either so....
This sums up the QB situation perfectly.

Nico has thrown less than 30 passes this season and people think he is a super hero that cannot be topped by anybody in the country. I think he will be a good qb. They won't be able to get the top transfer qbs to come here and compete for it. They could get a qb to come in and compete. Might not be a super highly rated guy that you would drool over. Might be an undersized guy without a rocket arm. Find a guy with good accuracy and football knowledge. If not, our qbs on the 2 deep next year will have a total of less than 30 passes in a college game. 😬
This is what i meant when I said we needed another QB from the portal, but as usual everyone goes sideways... Of course we are not getting a high-tier QB in the portal who's already starting, but there's gonna be several who want another chance somewhere else and are willing to compete for it and may be happy to just be at a better program.

Using that logic Merk would not have committed and we will not get another QB commit until Nico leaves.

Do you actually think CJH told Merck he wouldn‘t have a shot at the starting job? I would also bet that Nico has been told he has to earn the job in the spring.
Merk is a HS recruit. If he were mostly interested in starting right away, he likely wouldn't be committing here. He is committing to the program because he thinks it is the best fit for him. Plain and simple.

Transfer portal recruits are primarily looking for playing time. Sure you got guys big name guys Riley Leonard who are looking for the best NIL deal plus a chance to win a natty, but those guys know they are going to be the top dog. There won't be a competition wherever they go.

It's going to be hard to find a QB with any sort of starting experience willing to come here and compete with Nico. Hopefully Gaston Moore decides to stay on. But if he doesn't, we'll be looking for another QB like him.

Merk is a HS recruit. If he were mostly interested in starting right away, he likely wouldn't be committing here. He is committing to the program because he thinks it is the best fit for him. Plain and simple.

Transfer portal recruits are primarily looking for playing time. Sure you got guys big name guys Riley Leonard who are looking for the best NIL deal plus a chance to win a natty, but those guys know they are going to be the top dog. There won't be a competition wherever they go.

It's going to be hard to find a QB with any sort of starting experience willing to come here and compete with Nico. Hopefully Gaston Moore decides to stay on. But if he doesn't, we'll be looking for another QB like him.
Honestly, I wouldn't sleep on Merklinger. He's mobile and while not a cannon of an arm, it's good enough and he throws a catchable ball. He keeps his eyes downfield but will tuck and run. If he's a quick study, I'd roll with him if Nico goes down vs Moore.

This is what i meant when I said we needed another QB from the portal, but as usual everyone goes sideways... Of course we are not getting a high-tier QB in the portal who's already starting, but there's gonna be several who want another chance somewhere else and are willing to compete for it and may be happy to just be at a better program.
People that lack the understanding of this blow my mind!

Honestly, I wouldn't sleep on Merklinger. He's mobile and while not a cannon of an arm, it's good enough and he throws a catchable ball. He keeps his eyes downfield but will tuck and run. If he's a quick study, I'd roll with him if Nico goes down vs Moore.
I agree with you but would add that if the hypothetical injury were to happen in game 1 I think we would need some one to steady the ship until Merk got acclimated to the college game. If an injury were to happen the expectations would have to be tempered by the fans and some will and some won't.

I think I would view it as we would be giving a young guy lots of valuable experience maybe at the expense of wins and losses but that experience would pay huge dividends in the future.

Moore already has 3 years in this offense. I find it unlikely Merk would be able to lead the offense better so early. Either way, if we have to turn to anyone but Nico in 2024, we're unlikely to be winning a bunch of games with that guy. But that's true of most teams.

Reactions: Leeleesteeth
100% and I just don't think CJH will go after that top tier QB and if he does that tells us all we need to know about Nico. I do think he will look for a guy who knows his playing days are numbered and maybe just wants to enjoy his final year of college playing for an SEC team. How many people get to say I made the roster of an SEC team as a QB? I would be an honor for someone out there to be able to say that.

All that being said, as much as I love Nico, I wouldn't hate it if Dillon Gabriel, Riley Leonard, KJ Jefferson, or Cameron Ward wanted to come here and boost their stats for the 2025 draft. Particularly Gabriel, given that he's already familiar with Huep's offense.

All that being said, as much as I love Nico, I wouldn't hate it if Dillon Gabriel, Riley Leonard, KJ Jefferson, or Cameron Ward wanted to come here and boost their stats for the 2025 draft. Particularly Gabriel, given that he's already familiar with Huep's offense.
I would run up and down Knoxville naked if for some weird lottery type reason we landed Ward.

If you get OL for him, you may win 10 games next year. Dudes that good, imo.

Reactions: ChiTownVol and Carp

VN Store

Back