'24 Transfer Portal

Chances of getting a good QB from portal are slim to none. Nobody wants to come to a new school to be a backup
Who is to say they would sit the bench?? What if the transfer beats out Nico?? I am sure if CJH tells QB he is coming to sit the bench he isn’t going to get one but if he offers an open competition in spring someone is going to jump on that.

Who is to say they would sit the bench?? What if the transfer beats out Nico?? I am sure if CJH tells QB he is coming to sit the bench he isn’t going to get one but if he offers an open competition in spring someone is going to jump on that.
This.

Everyone is so sure Nico is going to be IT. I hope he is, but again, if he gets hurt, you’re looking at Merk or Shuler.

No one any good is going to jump at the opportunity to compete. Any transfer worth taking is going somewhere they are guaranteed to start.

Your KJ Jefferson’s/Riley Leonard’s are not going anywhere that they could potentially not be the starter.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
No one any good is going to jump at the opportunity to compete. Any transfer worth taking is going somewhere they are guaranteed to start.

Your KJ Jefferson’s/Riley Leonard’s are not going anywhere that they could potentially not be the starter.
Using that logic Merk would not have committed and we will not get another QB commit until Nico leaves.

Do you actually think CJH told Merck he wouldn‘t have a shot at the starting job? I would also bet that Nico has been told he has to earn the job in the spring.

True, but don’t see that happening. I’ve been wrong plenty but I don’t see a legit portal QB coming in. Nor do I see anyone beating out Nico.

I didn‘t bring up Riley or KJ and agree we probably don’t have a shot an either of them but I do think we could find another Gaston Moore somewhere.
Yes you might can find a Gaston Moore. But if you’re playing Gaston Moore, you’re not winning any SEC games either.

Let’s go down a scale from Riley and KJ and say Max Johnson. He’s leaving AM because he wants to play. He’s going to go somewhere where he is the heavy favorite to start.

Who's behind Nico if he gets hurt? Need a portal QB.

“Hey, I know you’ve got one year to play, we’ve made it clear we love our RS freshman QB and you almost certainly won’t see the field unless we are up 30, but do you wanna come to the University of Tennessee?”

Really good pitch

I hope Nico is the guy as well but every successful coach knows you can’t put all your eggs in one basket and that is where we are right now.
They literally did it this year with Joe. No other QB was going to play but him.

They literally did it this year with Joe. No other QB was going to play but him.
They had Gaston Moore as an insurance policy if Joe got hurt and Nico couldn’t perform. I am not saying we need to look for someone to take over the starting job but I think we need an insurance policy in the instance Nico gets hurt.

I am fine with riding with Nico and building on the future but if he gets injured and they finish 6-6 or worse there will be a portion of the fan base calling for CJH job.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back