'24 Transfer Portal

I was quoting from Larry’s post on another thread
Not convinced that number is accurate. But admittedly, I could be wrong. Even so, freshmen won't count until they are actually enrolled. So the numbers are currently there to add. 11 0f of our 19 commits are EEs, so they'll be added to the books in January. The other 8 won't count until after the Spring. There is flexibility with the roster.

Not convinced that number is accurate. But admittedly, I could be wrong. Even so, freshmen won't count until they are actually enrolled. So the numbers are currently there to add. 11 0f of our 19 commits are EEs, so they'll be added to the books in January. The other 8 won't count until after the Spring. There is flexibility with the roster.
See my post a few back, we should be at 76 currently

See my post a few back, we should be at 76 currently
I'm bored, so let's break down some numbers.

QB - Nico will be the starter next year, Merk will be backup. Those (currently) will be our only scholarship QBs. So that's 2.

RB - Jabari Small could come back, but speculation suggests he won't. Signs point to Wright going pro. Sampson, Seldon, and Keith should all be back and joined by Lewis. I've never been sure of Bishop's scholarship status, but 247 does not list him as a scholarship player. So, if that's the case, and Small leaves, that puts us at 4.

WR - Keyton will be gone. Hopefully Bru and Thornton are both back. Squirrel, Nimrod, Webb, Leacock, and Spillman will be joined by Matthews and Staley. So with Bru and Thornton, that would make 9.

TE - McCastles and Warren are gone. That leaves Davis and Okoye with no current recruits. So 2.

OT - Jeremiah Crawford is gone. Campbell has already said he will be back. Mincey and Davis can come back, but haven't made their intentions known, I don't believe. Johnson, Grant and Umarov are also still there and will be joined by Warren, Anderson, and Perry. So, that could be 9.

IOL - Lane is gone. Nichols and Clipper have hit the portal. Mays, Spraggins, and Lampley can come back, but have not made their intentions known. That leaves Karic, Reddick, Lang, and Bussell to be joined by Ginther and Satterwhite. So, could be 10.

So, on offense, could be up to 36. Wouldn't be surprised if a few more of those left. I think we could upgrade over Davis and Lampley in the portal.

Now, defense.

Edge - Harrison is gone, and Baron is in the portal. That leaves Pearce, Josephs, Herring and Bradley to be joined by Ross. So 5.

DL - Garland is gone. Big O and Simmons can come back but haven't announced a decision. So then it's ONL, Bailey, Eason, West, Jenkins, Robinson, Hobbs, Duncan, and Weathersby to be joined by Gentle, Lindstrom, and Heard. So, 14.

LB - Beasley is gone. I believe Little Garland is gone as well. Pili has said he's coming back. Herring, Perry, Carter, Telander, and Smith will be joined by Spillman and Burns. So, 8.

CB - Hadden and Dee Williams are gone. Slaughter, Turnage, and Burrell are in the portal. Jeudy-Lally could return but hasn't said. That leaves Rucker, Harrison, Matthews, RGIII, and Conyer to be joined by Beasley and Goree. So, if GJL comes back, 8.

S - Tank is gone. I think Walker could come back, and so could McDonald. Luttrell is in the portal. That leaves Charles, Thomas, Turrentine, and Slaughter to be joined by Boo and Farooq. So, at most, 8.

So, 43 on defense? That would put us at 79. Add the punter, and it's 80. The kicker is out of eligibility. So 80, assuming certain players decide to come back and no one else leaves. And, again, players don't actually count until they're enrolled. Seems like the flexibility should be there.

Hope there is some good news coming for us. Better be if this staff is telling a lot of these xfer portal guys and some already on the roster to look around elsewhere as some are saying on this forum.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Or what?
Will bitch and moan like spoiled children?
No, we will get left behind. Portal is the new way of college football. Seems like our coaches get left behind.

Last years haul was very very meh, if we weren’t afraid of hurting feelings we may have went better than 8-4. Could’ve done better in the portal and got more OL and Secondary guys but nope “we’re fine” you saw how that played out for us, especially those positions.

With a freshmen QB with no experience, I hope Heupel is right about “nope were fine” or if we sign another lackluster portal class, he will fall even more behind.

Loyalty isn’t bad, blind loyalty is.

This year it’s gonna be “nope we’re fine” at multiple positions, and once next season rolls around we will see posters bitch about “why didn’t we hit the portal harder” we heard it a ton this year.

“Bama, UGA, OSU aren’t using it” yeah well they have 50+ five stars on their roster, that’s the difference.

We. Aren’t. Good. Enough. To. Say. “We’re fine” or “we’re happy with what we have”

No, we will get left behind. Portal is the new way of college football. Seems like our coaches get left behind.

Last years haul was very very meh, if we weren’t afraid of hurting feelings we may have went better than 8-4. Could’ve done better in the portal and got more OL and Secondary guys but nope “we’re fine” you saw how that played out for us, especially those positions.

With a freshmen QB with no experience, I hope Heupel is right about “nope were fine” or if we sign another lackluster portal class, he will fall even more behind.

Loyalty isn’t bad, blind loyalty is.

This year it’s gonna be “nope we’re fine” at multiple positions, and once next season rolls around we will see posters bitch about “why didn’t we hit the portal harder” we heard it a ton this year.

“Bama, UGA, OSU aren’t using it” yeah well they have 50+ five stars on their roster, that’s the difference.

We. Aren’t. Good. Enough. To. Say. “We’re fine” or “we’re happy with what we have”
Left behind?
When did we catch up?

That’s the catch though isn’t it.
How do you get to where you don’t need the portal with limited spots if you keep using the portal instead of building a team?

Left behind?
When did we catch up?

How do you get to where you don’t need the portal with limited spots if you keep using the portal instead of building a team?
You realize we’ve won 20 games the past two season…right? What do you mean “when did we catch up?” Guess you missed the last 15 years, and then the last two seasons.

Using the portal is building a team, wtf are you talking about?

Last edited:
Left behind?
When did we catch up?

Recruiting the portal isn't really all that different than recruiting from high school. Good players are good players, it doesn't matter where you get them from. Not sure how adding good players isn't building a team.

Quick quiz
A Coach should always
A. Ask the opinion of the fanbase
B. Keep the fanbase in the loop
C. Let the fanbase make personnel decisions.
D. None of the above

We have no idea what's going on in the offices to claim someone is dragging their feet, complacent or any of the other crap some of you people constantly throw out. I'm sure Norman-Lott was a "must get" this time last year.

You realize we’ve won 20 games the past two season…right? What do you mean “when did we catch up?” Guess you missed the last 15 years, and then the last two seasons.

Using the portal is building a team, wtf are you talking about?
Quite the opposite actually. I’m in no hurry to return to the last 20 years before Coach Hypel and think he’s the best shot we have at “catching up “ but have not gotten there yet.

Recruiting the portal isn't really all that different than recruiting from high school. Good players are good players, it doesn't matter where you get them from. Not sure how adding good players isn't building a team.
It’s worlds apart actually. That’s why the people were trying to catch do it so rarely

Reactions: volfan411
Oh my god, talking to y’all is like talking to a wall.

The best teams other than UGA, Bama, and OSU use the portal, plain and simple. They have 40+ five stars on each of their rosters. It’s a lot easier for them to be successful and not use the portal.

EVERY TOP 10 team and Ole Miss WHO IS 11th have over ten transfers in their two deep!

Which teams besides those 3 outliers “uSe iT rArELy”

They do it so rarely because their rosters are already stacked. And when they do need something, they go to the portal and get the best.
He’s talking about the 3 outliers UGA, Bama and OSU. Why? Because it’s fits his argument .

They have 40+ five stars. They have way more leeway than any other team.

He’s being the typical fan that praises every coach like they can’t do anything wrong

Oh my god, talking to y’all is like talking to a wall.

The best teams other than UGA, Bama, and OSU use the portal, plain and simple. They have 40+ five stars on each of their rosters. It’s a lot easier for them to be successful and not use the portal.

EVERY TOP 10 team and Ole Miss WHO IS 11th have over ten transfers in their two deep!

Which teams besides those 3 outliers “uSe iT rArELy”
And it seems ut has been really passive so far in the portal too, which is really concerning. Hell, even Kentucky has been making bigger moves in the portal than us to this point

And it seems ut has been really passive so far in the portal too, which is really concerning. Hell, even Kentucky has been making bigger moves in the portal than us to this point
They make fun of UK and their QB that has two passing yards.

Yet those same fans were hyping up Milton being all world when he first transferred here.

Funny. I bet Brock does well and has a very comparable career to Milton.

They were making fun of the WR as well, meanwhile a couple weeks ago, posters were saying Raymond would be a good pickup 😭😭

Their transfers aren’t even impact players.

But yeah, they’re killing it.

They’ll take another loss to us next year too.

Reactions: HeadVol77

VN Store

Back