'24 Transfer Portal

I’m pissy today.
A couple of unbelievable tragedies to people I know over the weekend has me a little less lighthearted than normal
I gotcha. Sorry to hear that. Just read about another one that happened to one of our fellow VN posters on another forum. Makes it even more difficult around this time of year with the Holidays here or around the corner. Prayers for ya, man.

This!

I cannot understand all the whining about us not pursuing more players in the portal when spots are severely limited. At least currently.
I assume you feel there aren’t better players in the portal than the ones on our current roster. I don’t know about that.

Kind of same thing though. 3 phases of recruiting now days. HS, Portal, your current roster.

You got to be recruiting all 3 phases all the time.

Yeah I mean personally I don’t mind it but there seems to be a LARGE contingent of posters that think giving to spyre will make Vols recruit with UGA and Bama. And they turn this place toxic when we miss on high end recruits.

Maybe spyre should dumb it down for them and explain we have to recruit our own roster instead of jumping in recruit threads and attempting to fundraise every chance they get. Just a suggestion 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: DarthVol1
No, we will get left behind. Portal is the new way of college football. Seems like our coaches get left behind.

Last years haul was very very meh, if we weren’t afraid of hurting feelings we may have went better than 8-4. Could’ve done better in the portal and got more OL and Secondary guys but nope “we’re fine” you saw how that played out for us, especially those positions.

With a freshmen QB with no experience, I hope Heupel is right about “nope were fine” or if we sign another lackluster portal class, he will fall even more behind.

Loyalty isn’t bad, blind loyalty is.

This year it’s gonna be “nope we’re fine” at multiple positions, and once next season rolls around we will see posters bitch about “why didn’t we hit the portal harder” we heard it a ton this year.

“Bama, UGA, OSU aren’t using it” yeah well they have 50+ five stars on their roster, that’s the difference.

We. Aren’t. Good. Enough. To. Say. “We’re fine” or “we’re happy with what we have”
Instead of shooting your load early, several more who are not in the portal yet will go in. Maybe wait and make sure you get the best players once you know who they all will be.

I assume you feel there aren’t better players in the portal than the ones on our current roster. I don’t know about that.

I didn’t say that, I’m sure there are. Right now we don’t know who else is leaving that would even open up spots to pursue transfers.

Reactions: xston
If we only have 3 spots, why do posters keep freaking out about not adding from the portal? Sure seems like we have to be super selective deciding on which groups to add to with those 3 spots. Obviously TE is one. If we take 1 TE from portal, then 2 spots left. That’s it
⬆️ THIS!!!

Yes. There's no use adding players just for the purpose of adding players only to need them to leave next year to make room for better players. We're, hopefully, targeting our needs. Depth can be built through highschool recruiting, not necessarily portal transfers. I trust this staff even if they do not make a big splash in the portal.
This. Build the program through HS and use the portal to fill holes created from injuries and attrition from the unexpected transfer or disciplinary actions.

If we only have 3 spots, why do posters keep freaking out about not adding from the portal? Sure seems like we have to be super selective deciding on which groups to add to with those 3 spots. Obviously TE is one. If we take 1 TE from portal, then 2 spots left. That’s it
TE, Walter Nolen, Juice Wells. See it is as easy as it looks

Reactions: HalfullVol
Exactly
So how do you bridge that?
You have limited spots. Do you take a one year guy or an incoming freshman? With the one year guy you may be setting yourself up to be doing this same desperate dance next year.
Only you don't take a freshman just to fill a roster spot. If we could fill up on high school recruits with great potential (as judged by the coaches, not the recruiting sites), we'd have full classes. But we don't. We're sitting at 19 recruits with some pressing needs. So how do we fix that? Since we've been unable to from the high school ranks, you look to the portal. If we had 25 or more good commits from the high school ranks, fewer people would be worried. Especially if we were ranked top 8 or better. But we don't have that. So how do we bridge that? It's called the recruiting portal. So maybe we bring in a one-year guy that can make a difference THIS year while we try to recruit his replacement in the next class because we missed on the guy we had targeted to begin with.

Reactions: HalfullVol
We have more than 3 spots, though. A player doesn't count until they're actually enrolled. The sad fact is, there are some players we need to encourage not to come back or to transfer. And I hate saying that, but in order for this team to get better, we need them to move on. Also, though, some of the guys who haven't announced may not intend on using their last year. Guys like Lampley and/or Davis could decide to move on.

We have more than 3 spots, though. A player doesn't count until they're actually enrolled. The sad fact is, there are some players we need to encourage not to come back or to transfer. And I hate saying that, but in order for this team to get better, we need them to move on. Also, though, some of the guys who haven't announced may not intend on using their last year. Guys like Lampley and/or Davis could decide to move on.

This is the reality for sure and some here don’t wanna accept it.

I wouldn't consider any of our portal entries for a return including Baron. I'd also give these fence sitters a deadline to announce their intentions. Can't sit around waiting for a few weeks for a kid to make his mind up.

VN Store

Back