'24 Transfer Portal

If that's the case...AGAIN...and Heupel doesn't send him packing, I'll have zero confidence in his judgment. Baron has been consistently inconsistent. He's prone to stupid penalties, too. He's solid enough that he can find a new home so I don't think that's a problem. Just tired of kids playing games like this. Once I can understand, but there's been at least one, if not two, episodes of him making noise about leaving. Move on already. I've seen the list of our portal guys. I've also seen the roster numbers and have an inkling of our needs from the portal for next season. There wouldn't be a single player from that list that I'd allow back on the team. We need every slot and we need to have kids who want to be at UT. No patience or time for a player who seemingly has one foot out the door every single year.
I'd be okay if Heupel didn't send him packing, as long as he didn't meet any new demands. Something like:

Baron: "I need X more than I got last year."
Heupel: "No. You're welcome to come back for what you got last year. Take it or leave it."

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy Antrim
I'm bored, so let's break down some numbers.

QB - Nico will be the starter next year, Merk will be backup. Those (currently) will be our only scholarship QBs. So that's 2.

RB - Jabari Small could come back, but speculation suggests he won't. Signs point to Wright going pro. Sampson, Seldon, and Keith should all be back and joined by Lewis. I've never been sure of Bishop's scholarship status, but 247 does not list him as a scholarship player. So, if that's the case, and Small leaves, that puts us at 4.

WR - Keyton will be gone. Hopefully Bru and Thornton are both back. Squirrel, Nimrod, Webb, Leacock, and Spillman will be joined by Matthews and Staley. So with Bru and Thornton, that would make 9.

TE - McCastles and Warren are gone. That leaves Davis and Okoye with no current recruits. So 2.

OT - Jeremiah Crawford is gone. Campbell has already said he will be back. Mincey and Davis can come back, but haven't made their intentions known, I don't believe. Johnson, Grant and Umarov are also still there and will be joined by Warren, Anderson, and Perry. So, that could be 9.

IOL - Lane is gone. Nichols and Clipper have hit the portal. Mays, Spraggins, and Lampley can come back, but have not made their intentions known. That leaves Karic, Reddick, Lang, and Bussell to be joined by Ginther and Satterwhite. So, could be 10.

So, on offense, could be up to 36. Wouldn't be surprised if a few more of those left. I think we could upgrade over Davis and Lampley in the portal.

Now, defense.

Edge - Harrison is gone, and Baron is in the portal. That leaves Pearce, Josephs, Herring and Bradley to be joined by Ross. So 5.

DL - Garland is gone. Big O and Simmons can come back but haven't announced a decision. So then it's ONL, Bailey, Eason, West, Jenkins, Robinson, Hobbs, Duncan, and Weathersby to be joined by Gentle, Lindstrom, and Heard. So, 14.

LB - Beasley is gone. I believe Little Garland is gone as well. Pili has said he's coming back. Herring, Perry, Carter, Telander, and Smith will be joined by Spillman and Burns. So, 8.

CB - Hadden and Dee Williams are gone. Slaughter, Turnage, and Burrell are in the portal. Jeudy-Lally could return but hasn't said. That leaves Rucker, Harrison, Matthews, RGIII, and Conyer to be joined by Beasley and Goree. So, if GJL comes back, 8.

S - Tank is gone. I think Walker could come back, and so could McDonald. Luttrell is in the portal. That leaves Charles, Thomas, Turrentine, and Slaughter to be joined by Boo and Farooq. So, at most, 8.

So, 43 on defense? That would put us at 79. Add the punter, and it's 80. The kicker is out of eligibility. So 80, assuming certain players decide to come back and no one else leaves. And, again, players don't actually count until they're enrolled. Seems like the flexibility should be there.
De'Shawn Rucker has entered the portal, so that's one less CB.

If you took the guys from the portal and made this team, how do y’all think it would do in the SEC ?

QB: Cam Ward
RB: Trevor Etienne / Marcus Carroll
WR: Deion Burks / Julian Fleming / Juice
Wells
TE: Holden Staes / Justin Joly
OL: LT - Alan Herron
LG - Zach Carpenter
C - Zeke Correll
RG - Justin Mayers
RT - Chase Bisontis

DL: Leo - Fadil Diggs
DT - Walker Nolen
NT - Joey Slackman
Edge - Trey Moore

LB: Chris Paul / Leon Lowery Jr.
Secondary:
LCB - Nyland Green
Safety - Andrew Mukuba
Safety - Akili Arnold
RCB - Toriano Pride

After kind of going through the portal, I found myself going “wow this is it?” Not really super impressed with any of the OL guys currently in.

Wasn’t thrilled with any of the LBs either.

I definitely think there’s some guys in the secondary that are still uncommitted that could helped this team, Nyland Green would be a quick call.

Tons of good playmakers in the portal though.

If you took the guys from the portal and made this team, how do y’all think it would do in the SEC ?

QB: Cam Ward
RB: Trevor Etienne / Marcus Carroll
WR: Deion Burks / Julian Fleming / Juice
Wells
TE: Holden Staes / Justin Joly
OL: LT - Alan Herron
LG - Zach Carpenter
C - Zeke Correll
RG - Justin Mayers
RT - Chase Bisontis

DL: Leo - Fadil Diggs
DT - Walker Nolen
NT - Joey Slackman
Edge - Trey Moore

LB: Chris Paul / Leon Lowery Jr.
Secondary:
LCB - Nyland Green
Safety - Andrew Mukuba
Safety - Akili Arnold
RCB - Toriano Pride

After kind of going through the portal, I found myself going “wow this is it?” Not really super impressed with any of the OL guys currently in.

Wasn’t thrilled with any of the LBs either.

I definitely think there’s some guys in the secondary that are still uncommitted that could helped this team, Nyland Green would be a quick call.

Tons of good playmakers in the portal though.
I'd take Chase Bisontis for our OL. Add him and an OT and I'd feel better about our OL depth next year.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
We have more than 3 spots, though. A player doesn't count until they're actually enrolled. The sad fact is, there are some players we need to encourage not to come back or to transfer. And I hate saying that, but in order for this team to get better, we need them to move on. Also, though, some of the guys who haven't announced may not intend on using their last year. Guys like Lampley and/or Davis could decide to move on.
You will see 6-8 more enter or leave on their own (draft, etc.).

I believe we will take something like this before next season:

WR: 1-2
TE: 2
OL: 2-4
DL: 1
DB: 4

Reactions: volsfan_17
I'd take Chase Bisontis for our OL. Add him and an OT and I'd feel better about our OL depth next year.
AP did say we would take swings at Ramsey and Brazzell, those are good players. Ramsey reminds me of a faster Tank.

Need secondary more guys. May start to see more offers now that another from UT is leaving

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Can someone direct me to the thread that tracks our portal losses?

I try to update it if the OP doesn't

Reactions: Vol8188
AP did say we would take swings at Ramsey and Brazzell, those are good players. Ramsey reminds me of a faster Tank.

Need secondary more guys. May start to see more offers now that another from UT is leaving
We need at least four good DBs. Two corners and two safeties. Maybe more. That unit has not been good and we need them to fix it immediately to compete. DL and LB will be fine next year.

Reactions: TitanicVolz
We need at least four good DBs. Two corners and two safeties. Maybe more. That unit has not been good and we need them to fix it immediately to compete. DL and LB will be fine next year.
No one really impressive in the portal, other than Ramsey and Arnold at safety. Arnold prob going to Michigan St.

After that at safety it’s kind of meh. Same with DB. Nyland Green, then meh

Get Green and Ramsey, maybe one more.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
You will see 6-8 more enter or leave on their own (draft, etc.).

I believe we will take something like this before next season:

WR: 1-2
TE: 2
OL: 2-4
DL: 1
DB: 4
That's probably a little more than I would think from the portal, especially since they're still trying to add to the recruiting class. I would love to add another experienced LB, but doubt they do. Chris Paul would have been a great addition, but he committed to Ole Miss. Do you think we look for another rental kicker?

I think Bisontis could potentially slot in at guard starting opposite of Spraggins. Think he's being projected to LSU, but we could use him here.

That's probably a little more than I would think from the portal, especially since they're still trying to add to the recruiting class. I would love to add another experienced LB, but doubt they do. Chris Paul would have been a great addition, but he committed to Ole Miss. Do you think we look for another rental kicker?
Maybe less is they will then with signees such as the juco LB and juco DL. And anything is possible.

VN Store

Back