'22 TU Transfer WR Chris Brazzell (Tennessee)

This is a much better pick up than Thornton. A 3 year guy who has produced. I will be very curious to see what happens out of the bowl game then out of spring practice for our WR room. Let’s face it Thornton isn’t going to beat out Nimrod or Webb but are both going to hang around until their 4th years in college to see significant PT and at that point one of them will be the odd man out.

This was one reason I wasn’t a big fan of bringing in Thornton. He was not a proven player and took away opportunities for some guys already on campus to develop and show what they could do. It was a set back for our room with no reward in production.
Why isn’t Thornton going to beat out Nimrod or Webb? He was ahead of them on the depth chart when he got hurt. He was starting to play well once he was moved to his natural position outside instead of slot. I think Thornton may have a big year in 2024.

Thornton has shown flashes. Its my understanding that WR's are asked to do a lot in this offense, could explain some negative recruiting for HSers and why we hadnt, until 2024, landed those elite guys.

Thornton showed flashes when moved outside. Just checked, apparently he runs 24 mph. Interesting. Truly only seen him truly separate himself on seam or slant routes. With his size, and athleticism if he could learn to play like a former basketball player who's a football player, he would be NFL material.

View attachment 604162
To me, that's a basketball player playing football.

Give the dude another year of committed S&C in Div 1 program. Let him learn how to fight off M2M, and use that posterior over the middle.

How many times have players in this system taken a year to blossom?
I don’t disagree with the taking more than a year to blossom in this system notion but as a transfer you don’t have time and have to produce. He flat up didn’t produce vs. other transfers first years in the system:

Velus Jones - 62 catches 802 yds
Bru McCoy - 52 catches 662 yds
Donte Thornton - 13 catches 224 yds

He has all of the talent in the world but it just hasn’t translated to production on the field. Fun fact Thornton has 39 catches for 765 yds in his career. Squirrel White had 64 catches for 764 yds last season. He’s just not that good fellas.

Why isn’t Thornton going to beat out Nimrod or Webb? He was ahead of them on the depth chart when he got hurt. He was starting to play well once he was moved to his natural position outside instead of slot. I think Thornton may have a big year in 2024.
He was just as productive as Nimrod with more opportunity. Nimrod had 4 more catches than Thornton and 50 less yds both had 1 TD. Nimrod was the first one off the bench in Brus spot while Thornton was disappearing. Thornton has a significant talent advantage no doubt but talent is pointless if you cant produce

I don’t disagree with the taking more than a year to blossom in this system notion but as a transfer you don’t have time and have to produce. He flat up didn’t produce vs. other transfers first years in the system:

He has all of the talent in the world but it just hasn’t translated to production on the field. Fun fact Thornton has 39 catches for 765 yds in his career. Squirrel White had 64 catches for 764 yds last season. He’s just not that good fellas.
As soon as they moved him outside he started to produce the way we wanted then he got hurt.

He was turning the corner. UK, one half against UConn and one half against Mizzou he had 5 catches for 135 yards.

That's basically 5 catches 135 yards in two games.

Lol

Lol
DT was injured all season and learning a new system
How we’re nimrod and Webb better then him
DT ceiling is way higher then either one of theirs…..
Plus the staff had Thorton playing out of position. He is an outside guy not an inside WR. I think Thorton has a bounce back year this season if he stays.

With Will Fritz’s rep, I’m surprised Brazzell was the leading receiver but only had 711 yards and the 5 TDs. They had a 1200 yard rusher and that seemed to be the focus. The second leading receiver did have 599 and 7 TDs so maybe some of our fans preference for more rotation was in play. What may have sold us is Heupel’s penchant for feeding his stars. Could definitely see a Tiilman/Hyatt season if Nico gets dialed on to him.

As soon as they moved him outside he started to produce the way we wanted then he got hurt.

He was turning the corner. UK, one half against UConn and one half against Mizzou he had 5 catches for 135 yards.

That's basically 5 catches 135 yards in two games.
I don’t know if I would call 2 catches for 26 yds against UConn turning the corner. He did have his 1 good game against UK and made a good catch against Mizzou.

The same could be said for Nimrod as he had 5 catches for 44 yds against UGA which is much more impressive than Thorntons 3 for 63 against UK.

They are pretty much even. Do you invest in the rising RS-Soph who has 3 more years or a rising SR who has 1 more year. I give the opportunities to Nimrod but that’s just me.

I don’t know if I would call 2 catches for 26 yds against UConn turning the corner. He did have his 1 good game against UK and made a good catch against Mizzou.

The same could be said for Nimrod as he had 5 catches for 44 yds against UGA which is much more impressive than Thorntons 3 for 63 against UK.

They are pretty much even. Do you invest in the rising RS-Soph who has 3 more years or a rising SR who has 1 more year. I give the opportunities to Nimrod but that’s just me.
OMG! He knock up your girlfriend or something?

He had a problem dropping passes and wasn't reliable enough to get on the field a lot until later in the season. He was more effective on the outside and thinks started to click for him before he got hurt. You know...there was another receiver who had trouble catching the ball and didn't see the field much during Heupel's first season. His name was Jalin Hyatt.

Well those 2 for 26 were just from a couple drives really. The first team didn't get much run in that one. You can't just ignore that Donte was a different player after they put him outside. You don't give up on him after that, especially when he's that talented. Makes zero sense.

I'll be surprised if Nimrod and Webb don't eventually transfer.

This. Thorton is the most athletic guy in the WR room, even with Brazzell. He had some nagging injuries early and would have really come on strong on the outside after Brus injury if he didn’t get hurt at mizzou.

Nimrod and Webb are option 3 type players.

Well those 2 for 26 were just from a couple drives really. The first team didn't get much run in that one. You can't just ignore that Donte was a different player after they put him outside. You don't give up on him after that, especially when he's that talented. Makes zero sense.

I'll be surprised if Nimrod and Webb don't eventually transfer.
If the staff felt like Thornton was turning the corner in we wouldn’t even know who Brazzell is right now. If Bru returns and Brazzell is here Thornton is at best the 3rd option on the outside and he is going to have to show something in the first couple of games to keep that spot.

I am right there with you on Nimrod and Webb. They aren’t in this spot if you don’t bring in Thornton. There is a very real chance we will lose 3 of the 5 HS recruited WRs from the 22 and 23 classes leaving Squirrel and Spillman as the only ones left. That is not going to bode well for recruiting the position moving forward.

BOOM! Just in time for Christmas.
iu

OMG! He knock up your girlfriend or something?
Lol I felt like it wasn’t the smartest decision when they brought him in because it would take away opportunities for Webb/Nimrod/Leacock to grow for a guy that wasn’t productive and got passed up by younger guys at Oregon.

They took a risk and it has hurt for only 224 yds and 1 TD of production.

Just want wide receivers who catch the ball especially when CJH has schemed them wide open! How many first downs or fourth down drive extending or TDs were dropped last year😡
Dont want to throw too much shade or unequally place blame. But, WR was a liability last year.

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back