'22 TU Transfer WR Chris Brazzell (Tennessee)

Again, change your perspective. The biggest obstacle to success is not adapting. This ain’t 1995. And you’re talking as if this thing has been around for decades. Usually the first one to do anything is ridiculed until it becomes the norm. Instead of saying this has never been done, think, damn maybe there is a new way this can be done.
The game is different. Not just slightly different, it’s completely different.
Top 3 recruiting classes in the last 3 years have lost more than a 25% of their 4 and 5 stars to the portal.
Thats not a blip, it’s a trend.
What quicker way to turn things around then to snag some guys who have experience at the level you’re trying to reach?
The point I’m making has nothing to do with quickness. I agree with you on quickness. If the goal is natty in two years, sure target only portal players and point your resources that direction. But in order to have long term, sustainable success, you have to have a base to build on, hence HS recruits. I would much rather have a long term plan that sees success for a solid decade than one year of strong run followed by years of mediocrity because all those guys left after 1 year and there was nothing in the reserves to step up and maintain the success.

What Deion is doing in Colorado may work for Colorado now, but once he bolts to a bigger and better brand, what happens to Colorado then? If Saban leaves tomorrow, unless they just hire some Butch 3.0 (Beamer is 2.0), then the guy is set up for immediate success and has a solid foundation to build on. Can the same be said of whoever follows Deion in 2 years if he’s just been shopping portal and not HS?

Edit: hit reply in accident before I was done. But meant to say…so yes, you’re correct. It is about perspective but I’d also say it’s about what your main goal is: immediate success or long term sustainability?

Reactions: Godfatha
The point I’m making has nothing to do with quickness. I agree with you on quickness. If the goal is natty in two years, sure target only portal players and point your resources that direction. But in order to have long term, sustainable success, you have to have a base to build on, hence HS recruits. I would much rather have a long term plan that sees success for a solid decade than one year of strong run followed by years of mediocrity because all those guys left after 1 year and there was nothing in the reserves to step up and maintain the success.

What Deion is doing in Colorado may work for Colorado now, but once he bolts to a bigger and better brand, what happens to Colorado then? If Saban leaves tomorrow, unless they just hire some Butch 3.0 (Beamer is 2.0), then the guy is set up for immediate success and has a solid foundation to build on. Can the same be said of whoever follows Deion in 2 years if he’s just been shopping portal and not HS?

Edit: hit reply in accident before I was done. But meant to say…so yes, you’re correct. It is about perspective but I’d also say it’s about what your main goal is: immediate success or long term sustainability?
Yeah I think if Deion leaves, the next guy is probably walking into a similar situation or worse than what even Heupel came into.

Forrest Gump Wave GIFs | Tenor
Solid gold my guy. Knew I could count on you.

Different, yes. And the portal will play a role, yes. I doubt that championship caliber teams will be built off of one year rentals though. Two or three year guys, perhaps, but it takes time build chemistry and practice time is limited in CFB.
I didn’t say anyone was going to win national titles with it and especially not with one year transfers.
But there are plenty of multi year eligibility kids in the portal.
Winning doesn’t mean winning the Natty. Realistically, how many different teams are really competing for a national title ? It’s 3 or 4 tops. Everyone else, us included are just trying to win 8-10 games and create revenue for the school and networks.

I didn’t say anyone was going to win national titles with it and especially not with one year transfers.
But there are plenty of multi year eligibility kids in the portal.
Winning doesn’t mean winning the Natty. Realistically, how many different teams are really competing for a national title ? It’s 3 or 4 tops. Everyone else, us included are just trying to win 8-10 games and create revenue for the school and networks.
So if the teams that win the championship don't use the portal to do so, then it seems like the portal isn't as important as you suggest.

So if the teams that win the championship don't use the portal to do so, then it seems like the portal isn't as important as you suggest.
Not at all.
Those teams DO use the portal to win. They just haven’t had to reach to do full rebuilds. Those coaches have been entrenched in their jobs for years, been able to bring their guys.
But even with them being as good as they were/are, they’re still accepting portal guys.
Georgia took 4 last year and Bama took 5.

The hardest thing for humans to do is accept change. This is no different. 2023 Football looks nothing like 2000 football. On the field, administration wise and recruiting wise.

There used to be teams bringing in 10-12 JUCO players a cycle escpecially out west just to to compete. The portal is just a 2024 remix

He just signed an extension at Ole Piss
Kiffin will pretty much sign an extension every offseason at Ole Miss. Mississippi state laws prevent state employees (including football coaches) from having a contract longer than a certain number of years. I forget what the number is, but as long as Kiffin is there and successful, he'll have an extension each offseason.

Signing an extension at OM should be seen in different light than other schools/states.

The hardest thing for humans to do is accept change. This is no different. 2023 Football looks nothing like 2000 football. On the field, administration wise and recruiting wise.

There used to be teams bringing in 10-12 JUCO players a cycle escpecially out west just to to compete. The portal is just a 2024 remix
I'm just looking forward to when you can recruit the other team's players for the 2nd half. Talk about half-time adjustments.

VN Store

Back