'24 TX OT Bennett Warren (Tennessee)

Michigan sucks. Education is not superior that is nonsense. Perception of education at Michigan is better up north as they see all things southern negatively. Yankees and Canadians(Michigan) suck in general.
UT ranks #156 53 (correction per @SSVol 's note) among public universities. Michigan is #3.

I don't think Warren would get an inferior education or lack challenge at UT.

However, facts are still facts and regardless of how you feel about "yankees and Canadians"... The U of Michigan is a very good school.

https://www.usnews.com/best-college...ties/top-public?_sort=rank&_sortDirection=asc

Last edited:
UT ranks #156 among public universities. Michigan is #3.

However, facts are still facts and regardless of how you feel about "yankees and Canadians"... The U of Michigan is a very good school.

https://www.usnews.com/best-college...ties/top-public?_sort=rank&_sortDirection=asc

Yes. But what is the criteria that determines this? I’m sure it is a good academic school. It wouldn’t be a place I would feel comfortable or want my kids attending. They’ve had one US President and I count two billionaires. Again I’m sure it’s a fine school but I’m skeptical of the bias of whomever determines this.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I literally had to stop and look at the top of page to remember which thread I was in, at the least had to figure it was an athlete from the sucky state of meechigan!

Reactions: #Vol4Life1991
UT ranks #156 among public universities. Michigan is #3.

According to the list you cited, UT is tied for #53. Pretty big disparity from #53 to #156.

I would also love to know exactly how such lists are ranked. Only marginally more scientific than a BigGameBoomer list?

Reactions: Volunteer821
What was that study based on? Did it say funded by the University of Michigan? LOL
I provided the link. It isn't really in great question. Regardless of what you think about other things, Michigan has long been considered one of the top academic public universities in the country. I have no tether to the school or Michigan. Ignorance just isn't any more flattering to our fanbase as any other.

According to the list you cited, UT is tied for #53. Pretty big disparity from #53 to #156.

I would also love to know exactly how such lists are ranked. Only marginally more scientific than a BigGameBoomer list?
Thanks for the correction. I think it was number 156 overall. Sorry for the error.

There's still a pretty significant gap from #3 to # 53.

Yes. But what is the criteria that determines this? I’m sure it is a good academic school. It wouldn’t be a place I would feel comfortable or want my kids attending. They’ve had one US President and I count two billionaires. Again I’m sure it’s a fine school but I’m skeptical of the bias of whomever determines this.
If UT was #3 and Michigan #whatever, would you still be skeptical?

UT is a great school. Accepts 4/5 applicants.
Michigan accepts 1/5 applicants.

The academic standard just to be accepted is higher. As for the education once arriving on campus, no idea bc Idk how they measure these rankings.

I do know that Univ of Michigan is known as a highly respected research institution and I’d assume that plays a role in rankings. Also those devoted to research are not likely to become billionaires.

Reactions: sonofUT62
Thanks for the correction. I think it was number 156 overall. Sorry for the error.

There's still a pretty significant gap from #3 to # 53.

Maybe. What's the difference between the top 100? 50%? 5%? 0.5%? And what are they actually measuring? Without more information you really know nothing at all.

Regardless...it's Michigan. Dirty Gray Snow for months. I lived in Minnesota for several years. Professional Grade Cold. Just miserable. Couldn't wait to get back south.

Maybe. What's the difference between the top 100? 50%? 5%? 0.5%? And what are they actually measuring? Without more information you really know nothing at all.

Regardless...it's Michigan. Dirty Gray Snow for months. I lived in Minnesota for several years. Professional Grade Cold. Just miserable. Couldn't wait to get back south.
I provided the link. They spell out how they evaluate schools.

Reactions: VolByLaw

The academic standard just to be accepted is higher. As for the education once arriving on campus, no idea bc Idk how they measure these rankings.

I do know that Univ of Michigan is known as a highly respected research institution and I’d assume that plays a role in rankings. Also those devoted to research are not likely to become billionaires.

No I didn’t go to UT. I think ETSU is the greatest academic school in the country. 😀

Okay.

Young athlete from TX wants a great education and is considering MI.

After he visits MI during the colder season he might reconsider and hopefully he doesn't sign until February. This will allow him to experience that "professional grade cold" multiple times and make a more informed decision in relation to the weather conditions one must endure there.

Maybe he should consider some Ivy League schools as well.

What about Vanderbilt?!

I kid, I kid, lol

No I didn’t go to UT. I think ETSU is the greatest academic school in the country. 😀

Actually MTSU has attained the highest academic standing in the country.

Wait, I got that mixed up with one of the top party schools in the nation according to some Playboy magazine poll in the late 70's.

Academics were okay if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
This an absurd post.

Why do I feel like you’ve got a rebel flag bumper sticker.
The irony...I spent most of my life working all over this country, a lot of it up north (Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin...); and, I saw more rebel flags in those places than I ever have here in the south...especially in places like Michigan, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

What made it even more strange, is so many of them still like to brag about defeating the south.

Dumbsh!ts are everywhere...many, here on this board.

Reactions: hooter vol
I provided the link. They spell out how they evaluate schools.

I missed the methodology link.

I didn't read in detail, but spent a few minutes scanning. As a student in general, and particularly as a scholarship student athlete, my primary care-about would be how well the education prepares me for a career and what my earning expectation should be for a particular degree. I didn't see anything like that in the ranking criteria, which I find really surprising. People like to refer to these lists as the basis for quality of the education, but that doesn't appear to be what they are measuring.

I missed the methodology link.

I didn't read in detail, but spent a few minutes scanning. As a student in general, and particularly as a scholarship student athlete, my primary care-about would be how well the education prepares me for a career and what my earning expectation should be for a particular degree. I didn't see anything like that in the ranking criteria, which I find really surprising. People like to refer to these lists as the basis for quality of the education, but that doesn't appear to be what they are measuring.
Yeah. I don't think it is perfect either. I'm particularly not sure how relevant acceptance rates are.

Adding starting salary et al though might not be fair either. If someone graduates from UT and gets a good job in Nashville then they're likely going to make less for a lot of reasons than a Michigan grad working in Chicago.

Not anymore, estimated to be 2/5 for 2023

Acceptance rate plummets by nearly 30% in most competitive year in UT history

Football has made it difficult to get in, but what changed was number of applicants not education post acceptance.

All the UT vs UM acceptance rates prove by themselves is how popular university is not how good the education is once your in.

Not anymore, estimated to be 2/5 for 2023

Acceptance rate plummets by nearly 30% in most competitive year in UT history

Football has made it difficult to get in, but what changed was number of applicants not education post acceptance.

All the UT vs UM acceptance rates prove by themselves is how popular university is not how good the education is once your in.
I think US News tries to factor it in with other things. Population also factors into acceptance rates as does the number of other schools in state that attract students. Memphis may not be a "great" school but it is very convenient to a large part of the state's population. MTSU also.

Michigan has about 3 million more people overall and most of them live within 1-2 hours of Ann Arbor.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
I think US News tries to factor it in with other things. Population also factors into acceptance rates as does the number of other schools in state that attract students. Memphis may not be a "great" school but it is very convenient to a large part of the state's population. MTSU also.

Michigan has about 3 million more people overall and most of them live within 1-2 hours of Ann Arbor.
Where is Perdue listed. One of my relatives was the "Dean of Admissions " at Michigan, Michigan State and Perdue. I would take Perdue over either of the Michigan schools.

Where is Perdue listed. One of my relatives was the "Dean of Admissions " at Michigan, Michigan State and Perdue. I would take Perdue over either of the Michigan schools.
They're on the list somewhere in the teens. They would probably rate higher if the focus was on engineering and hard sciences.

VN Store

Back