Tyler Bray: "I may have stayed at TN, if I known that I wouldn't be drafted"

America never ever has made sense with things like this because we refuse to learn from the past. Alcohol was legalized and taxed. What we get? Ruined lives, car deaths whether collisions or crushing pedestrians, and lately incidents of airline pilots working while intoxicated. I have witnessed pilots drinking cocktails and shots at airport bars. thinking they must be off duty, was stunned to see them with their little flight roller bags enter the plane's cabin ready to fly. You'd think security cameras would catch this. But even when reported doesn't always result in removal of the pilot. Anyway, now here we are doing the same thing with pot. We never learn. So what to do? Ask the good government of Singapore. Those people don't fool around: The possession, consumption, manufacturing, import, export, or trafficking of these and other controlled drugs in any amount are illegal. Persons caught with less than the Mandatory Death Penalty (MDP) amounts of these controlled substances face penalties ranging from caning (up to 24 strokes) to life in prison. Pursuant to a law change in 2009, cannabis (marijuana) and marijuana mixtures (diluted with other substances) are treated the same under Singapore law—the presumed intent is trafficking.

So you'd prefer to return to the Golden Era of organized crime that flourished during Prohibition? I guess this whole "freedom" thing we've got going here in America is nothing more than a bunch of overhyped bull****. Why is it fair to deny freedoms to people who are both capable and willing to consume things like alcohol and recreational drugs just because there is a segment of the population who can't or won't use them responsibly?

I'd honestly be interested to hear your answer, but probably won't push the issue any further, because I don't want to derail the thread entirely and this topic truly better suited for the politics forum.

people bashing bray here, need to step back and think of things from his perspective.

so, let's start with work ethic and attitude. very few people maintain a positive attitude and work hard when things are going poorly. it's rare. it's why neyland has his maxim of "putting on more steam". it's a natural instinct to lose enthusiasm when bad things happen. you have to fight through that.

most people work hard only for the reward, not the sake of doing a good job. people work hard at their job to get a raise, a promotion, fear of being fired, etc, etc, etc. most people aren't out to be the best damn plumber they can be for the sake of being a great plumber.

so, having said that, let's look at this again.

people will say he did not work hard at film study and other aspects of the game. he had a wr who didn't run routes worth a damn. the entire defense was clueless. now, people blame bray for whatever work ethic he had, but everyone blames sal for the defense being clueless. so, position coaches and sunseri working with these guys for an entire year and no one knew what they were doing is all on the coaches. is it possible that no one on the defensive side of the ball had the personal pride to know what they were doing?

my guess is that bray showed the amount of effort and hard work that everyone else on the team put into the program. heck, maybe even more. the coaching staff never demanded more and they never got more. the players didn't put forth that effort for the coaches or themselves.

it would take an extraordinary individual to behave in a manner different from the rest of the group. especially, considering that this particular individual was actually performing his individual task better than the vast majority of other individuals in the group.

sorry, for those who think it's just an excuse, but the effort that people put into the team and the disfunction that existed is the fault of the individual in charge of the team. if bray had played for nick saban, i guarantee he would have had a different attitude. that's the reason why i was shocked bray wasn't drafted. i don't know if he's a good kid, bad kid, whatever. i do believe that he was placed in an environment where there was little chance for a single individual to change that environment. i also believe that very few would have performed any better when placed in that environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
people bashing bray here, need to step back and think of things from his perspective.

so, let's start with work ethic and attitude. very few people maintain a positive attitude and work hard when things are going poorly. it's rare. it's why neyland has his maxim of "putting on more steam". it's a natural instinct to lose enthusiasm when bad things happen. you have to fight through that.

most people work hard only for the reward, not the sake of doing a good job. people work hard at their job to get a raise, a promotion, fear of being fired, etc, etc, etc. most people aren't out to be the best damn plumber they can be for the sake of being a great plumber.

people will say he did not work hard at film study and other aspects of the game. he had a wr who didn't run routes worth a damn. the entire defense was clueless. now, people blame bray for whatever work ethic he had, but everyone blames sal for the defense being clueless. so, position coaches and sunseri working with these guys for an entire year and no one knew what they were doing is all on the coaches. is it possible that no one on the defensive side of the ball had the personal pride to know what they were doing?

my guess is that bray showed the amount of effort and hard work that everyone else on the team put into the program. heck, maybe even more. the coaching staff never demanded more and they never got more. the players didn't put forth that effort for the coaches or themselves.

it would take an extraordinary individual to behave in a manner different from the rest of the group. especially, considering that this particular individual was actually performing his individual task better than the vast majority of other individuals in the group.

sorry, for those who think it's just an excuse, but the effort that people put into the team and the disfunction that existed is the fault of the individual in charge of the team. if bray had played for nick saban, i guarantee he would have had a different attitude. that's the reason why i was shocked bray wasn't drafted. i don't know if he's a good kid, bad kid, whatever. i do believe that he was placed in an environment where there was little chance for a single individual to change that environment. i also believe that very few would have performed any better when placed in that environment.

I think this sums up Bray's time here pretty well. He probably didn't do himself any favors, but he wasn't provided with a lot of the help that other NFL prospects receive.

Nice post 99, it would have taken a very special person to rise above the mess we've had the past few years. It will be interesting to see how Bray responds to some actual coaching.

They should be a rule that no college football player can get an agent till after draft and is still eligible to play in college if not drafted or can decline offer if late pick. Just sounds like a good ideal but ncaa does not get it!

Agree but should also stipulate if he continues college play it must be with the college he was with prior to entering the draft. Otherwise you'd be inviting a REAL mess.

So you'd prefer to return to the Golden Era of organized crime that flourished during Prohibition? I guess this whole "freedom" thing we've got going here in America is nothing more than a bunch of overhyped bull****. Why is it fair to deny freedoms to people who are both capable and willing to consume things like alcohol and recreational drugs just because there is a segment of the population who can't or won't use them responsibly?

I'd honestly be interested to hear your answer, but probably won't push the issue any further, because I don't want to derail the thread entirely and this topic truly better suited for the politics forum.

Naw, knowing how people are, I say just keep the death rate up with drunk drivers and now pilots, liver disease etc. Why deny a bad thing when it's so good at what it does? Heck bring back unregulated smoking too. repeal ALL gun laws, I want some RPGs with nuke warheads. Why not join 'em since you can't beat 'em?

They should be a rule that no college football player can get an agent till after draft and is still eligible to play in college if not drafted or can decline offer if late pick. Just sounds like a good ideal but ncaa does not get it!

Not a good IDEA at all...the mass amount of "flip-flop, wishy-washies" would be unmanageable. You would get these sophomores and juniors who think they are NFL material declare for the draft, go undrafted, and then return to a team they wanted to leave to begin with...what would that do for team chemistry and morale???

The whole point behind getting an agent is that person you are paying a percentage of your future incomes too is SUPPOSED to know where you would rank in terms of talent being drafted...doesn't always work out that way though.

Naw, knowing how people are, I say just keep the death rate up with drunk drivers and now pilots, liver disease etc. Why deny a bad thing when it's so good at what it does? Heck bring back unregulated smoking too. repeal ALL gun laws, I want some RPGs with nuke warheads. Why not join 'em since you can't beat 'em?

I know you were being sarcastic but I agree with this entire post.

America never ever has made sense with things like this because we refuse to learn from the past. Alcohol was legalized and taxed. What we get? Ruined lives, car deaths whether collisions or crushing pedestrians, and lately incidents of airline pilots working while intoxicated. I have witnessed pilots drinking cocktails and shots at airport bars. thinking they must be off duty, was stunned to see them with their little flight roller bags enter the plane's cabin ready to fly. You'd think security cameras would catch this. But even when reported doesn't always result in removal of the pilot. Anyway, now here we are doing the same thing with pot. We never learn. So what to do? Ask the good government of Singapore. Those people don't fool around: The possession, consumption, manufacturing, import, export, or trafficking of these and other controlled drugs in any amount are illegal. Persons caught with less than the Mandatory Death Penalty (MDP) amounts of these controlled substances face penalties ranging from caning (up to 24 strokes) to life in prison. Pursuant to a law change in 2009, cannabis (marijuana) and marijuana mixtures (diluted with other substances) are treated the same under Singapore law—the presumed intent is trafficking.

So. Now this thread has two subjects all of the dope smokers can agree upon. :matrix:

I may be wrong but I kind of wish the college players could opt out of contracts if they so choose.

I agree a 1000 percent.

Good for him. From his comments, he is definitely taking responsibility for his actions. Couldn't be in a better situation with Reid and the depth chart. Hope he has a great career.

Wish he'd listened to those on The Hill that tried to starighten him out as he could have had a great career at UT. I suppose figuring it out later is better than never figuring it out.

Reactions: 1 person

But don't we expect our star QB to be better than the rest--to work harder, to have a better attitude, to be a real leader--Bray never had any interest in doing so. The QB of a team like Tennessee shouldn't just be just one of the players; he should do more and should set the example for others to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
See, that's it right there. You wankers take a little criticism from Gruden and run with it, to make it fit your own twisted, un-informed narrative.

Gruden criticized Andrew Luck, just as much, last year. If I recall correctly, that's where the whole Spider Y Banana thing got started. Now, that must mean he is the next Ryan Leaf, right?

What a bunch of damn idiots that hang around this board. It was a shiity draft for all QB's not named EJ Emanuel. Comprende? Even Golden Boy, the recent Kiffin Prodigy, who was supposed to be a Top 5 pick in the draft LAST year, had he come out early....slid from a projected late 1st Rd pick, all the way to the 4th Rd.

There just weren't that many teams looking for a QB in the draft this year. Even teams that were expected to (KC, Browns, Jags, Cards), didn't. They either brought in a veteran instead, or apparently did not want to create a circus atmosphere around the ones they have.

Any other year and Bray probably goes by the 3-4th Rd.

Uh--you sure act like you got a man-crush on Bray--and I'll lay 50-1 that you've never put on a jockstrap in your life.

And I did watch the entire Gruden episode where he had Andrew Luck in the house. He NEVER said a discouraging word nor criticized Luck for his FB IQ, or lack of work ethic---and he dang sure didn't say that Luck made him want to throw up! In fact, he had high praise for Luck all through the program and even had more praise for Luck out on the field. He was joking with Luck because of his pick on that spyder route--and pointed out that Luck had been sneaking a peak earlier at the backside receiver and it got him in trouble.

My point is--Gruden IS an expert on the QB position--and REPRESENTS THE ATTITUDE of NFL GMs and coaches in his evaluation of Bray! And BTW--the DRAFT is already done and proves this point! Keep on defending Bray if you want and make yourself look silly.......:salute:

Jonathan Crompton blows your arguments out of the water! I know he had a different coach, but the talent level and difficulty of schedule were comparable. No one who has played the position at UT has probably suffered more criticism than him (other than M. Simms)...and he kept plugging and playing and was rewarded for his efforts!

My evaluation of Bray comes from watching his performance IN THE GAMES! He "magically" had the ability to put up 500 yd games against Troy and Georgia State, and the other weak sisters on the schedule, but played to his ability against quality teams. I've posted these stats on here before...they indicate a trend that I think will continue into the NFL...Strong arm--weak brain!

He had two arguably "top-10" receivers of the SEC on the field last year with a great O-line--got pressured or sacked very little--and still played poorly against almost every quality team except USCe...he just happened to be our best option--but not a very good QB...

Reality? What's real here is a bunch of you haters are stupid enough to eat your own...over what? A bunch of damn heresay? You don't have a clue as to whether Tyler Bray has an Football IQ or work ethic issue. Not a single freakin one of you do. Bunch of Monday morning QB's, talking like you know something. :loco:

Unless you are part of the team and can sit in on the same position meetings and such, you don't have any basis to be trashing the kid about work ethic and such.

Gruden does. Watch the QB Camp episode with Bray. It's obvious he has problems with awareness and protections.

Jonathan Crompton blows your arguments out of the water! I know he had a different coach, but the talent level and difficulty of schedule were comparable. No one who has played the position at UT has probably suffered more criticism than him (other than M. Simms)...and he kept plugging and playing and was rewarded for his efforts!

My evaluation of Bray comes from watching his performance IN THE GAMES! He "magically" had the ability to put up 500 yd games against Troy and Georgia State, and the other weak sisters on the schedule, but played to his ability against quality teams. I've posted these stats on here before...they indicate a trend that I think will continue into the NFL...Strong arm--weak brain!

He had two arguably "top-10" receivers of the SEC on the field last year with a great O-line--got pressured or sacked very little--and still played poorly against almost every quality team except USCe...he just happened to be our best option--but not a very good QB...

1. i did not say there were not exceptions. i basically was trying to say that most people have trouble fighting through adversity, especially if they are basically fighting alone.

so, the crompton example has some differences. first, whatever you may think of phil fulmer and lane kiffin, they had the respect and attention of the players they were coaching.

second, he had teammates that were giving a complete effort themselves.

in addition, for the most part, crompton was the one failing to do his job as well as the other individuals on the team he played for. this is a huge difference from bray.

2. i understand and have even argued that bray did not light it up against quality competition. however, it would also not be fair to acknowledge the reality that the offense, led mainly by the right arm of bray, was the main reason tennessee had a shot to win any ball game.

i still will stick with what i said and it even happens in the professional game. a lot of people have a hard time pushing themselves to excel in a hopeless situation. you see teams in week 13 that aren't going to the playoffs not play with the same effort that they did in week 1. and those guys are mature adults who are getting paid.

bray needed to be pushed by a competent coach. he needed to be pushed by other players at his position challenging his spot. he needed to be pushed by quality upperclassman who commanded respect.

he had none of that. some may not need it. he did and i think a lot would have been different if he received any of that.

The thing that I find funny is that the posters who want to blame Dooley or Chaney for Bray's inconsistent play won't afford the same luxury to Worley. If Bray played badly or didn't get drafted, they blame the coaches. If Worley played poorly, they say Worley's no good.

Reactions: 2 people
The thing that I find funny is that the posters who want to blame Dooley or Chaney for Bray's inconsistent play won't afford the same luxury to Worley. If Bray played badly or didn't get drafted, they blame the coaches. If Worley played poorly, they say Worley's no good.

Little bit different. Bray had plenty of moments of excellence to go along with the times he struggled, so people could see the potential to be great was there. Worley has never even looked so much as halfway competent.

VN Store

Back