Tyler Bray: "I may have stayed at TN, if I known that I wouldn't be drafted"

If Bray gets it together and goes to work { Maybe he will because this is probably his last chance } KC will have a great quarterback!

I'm still curious how they are gonna manage this problem when weed is legal in half the U.S. and not the other half. I mean we aren't that far away from it honestly. Sure they can say "Smoke weed and you don't work for us" but it won't be long before someone sues for that claiming its taking away a right (itd be like saying if you drink or smoke or buy lottery tickets you can't work for us) and I just don't see the NFL winning that one.

Well we'll cross that BLUNT when we get to it
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm still curious how they are gonna manage this problem when weed is legal in half the U.S. and not the other half. I mean we aren't that far away from it honestly. Sure they can say "Smoke weed and you don't work for us" but it won't be long before someone sues for that claiming its taking away a right (itd be like saying if you drink or smoke or buy lottery tickets you can't work for us) and I just don't see the NFL winning that one.

Well as far as the NFL goes, they only institute drug testing (for non PEDs) for players who have had drug related incidents. So I would imagine teams in states like California, Washington, and Colorado are less concerned about weed because it's either legal or basically legal in those states.

However, I would think that any type of drug abuse would become a bigger issue with teams if it's found in a player who has a penchant for finding themselves in trouble (see Justin Blackmon) or failing multiple drug tests (Da'rick).

I would imagine that most NFL teams wouldn't or don't worry about players they know smoke if they've shown themselves capable of passing their drug tests and saying out of trouble.

I never thought UT would have a more polarizing figure at QB than Jonathan Crompton but man....if Bray hasn't completely obliterated that notion.

I feel for the guy to some extent....his career at UT was supposed to be for a coach who, by most accounts, was a very likable and very knowledgeable coach to play for, but he winds up with almost the antithesis of that in Dooley.

He spent his Senior year in high school watching Kiffin rebuild Crompton from a QB whose confidence and ego were likely at all-time lows, into a QB who looked rejuvenated by the end of his career on the Hill...only to wind up with a coach who constantly reminds the media, fan base, and team "we're just not that good...."

He inherited one of the youngest OL I can remember and spent his freshman year running for his life. Then, just when the OL matures, his WR corps is one of the most envied in the SEC, and it looks as if the offense will be one of the most feared in all of college football, the Head Coach decides he wants to switch the defense to a 3-4 and hires one of THE WORST DC's I've ever seen...thereby putting an insurmountable amount of pressure on the offense to put points on the board.

And even though the offense he anchors turns out to be one of the highest-scoring ever at UT, it will always be accompanied with, and overshadowed by, THE WORST DEFENSE in the history of the University.

True.....he enjoyed himself a little too much while he was here, was likely his own worst enemy, (allegedly) wasn't the most well-liked individuals on the team, and one of his best friends was a WR who constantly berated the coaches, cursed them out, got into shouting matches with teammates in the locker room, and had an diva ego unrivaled by those not named Terrell Owens....he made his bed, now he's lying in it.

Still, I wish the guy the best. In the grand scheme of things, he didn't do anything off the field that I didn't do in my time there, so I'm not going to vilify him for being an immature college kid. However, he had the rare opportunity of being on the fast-track to NFL stardom and all but squandered it.

I hope the message all 32 teams sent to him by not drafting him sinks in, he learns from it, and makes it on a roster. He has the talent to be a starter one day and, being only 21, he can literally spend the majority of the next two decades making millions from the NFL.

I'm rooting for the kid....he deserves at least that much from me and the rest of the fan base.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Bottom line: Loser
He was awful when game on the line. He threw a game. He pouts. He doesn't hate losing. He is a loser and that don't play in the NFL. Arm strength?

Can't say how he would've reacted under cbj.

Bray MAY have returned and Bray MAY have found himself sitting on his ass on the bench.

quit being a hater. If the defense was ranked in the top 50 the Vols would have won 9 or 10. And Butch Jones is not a fool . He would have known that Bray was absolutely his best chanch of winning. When Bray was injured and Worley started and played he sucked 100 times worse than bray ever did in one game he was like 7 of 26 for under 90 yards, We VOL fans praise a single player ala Manning and berry to much and dog players like Bray to much .he is still a vol for life. maby he read what UT fans thought about him and that might be the reason he did not try his best and why he quit in a few games. When I was in high school I quit after playing as a freshmen and sophomore I did not play as a junior and my senior year we had a new coach and I joined the team two days before the first game and they started me out at mlb against the first team offense and in 25 plays run I made 3 sacks 9 tackles for loss and 5 other tackles including smashing the wide receiver on the other side of the field after he cought it and made a move and the db missed but I hit him so hard he got a concussion. I went 100 % while I was on the field and I expected everyone else to do the same but there were only 6 or 7 player on my high school team out of 39 team members that was talented enough to play at a schppl like webb or Maryville.SO I PLAYED A FEW GAMES WE BEAT CLAIBORNE COUNTY 6-0 AND LOST TO WEBB 13-7 AND LOSS TO GP 42 -6 AND SEYMORE BEAT US . and I realized I did not like to lose and I could not play qb,rb,wr on offense and de and lb on defense and kick all by my self and maby bray felt a little like that cause his defense couldn't stop people and they lost even if the offense got 40. it is common knowledge if you average 30 pts a game most of the time you will win almost every game but UT couldn't. because I hated playing on a losing team cause football takes 22 players unlike basketball

Reactions: 1 person
This is ridiculous. Blame the 18-21 kid. Cheney may have coached other successful players (you likely want to reference Brees), but did he do it with Dooley or Kiffin as his HC? Or how about Hamilton as his AD? Anyone who can look back objectively realizes that TN football was toxic from the top down (and I would argue that it starts with the booger eater).

Even if Bray INTENTIONALLY threw a few games, in reality he did TN a FAVOR. It resulted in Dooley's firing. He gave us the reasons needed to cut out the cancer.

But no, go ahead and blame the kid.

Go back and read my full post that you chose to partially posted, I clearly said Bray was partly to blame, not fully. Thanks.

I feel bad for bray and hope he makes the most of whatever chances he gets. He played for us during a time of turmoil and gave us something to be optimistic about. He showed a lot of moxie out there and is a talented qb. I really don't know how he got labeled as having character problems. He threw a beer bottle and did a spinout on a jet ski. Thank the lord they don't know all I did in college. That said its now obvious he should've stayed. If youre coming out as an underclass man you better not have any flaws in your game. anyway best of luck tb! Go represent

More importantly he has game management and decision problems. Have you seen the QB Camp episode where Gruden points it out several times? He has problems reading blitzes and assigning protection. See here:

Tyler Bray Gruden's QB Camp (Full Episode) - YouTube

Picture is small but interesting breakdowns.

I hope he burns it up in the NFL. I wish he would have stayed and somehow made a Heisman run in his senior year at UT, but that wasn't to be.

Good luck, Tyler Bray!

Reactions: 2 people
quit being a hater. If the defense was ranked in the top 50 the Vols would have won 9 or 10. And Butch Jones is not a fool . He would have known that Bray was absolutely his best chanch of winning. When Bray was injured and Worley started and played he sucked 100 times worse than bray ever did in one game he was like 7 of 26 for under 90 yards, We VOL fans praise a single player ala Manning and berry to much and dog players like Bray to much .he is still a vol for life. maby he read what UT fans thought about him and that might be the reason he did not try his best and why he quit in a few games. When I was in high school I quit after playing as a freshmen and sophomore I did not play as a junior and my senior year we had a new coach and I joined the team two days before the first game and they started me out at mlb against the first team offense and in 25 plays run I made 3 sacks 9 tackles for loss and 5 other tackles including smashing the wide receiver on the other side of the field after he cought it and made a move and the db missed but I hit him so hard he got a concussion. I went 100 % while I was on the field and I expected everyone else to do the same but there were only 6 or 7 player on my high school team out of 39 team members that was talented enough to play at a schppl like webb or Maryville.SO I PLAYED A FEW GAMES WE BEAT CLAIBORNE COUNTY 6-0 AND LOST TO WEBB 13-7 AND LOSS TO GP 42 -6 AND SEYMORE BEAT US . and I realized I did not like to lose and I could not play qb,rb,wr on offense and de and lb on defense and kick all by my self and maby bray felt a little like that cause his defense couldn't stop people and they lost even if the offense got 40. it is common knowledge if you average 30 pts a game most of the time you will win almost every game but UT couldn't. because I hated playing on a losing team cause football takes 22 players unlike basketball

Sure, that's it uncle Rico.

I never thought UT would have a more polarizing figure at QB than Jonathan Crompton but man....if Bray hasn't completely obliterated that notion.

I feel for the guy to some extent....his career at UT was supposed to be for a coach who, by most accounts, was a very likable and very knowledgeable coach to play for, but he winds up with almost the antithesis of that in Dooley.

He spent his Senior year in high school watching Kiffin rebuild Crompton from a QB whose confidence and ego were likely at all-time lows, into a QB who looked rejuvenated by the end of his career on the Hill...only to wind up with a coach who constantly reminds the media, fan base, and team "we're just not that good...."

He inherited one of the youngest OL I can remember and spent his freshman year running for his life. Then, just when the OL matures, his WR corps is one of the most envied in the SEC, and it looks as if the offense will be one of the most feared in all of college football, the Head Coach decides he wants to switch the defense to a 3-4 and hires one of THE WORST DC's I've ever seen...thereby putting an insurmountable amount of pressure on the offense to put points on the board.

And even though the offense he anchors turns out to be one of the highest-scoring ever at UT, it will always be accompanied with, and overshadowed by, THE WORST DEFENSE in the history of the University.

True.....he enjoyed himself a little too much while he was here, was likely his own worst enemy, (allegedly) wasn't the most well-liked individuals on the team, and one of his best friends was a WR who constantly berated the coaches, cursed them out, got into shouting matches with teammates in the locker room, and had an diva ego unrivaled by those not named Terrell Owens....he made his bed, now he's lying in it.

Still, I wish the guy the best. In the grand scheme of things, he didn't do anything off the field that I didn't do in my time there, so I'm not going to vilify him for being an immature college kid. However, he had the rare opportunity of being on the fast-track to NFL stardom and all but squandered it.

I hope the message all 32 teams sent to him by not drafting him sinks in, he learns from it, and makes it on a roster. He has the talent to be a starter one day and, being only 21, he can literally spend the majority of the next two decades making millions from the NFL.

I'm rooting for the kid....he deserves at least that much from me and the rest of the fan base.
I think that it's strange that Kiffin gets all the credit for rebuilding Crompton, while Crompton's parents give the credit to former Furman QB and Bengals Super Bowl head coach Sam Wyche. Then Dooley gets all the blame for Bray. I don't think that either head coach was as responsible as some think.

Tn is still up in the air about the QB position but I for one am glad he's gone. He may have had arm strength but I never saw him as an elite QB everyone else did. All of his "big time" stats came against very weak and lesser opponents. Will always link him and Poole and couple others to the KY loss. I think they threw that game!
I thought that Poole, as a senior, was upset with the effort of Bray, Da'Rick and some of the younger players for not giving effort and sending the seniors to a final bowl game.

This is just flat-out inaccurate. ALL the talent evaluators at espn had Bray as a mid-late round draft pick. They were basing that on his game film. What they didn't have access to were his interviews leading up to the draft. It would have to be those that caused him not to be drafted, because simply based on his performance and film, EVERYONE thought he would be drafted sooner or later.

See John Gruden's comments about Bray then come back and try to convince us of this garbage....

I've been a critic of Bray all along--He really only had 1 good game against a quality opponent--USCe 2012--and hasn't matured...I wish that I would have had his height and opportunity to play for the Big Orange! He had the opportunity to do what millions of Tennessee kids dream about and didn't respect it.

However, I do hope that he grows up and makes the most of his chance with Kansas City. GO VOLS!

I think that it's strange that Kiffin gets all the credit for rebuilding Crompton, while Crompton's parents give the credit to former Furman QB and Bengals Super Bowl head coach Sam Wyche. Then Dooley gets all the blame for Bray. I don't think that either head coach was as responsible as some think.

I read that article too, but I've also read where JC credited Kiffin as well...as to what degree or how much, I don't remember, but I do remember that he praised Kiffin for his efforts with him.

As for Dooley, I don't completely blame him for Bray's faults, the lion's share of responsibility lies on Bray, but DD's culpable, in at least a small portion.

While the roster Dooley inherited may have been devoid of a wealth of talent, for Dooley to allow (allegedly) a player like Rogers to repeatedly and without regard, disrespect a coach set a precedent that those with enough talent had free-reign and were all but untouchable....

I believe that set into motion a series of off-the-field events involving Bray & Rogers that ultimately culminated in the dismissal of Rogers from the team and stunted the maturation of Bray as a player and a person. Bray is an adult, so he's accountable for his actions, but Dooley was accountable for the growth of his football players on--and off--the field.

....something that he preached on, on more than one occasion.

So yes...Dooley shares some responsibility.

Last edited:
People with money (or their job) on the line didn't even take a league minimum bet on his being successful in the NFL. This should tell you everything you need to know. In fact, I sort of feel sorry for Dools (just a little mind you) for having to put up with Bray for as long as he did. When a team takes a gamble on a back-up punter instead of a guy who can throw it 65 yards flat-footed there is something else amok...and that something else is Frankenstein-ish. Just my $.02

Sorry - TB would not have been mentally or emotionally mature enough to have handled the Jones offense. Did not want.

Hope he grows up and does well in the NFL.

Do you think the Jones offense is as complex as Chaney's? I don't.

Why is it I picture the Bray haters with Cheetoh's stained fingers and dicky-do's?

Why the ?...reality catch up to you?
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reality? What's real here is a bunch of you haters are stupid enough to eat your own...over what? A bunch of damn heresay? You don't have a clue as to whether Tyler Bray has an Football IQ or work ethic issue. Not a single freakin one of you do. Bunch of Monday morning QB's, talking like you know something. :loco:

Unless you are part of the team and can sit in on the same position meetings and such, you don't have any basis to be trashing the kid about work ethic and such.

Bottom line: Loser
He was awful when game on the line. He threw a game. He pouts. He doesn't hate losing. He is a loser and that don't play in the NFL. Arm strength?

Can't say how he would've reacted under cbj.
Stupid is as Stupid speaks. Who knew Tyler was supposed to stop the other team's offense from scoring, too? :loco:

VN Store

Back