Tyler Bray should have stayed.

let's even address what people give up for known assets.

the cardinals traded a 2nd round pick and a pro bowl corner for kevin kolb.

the cardinals have fixed this problem with the acquisition of another known quantity, carson palmer. they gave up two draft picks for palmer

so, they have given up 3 draft picks and a pro bowl corner on two qb's. one sucks and the other has played 10 seasons and never won a playoff game.

that's right. carson palmer 0 playoff wins. tim tebow 1 playoff win. oh, and they both have started the same amount of playoff games.

i'm sure the tyler bray couldn't have made that team with brian hoyer, drew stanton, and ryan lindley backing up the great carson palmer.

but, that te from rutgers in the 7th round was too important to pass up

He will make a team. But with all that talent and ability, merely making a team is small change. Bray should have worked himself into being a top 10 pick. The first qb in this or next years draft. But he did not work himself into that spot. Anyone with a football background (not just a blind fan) saw it clearly. Thus he was not drafted.

Brady would have been undrafted as a junior if he had erroneously came out early and he had actually won some games. What was Tyler thinking.

I hear all the arguments and I for one think for the sake of TN it was better for him to go.

Not in terms of recruiting. Whether it is fair or not, the name of the school carries a lot of weight, even if the coach has changed. Bray put up solid numbers at UT, against SEC competition, and did not get drafted. Recruits are going to be reminded of that by competing coaches. Hell, the last UT QB to see real playing time in the NFL was Peyton, and he played at UT over fifteen years ago. I can't even think of a UT QB since Manning that has even been 2nd string on an NFL roster.

Why should he have stayed?? He knew that his draft stock would never be higher, than it is right now. That is his fault, and no one else's. He chose to be lazy and not study film, so it's in his lap as to why he didn't get drafted. I was rooting for him to be drafted from the 5th round on, but when he didn't get drafted, I felt somewhat bad for him. Then, I remembered all the God given talent he has and how he has almost squandered it all, and I don't remotely come close to feeling bad for the young man.

That being said, I could never wish a former Vol ill will, so I hope that he is the backup QB for someone for a while, then has his chance to shine. All he's got to do is work hard, and he will get that chance.

Reactions: 1 person
Breaking news Bray to KC,

__Breaking news, #1 rated QB of all time, signs as a UDFA to KC. In a shocking development the QB that has so much talent and his defense was so bad and had no players around him...wait they were either drafted for signed with NFL teams, somehow did not get drafted. It is shocking considering he has a great arm and and Dooley was his coach and well that is why he did not get drafted. And just you wait he is going to be the best QB of all time and you will probably buy his jersey, because now you want to buy Foster's jersey.

Wait they took it off.

He will make a team. But with all that talent and ability, merely making a team is small change. Bray should have worked himself into being a top 10 pick. The first qb in this or next years draft. But he did not work himself into that spot. Anyone with a football background (not just a blind fan) saw it clearly. Thus he was not drafted.

Brady would have been undrafted as a junior if he had erroneously came out early and he had actually won some games. What was Tyler thinking.

i understand all that.

but, let's look at it this way.

i've got two players.

player A has the talent to be successful. he is lazy and has an attitude.

player B doesn't have the talent to be successful. he is everything you could hope for off of the field.

in that league, you choose player A all the time. maybe you fix the attitude and laziness. maybe you don't.

but, you can't fix player B. player B doesn't have the tools and no amount of work and dedication will change that.

now, imo, i see many teams who select people in the draft who they should know better will never, ever be able to potentially get it done.

i mentioned yesterday as a joke and i know everyone will laugh at me for this....i am jax jaguars fan. we drafted blaine gabbert in the 1st round and 10th overall pick. someone tell me what you ever saw from blaine gabbert in college or his time in the nfl that would tell you he's better than tyler bray.

yet, a team like the jaguars is going to act like they can't waste a 6th round pick on a guy with all of the physical tools.

they can draft a punter in the 3rd round in 2012 (ahead of russell wilson).

they can draft a qb who never played wr to be a wr in the 5th round in 2013. (this is where the situation with da'rick is also funny).

can't take a chance on players like that. we're loaded.

now, if the argument is he should be a 1st round top of the draft pick, that's different. there's a lot that goes into that and all of those intangibles should keep him from being draft that high.

Last edited:
While watching the video of Coach Jones introducing himself to the team, I payed particular attention to Tyler Bray's demeanor. Jones was very up, but Tyler Bray definitely was not. He had the look of a highly jaded, stone cold skeptic, of the not interested variety.

I figure he would get drafted, but yes bad advice.

If he would have stayed and learned the system, he could have shown he was a good QB in 2 systems with a variety of WRs. He could have shown he has grown up and made better decisions off the field. It means he would have actually had to work at it and study film and practiced all summer. It means he would have had to be a leader.

who is his agent? his upside (physical ability) is high enough that it's surprising a team didn't take a flyer on him with a mid to late round pick.

I'm thinking (a) his agent sucks; (b) he didn't interview well; or (c) his previous coaches threw him under the bus when asked about bray. or all of the above.

Bray is the perfect example of California talent. The tattoo said it all before he even arrived in Knoxville.

A Dumbass.

Snotty west coast guys like Bray should just stay over there. UT doesn't need 'em. They come here thinking they're better than everyone else, and they just don't understand the south at all.

I lived in San Diego, and people there are self-centered *******s. Beautiful place, awesome food, awesome beaches. Surreal, but not in any way close to life in Knoxville. It does matter, and I think it was one of his biggest problems.

Bray had entitlement, or so he thought..Surprise kid. The mock drafts for 2014 were wrong...

He was homesick right off the bat, probably b/c he couldn't kick it to the beach every weekend.

SEC football is not a hobby like surfing or skateboarding, it means everything over here.

Great arm. Had a chance to threaten Manning's records, even with our weak returning WR's.

Would've easily been a first round pick had he stayed and proven to scouts an improvement on attitude and leadership.

I think we would be 7-5 or 8-4 with him staying.

The only plus out of this...Coach Jones can use it as an example to the next kid who tries to jump early.

Stokes made the right decision!!!

Reactions: 3 people
who is his agent? his upside (physical ability) is high enough that it's surprising a team didn't take a flyer on him with a mid to late round pick.

I'm thinking (a) his agent sucks; (b) he didn't interview well; or (c) his previous coaches threw him under the bus when asked about bray. or all of the above.

Has the same agent as Tom Brady

Bray is the perfect example of California talent. The tattoo said it all before he even arrived in Knoxville.

A Dumbass.

Snotty west coast guys like Bray should just stay over there. UT doesn't need 'em. They come here thinking they're better than everyone else, and they just don't understand the south at all.

I lived in San Diego, and people there are self-centered *******s. Beautiful place, awesome food, awesome beaches. Surreal, but not in any way close to life in Knoxville. It does matter, and I think it was one of his biggest problems.

Bray had entitlement, or so he thought..Surprise kid. The mock drafts for 2014 were wrong...

He was homesick right off the bat, probably b/c he couldn't kick it to the beach every weekend.

SEC football is not a hobby like surfing or skateboarding, it means everything over here.

Great arm. Had a chance to threaten Manning's records, even with our weak returning WR's.

Would've easily been a first round pick had he stayed and proven to scouts an improvement on attitude and leadership.

The only plus out of this...Coach Jones can use it as an example to the next kid who tries to jump early.

He's from the Fresno area. No where near the beach and its closer to the south in terms of culture and cost of living.

Honestly, from what we have seen from Coach Jones so far, and his expectations for players. I think He and Bray would have butted heads. Unlike Dooley, I think Coach Jones would have sent him packing. Bray probably picked up on that after meeting with Jones and if his mind wasnt already made up that would have sealed the deal.

I remember after a game I would stay somewhat optimistic despite our flaws because I thought that there was no way a team(player) could repeat the same mistakes over and over and over again. And that we could only get better by fixing our mistakes. But then I realized we didn't even acknowledge our mistakes when Bray said in an interview that he didnt watch the film of his last game because he thought there was no need to put himself through that.

There are people who soak in their flaws and try to fix them, and Tyler Bray is not one of those people.

I should have recognized it when he got that god awful tattoo, or his unsportsmanlike gestures, or when a friend of mine has met him and told me he was cocky and a dick to everyone.

But as a fanbase our orange tinted sunglasses kept hoping he would reach his full potential, and while he still has a chance to redeem himself, he has a long way to go to become relevant in the NFL. Let alone make a team.

i'll do a little exercise here and plead a case on behalf of mr. bray.

1. the physical talent is there. i think most agree on that. in the nfl, that typically trumps all at various points in the draft. i am not going to list all of the guys who were drafted who had character issues. they are numerous. and bray's issues don't involve drugs or a jail cell. but, these teams who research everything apparently didn't know erik ainge had a current drug problem or that danny wuerffel's arm wasn't strong enough, etc, etc, etc. or maybe they did and they were still drafted.

bottom line, someone drafted akili smith with the #3 overall pick. yet, tyler bray never was drafted.

2. what's so great about tennessee? again, think about this from bray's perspective.

year one. i start late my freshman year. probably my happiest year in knoxville.

year two. my offensive line can not run block. like on a comical level. yeah, it's fun slinging the ball around, but some help would be nice. oh, and i was injured.

year three. we fixed the offensive line. however, the defense decided to be this year's comedian. there were four occasions where we score 31 or more in conference games during the year and we lose those games. we gave up 48 to troy. i am the main guy people want to speak to in press conferences to explain why we are losing and i am the best damn thing going on this piece of crap squad.

after year three, coach moron is fired. while that's great, i have to deal with a new staff who is bringing in a new system. how much is he really going to worry about my future. i am a senior. we are going to get killed anyway. is he going to worry about the future of his program or is he going to worry about me? when the losses pile up (and they will), will he choose to bench me and move forward with the future of the program?

3. z. rogers, rivera, hunter, and patterson are all gone. well isnt that awesome

4. speaking of my attitude. surely people will remember i am 21 years old and my attitude can change. especially, if i am not put in a royally screwed up situation like tennessee where there was no leadership from the coaching staff and no leadership in the locker room. i mean who was i supposed to learn from about what it takes to be a great player. the minute i showed up to campus i was the best qb the school i had. my job was never threatened. it's hard for a young player to have the mental strength to put forward the extra effort when i am surrounded by a bunch of suck. so, yeah, excuse me if it got old being one of the few players who actually did his job at a reasonably high level and i didn't handle the culture of dooley very well.

5. it's still not going to be a good football team at tennessee.

6. it's a weak qb year in the nfl draft. really weak. like, somehow ryan nassib, tyler wilson and mike glennon were all rated ahead of me. do you really want to tell me that you'll draft bj daniels and a qb from southern utah over me because of immaturity at the age of 21. a 5th or 6th rounder is that much of a gamble?

3 kickers were drafted for crying out loud. from teams with a combined record of 17-31. teams that suck took picks on kickers, but there wasn't a team that would take a chance on da'rick rogers.

players may fail. but, that's not the point. there are players who were drafted who have no talent and will definitely fail.

sorry, i thought actually having talent was enough to have people take a chance on me since i never have been arrested or been linked to a drug problem. i'm sure no one with my issues was drafted

So much truth in this post. I think it hits the nail on the head repeatedly.

A Dumbass.

This is rich, you've got bray all figure out. We seriously have the most delisional fans in the country. Y'all are wishing our own players bad luck as they pursue a professional career.

If he had a winning season, where he played well late in big games, and became a reliable leader, who studied film religiously...

He would have been a first round pick. He had he best arm in the draft, he just also happened to have the worst head.

Absolutely correct. His not being drafted is 1 part Dooley/poor coaching/lack of player development, 2 parts his own lack of personal responsibility to make himself the player his talent says he ought to be.

I payed particular attention to Tyler Bray's demeanor. Jones was very up, but Tyler Bray definitely was not. He had the look of a highly jaded, stone cold skeptic, of the not interested variety.
Sort of how the league viewed him...

Coming back and proving he was an actual qb next year would not have helped? :lol: :eek:lol: :lol:

I don't think he would have been given a fair shot to do that. Even if he was, it would have meant Jones having to put his offensive system on hold for a year, which wouldn't have done UT any good in the long run. It MIGHT have gotten us a win or two extra this coming season. The spread option doesn't need an "actual QB", as you put it, it needs a mobile guy who can run around and make plays with the ball in his hands, Tyler Bray is DEFINITELY not that guy.

VN Store

Back