Tyler Bray should have stayed.

Bray is the perfect example of California talent. The tattoo said it all before he even arrived in Knoxville.

A Dumbass.

Snotty west coast guys like Bray should just stay over there. UT doesn't need 'em. They come here thinking they're better than everyone else, and they just don't understand the south at all.

I lived in San Diego, and people there are self-centered *******s. Beautiful place, awesome food, awesome beaches. Surreal, but not in any way close to life in Knoxville. It does matter, and I think it was one of his biggest problems.

Bray had entitlement, or so he thought..Surprise kid. The mock drafts for 2014 were wrong...

He was homesick right off the bat, probably b/c he couldn't kick it to the beach every weekend.

SEC football is not a hobby like surfing or skateboarding, it means everything over here.

Great arm. Had a chance to threaten Manning's records, even with our weak returning WR's.

Would've easily been a first round pick had he stayed and proven to scouts an improvement on attitude and leadership.

I think we would be 7-5 or 8-4 with him staying.

The only plus out of this...Coach Jones can use it as an example to the next kid who tries to jump early.

Stokes made the right decision!!!

Yeah, California qbs never make it. Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady and Troy Aikman are nothing short of miserable failures

Chaney coached quarterbacks. The rest of your post was correct.

I recall articles quoting Chaney saying that he and Bray took turns yelling at each other, that everything was fine. I had never heard a coach saying something like that about a player. I don't think Bray showed his position coach any more respect than he showed his head coach, and I don't think he showed Bajakian and Jones any respect either. It very well could be that not one of his former coaches spoke up for him during the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It's impossible to defend a guy who admits he didnt work as hard as he could have. But man, we turn on guys around here

Im one of them, but there were a couple of times i think he messed up on purpose to get even with DD, cant swear to it, but if he did then thats about as low as you can sink to.:eek:hmy:

I don't think he would have been given a fair shot to do that. Even if he was, it would have meant Jones having to put his offensive system on hold for a year, which wouldn't have done UT any good in the long run. It MIGHT have gotten us a win or two extra this coming season. The spread option needs a mobile guy who can run around and make plays with the ball in his hands, Tyler Bray is DEFINITELY not that guy.

Given a fair shot? How 'bout make your own "break"? Play the best football of your life and make the coach scrap that option crap for one year while you go out and beat Oregon Florida & Bama on the road. Bray was running from discipline and accountability by declaring early and the smart folks knew it. You can not name one drive from the past 3 years that screams "NFL QB, and leader of men". Not a single one. He was not even first team all-SEC. Or 2nd team. He was not a leader nor a winner. The NFL recognized that fact and drafted him accordingly.

I don't think he would have been given a fair shot to do that. Even if he was, it would have meant Jones having to put his offensive system on hold for a year, which wouldn't have done UT any good in the long run. It MIGHT have gotten us a win or two extra this coming season. The spread option doesn't need an "actual QB", as you put it, it needs a mobile guy who can run around and make plays with the ball in his hands, Tyler Bray is DEFINITELY not that guy.
So we dont need a QB to run the offence.:eek:lol:

I recall articles quoting Chaney saying that he and Bray took turns yelling at each other, that everything was fine. I had never heard a coach saying something like that about a player. I don't think Bray showed his position coach any more respect than he showed his head coach, and I don't think he showed Bajakian and Jones any respect either.

Like I said before, I HEARD Bray say that he did NOT listen to his father. He said "it is my dad, what does he know? It just goes in one ear and out of the other one". That spoke volumes about the kind of "man" Bray is.

Hate or dislike Bray, I am just glad the draft is finally over. Hopefully we can finally put this chapter of vols football behind us and look to better days.

Reactions: 6 people
Let's not forget that he declared before Dooley decided that he needed to trash the kid in order to get a coaching job and make sure none of the problems were blamed on him. It's VERY hard to believe that Dooley isn't a major factor in this.

I feel kinda sorry for the kid. After the Kiffin debacle he did the honorable thing and chose to stay at UT and for 3yrs all this fan base has done is lay blame for the inadequacies of our team at his feet.

Point - He's not a leader.
Counter Point - The HC was hardly a leader. But an 18-20yr old kid should've intrinsically been better? He should've demanded that our mediocre RB's perform better. I agree.

Point - He makes poor decisions on the field.
Counter Point - I seem to recall tons of complaints regarding Jim Chaney's play calling. Didn't he abandon the run the entire 2nd half of the FL game? That's not on Bray. Perhaps his position coach could've helped. They didn't even try to teach him accountability until this year's Vandy game. That's on the coaches!

Point - He should've stayed and learned Butch's system.
Counter Point - Bray is almost as slow as Casey Clausen. That dog was never gonna hunt. He'd get killed running the zone read.

Point - He was immature off the field.
Counter Point - He drove too close to some folks while on a jet ski and threw some beer bottles at a dumpster and hit a parked car. Seriously? Guys with drug addictions and criminal records got drafted.

Point - He couldn't win the tough games.
Counter Point - He had the worst defense in the history of the program. Was it his fault UT couldn't put away teams like Troy, Akron, Miss St.

IMO, Bray stuck it out at UT during it's worst spell in a generation. It wasn't what he signed up for but he stayed and he never badmouthed his team or the university. I still haven't heard him say a single negative thing about Dooley and Lord knows there's plenty he could complain about. How 'bout we Vol fans simply say good luck to the young man and wish him the best.

Reactions: 8 people
Let's not forget that he declared before Dooley decided that he needed to trash the kid in order to get a coaching job and make sure none of the problems were blamed on him. It's VERY hard to believe that Dooley isn't a major factor in this.

It's possible. I thought I couldn't possibly have a lower opinion of Dooley, but if this turns out to be true, then he's an even bigger sack of **** than I had previously thought.

I feel kinda sorry for the kid. After the Kiffin debacle he did the honorable thing and chose to stay at UT and for 3yrs all this fan base has done is lay blame for the inadequacies of our team at his feet.

Point - He's not a leader.
Counter Point - The HC was hardly a leader. But an 18-20yr old kid should've intrinsically been better? He should've demanded that our mediocre RB's perform better. I agree.

Point - He makes poor decisions on the field.
Counter Point - I seem to recall tons of complaints regarding Jim Chaney's play calling. Didn't he abandon the run the entire 2nd half of the FL game? That's not on Bray. Perhaps his position coach could've helped. They didn't even try to teach him accountability until this year's Vandy game. That's on the coaches!

Point - He should've stayed and learned Butch's system.
Counter Point - Bray is almost as slow as Casey Clausen. That dog was never gonna hunt. He'd get killed running the zone read.

Point - He was immature off the field.
Counter Point - He drove too close to some folks while on a jet ski and threw some beer bottles at a dumpster and hit a parked car. Seriously? Guys with drug addictions and criminal records got drafted.

Point - He couldn't win the tough games.
Counter Point - He had the worst defense in the history of the program. Was it his fault UT couldn't put away teams like Troy, Akron, Miss St.

IMO, Bray stuck it out at UT during it's worst spell in a generation. It wasn't what he signed up for but he stayed and he never badmouthed his team or the university. I still haven't heard him say a single negative thing about Dooley and Lord knows there's plenty he could complain about. How 'bout we Vol fans simply say good luck to the young man and wish him the best.

Very well said.

It's possible. I thought I couldn't possibly have a lower opinion of Dooley, but if this turns out to be true, then he's an even bigger sack of **** than I had previously thought.

My sentiments exactly. It was reported in a Sports Illustrated article, but I can't seem to find it right now. I mean, there's no reason why some of the QB's that got drafted ahead of Bray should have been drafted ahead of him, unless he was trashed by Dooley. His antics here were unsettling at times, but he put up the numbers at least to be drafted.

My sentiments exactly. It was reported in a Sports Illustrated article, but I can't seem to find it right now. I mean, there's no reason why some of the QB's that got drafted ahead of Bray should have been drafted ahead of him, unless he was trashed by Dooley. His antics here were unsettling at times, but he put up the numbers at least to be drafted.

I don't really see Dooley's angle on this one though unless he's truly so pissed off he's rather exact some vengeance on a 21 year old than help his own future career prospects. He managed to take a guy who has as much or more talent than ANY QB in this year's draft, and turn him into an undrafted FA. That doesn't exactly look good on Dooley's resume either. Perhaps he just realizes that after the UT deal, he's probably never getting another HC job, so he doesn't care how it makes him look.

I seriously doubt Butch encouraged Bray to stay. Butch is quoted as saying the QB isn't just a leader of the offense but is a leader of the team, that the QB sets the pace and the culture for a team.

Just look how Hunter gave his all for himself last year, CP's on field pouting, Bray's obvious lack of preparation. (When he was on Gruden's show, Gruden had to prompt Bray on what his progressions are on a commone route tree.) It was all about "me" and no need even to go back to the KY disaster of '11.

Actually I don't think Butch encouraged any of those guys to stay.

I seriously doubt Butch encouraged Bray to stay. Butch is quoted as saying the QB isn't just a leader of the offense but is a leader of the team, that the QB sets the pace and the culture for a team.

Just look how Hunter gave his all for himself last year, CP's on field pouting, Bray's obvious lack of preparation. (When he was on Gruden's show, Gruden had to prompt Bray on what his progressions are on a commone route tree.) It was all about "me" and no need even to go back to the KY disaster of '11.

Actually I don't think Butch encouraged any of those guys to stay.

Bray is one thing, and a variety of arguments can easily be made for why Jones might have encouraged him to move on. If he didn't do everything in his power to try talk Hunter and Patterson into coming back for 2013 then he's a damn fool.

Reactions: 3 people
Dooley was a terrible head. He could very well be the worse HC in Tennessee history.

He is not the reason Bray did not get drafted. Brays childish attitude is the reason he was not drafted.

Dooley's mistake was starting Bray. He should have sat him out a game or two early on and let him know it takes more than a great arm to be a good qb.
Dooley played the arm and that was a mistake and it showed in the record against quality opponents. Bray was not ready to be a starting qb in the brutal SEC, not because of ability, but because of immaturity. Dooleys mistake was sticking with Bray.

I have watched TN football since the 1960's and Bray is the only QB i have ever saw wearing the orange to give up in a game, act as he did on the sidelines.

I cannot think of one starting qb from TN that I would start Bray ahead of simply due to his attitude. His attitude has now cost him millions of dollars.

Bray is the perfect example of California talent. The tattoo said it all before he even arrived in Knoxville.

A Dumbass.

Snotty west coast guys like Bray should just stay over there. UT doesn't need 'em. They come here thinking they're better than everyone else, and they just don't understand the south at all.

I lived in San Diego, and people there are self-centered *******s. Beautiful place, awesome food, awesome beaches. Surreal, but not in any way close to life in Knoxville. It does matter, and I think it was one of his biggest problems.

Bray had entitlement, or so he thought..Surprise kid. The mock drafts for 2014 were wrong...

He was homesick right off the bat, probably b/c he couldn't kick it to the beach every weekend.

SEC football is not a hobby like surfing or skateboarding, it means everything over here.

Great arm. Had a chance to threaten Manning's records, even with our weak returning WR's.

Would've easily been a first round pick had he stayed and proven to scouts an improvement on attitude and leadership.

I think we would be 7-5 or 8-4 with him staying.

The only plus out of this...Coach Jones can use it as an example to the next kid who tries to jump early.

Stokes made the right decision!!!
People on here that act like Knoxville is one of the top places to live in the US just because it is where our favorite football team is located and Saturday game days are great. Just stfu. Knoxville didnt ruin brats career our pos coach did

People on here that act like Knoxville is one of the top places to live in the US just because it is where our favorite football team is located and Saturday game days are great. Just stfu. Knoxville didnt ruin brats career our pos coach did

No need to call Tyler a brat

Michael Schottey ‏@Schottey 6m
One scout just texted that his GM refuses to even consider Tyler Bray (QB Tennessee)…called his whiteboard interview the worst he'd seen.

Michael Schottey ‏@Schottey 2m
Apparently, some of Tennessee's other players in this class aren't exactly fond of Bray & didn't do him any favors when asked about him

Michael Schottey ‏@Schottey 6m
One scout just texted that his GM refuses to even consider Tyler Bray (QB Tennessee)…called his whiteboard interview the worst he'd seen.

Michael Schottey ‏@Schottey 2m
Apparently, some of Tennessee's other players in this class aren't exactly fond of Bray & didn't do him any favors when asked about him

Ouch.

VN Store

Back